15 GPS satellites, but GPS repeatedly drops

Reaction score
Took my new P3 Adv for its first flight today and I'm having issues with GPS signal dropping. It's really odd because the entire flight, since takeoff, I had 15 GPS satellites locked, but while flying, I repeatedly encountered my bird's status switching to "Non-GPS". While still saying 15 satellites. After several seconds it would return to GPS mode, and this happened multiple times.

Firmware and app has been to updated to the latest. I'm flying in a large park, near an urban area, but separated by the park and a lake. Always flew my P2 here without any sign of issues. If it's due to interference (I didn't think GPS was susceptible except for line of sight to the sky being blocked) it might be relevant to add that I encountered some signal drops of my video feed and control, but that seemed to be distance-related only.

I'm concerned about losing both GPS and control at the same time.

The only time that I had that happen was when one of my batteries didn't get the right update because of a bad sd card. I would get occasional signal interruptions and it would show the connection lost and I would lose the camera even though it would fly just fine. I would double check the firmware and drop the .bin file in again if you think that this might be the issue.

Thanks. I'm a bit confused on the updating actually - there doesn't seem to be a way to verify the batteries were upgraded successfully, or to see the version of the controller firmware?

I did the upgrade, checked the log file and it was successful. Switched to the second battery, checked the log, and it said firmware was already up to date. So it seems it doesn't log a battery update?

For the controller, I'm not sure if I'm up to date or not or which upgrade method I'm supposed to do. I tried both and got no indication of anything happening.

Last note -- I was losing video or control at < 2k ft distance unobstructed, which I thought was short for the claimed specs.

Havent seen that before..
I've see it switch to ATTI even if you have +15 sats. This is to prevent flyaways if the compass provides erroneous data to the GPS.

Took my new P3 Adv for its first flight today and I'm having issues with GPS signal dropping. It's really odd because the entire flight, since takeoff, I had 15 GPS satellites locked, but while flying, I repeatedly encountered my bird's status switching to "Non-GPS". While still saying 15 satellites. After several seconds it would return to GPS mode, and this happened multiple times.

Firmware and app has been to updated to the latest. I'm flying in a large park, near an urban area, but separated by the park and a lake. Always flew my P2 here without any sign of issues. If it's due to interference (I didn't think GPS was susceptible except for line of sight to the sky being blocked) it might be relevant to add that I encountered some signal drops of my video feed and control, but that seemed to be distance-related only.

It never occurred before but after upgrading to DJI Go app to 2.5, I noticed GPS lock dropping. I ignored it as I didn't go out to field and tried it.

I also noticed that after getting lock again I get the home point set again. That's scary as if that happens during flight, home point will be set some where else.

It never occurred before but after upgrading to DJI Go app to 2.5, I noticed GPS lock dropping. I ignored it as I didn't go out to field and tried it.
I also noticed that after getting lock again I get the home point set again. That's scary as if that happens during flight, home point will be set some where else.

But you can set your home point to the rc anyway, you know. Let us know if it dumps the home point away from the rc for sure.

kurupted, are you on the new 1.6 or 1.7? If you are then the rc updates through the go-app now and if you go into the menu, drop down to the bottom and then hit that button... can't remember is it 3 dots? Then hit "About", it tells you the versions that everything is running. For batteries, you put the .bin file on the sd card and then put the battery in the drone and turn it on. It takes a few minutes to update and the light on the gimbal above and facing the camera turns green and you here a few beeps when it's done.

Same happened to me...actually, it happened after I'd returned it to place of purchase, and while the tech was doing a test fly, he got the weak GPS signal even though he had plenty of sats locked. Mine also is a P3A, brand new...I had two days of flying with it when it dropped itself into p-OPTI mode and took off and crashed into a tree. I'd also upgraded to 1.6 before ever flying...is there a problem with 1.6, or the DJI Go app, or what? This scares me. I'm still waiting on a decision re: whether they'll replace with a new one or what...apparently they're waiting on DJI. :(

I def noticed the upgrade of transmitter app and firmware f**ked my p3 advance gps as well

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nope can't be bothered just won't fly until someone else reports it or others start noticing plus I'm in bali so just chilling out; )

Also it doesn't decent like it used to I'm having trouble getting away from the birds when i decent

Nope can't be bothered just won't fly until someone else reports it or others start noticing plus I'm in bali so just chilling out; )

Fair enough...any idea what firmware is in the P3A when you first pull it out of the box new? I never checked mine, I just upgraded it to 1.6 before ever flying because having the latest firmware is what you're instructed to do. :(

Reactions: satchy
Correct well mine originally came with one if the first fws but the only reason i updated is because the dji app wouldn't last me lift off unless updated on the transmitter although litchi world great still and follow me on the dji was also not working so i updated i don't understand why they just don't leave **** alone if it is working hahaha

Correct well mine originally came with one if the first fws but the only reason i updated is because the dji app wouldn't last me lift off unless updated on the transmitter although litchi world great still and follow me on the dji was also not working so i updated i don't understand why they just don't leave **** alone if it is working hahaha

That's the problem with these updates, if it's not the firmware causing problems it's the Go app. It stinks. I'm amazed anyone ever gets to fly at all.

Be careful... Ole saying lose GPS lose craft!

Mine was purchased during Black Friday sale & arrived with 1.3.20 FW. Personally I think it's a mistake to update before flying the way it arrived. This way you have a basis for comparison if you eventually choose to update.

Mine flew perfectly with 1.3.20. I updated to 1.4.10 to get the IOC features & 2.7K cam update (for Advanced) but haven't flown since installing.

Fair enough...any idea what firmware is in the P3A when you first pull it out of the box new? I never checked mine, I just upgraded it to 1.6 before ever flying because having the latest firmware is what you're instructed to do. :(

Reactions: satchy and dirtybum
If they replace it under warranty, I don't think I will upgrade immediately again, there seem to be too many issues with 1.6 already. So which one of these should new owners be looking at updating to? Is the last one, v1.4 actually an update, or just instructions on HOW to update?

fw.jpg

Mine was purchased during Black Friday sale & arrived with 1.3.20 FW. Personally I think it's a mistake to update before flying the way it arrived. This way you have a basis for comparison if you eventually choose to update.

Mine flew perfectly with 1.3.20. I updated to 1.4.10 to get the IOC features & 2.7K cam update (for Advanced) but haven't flown since installing.

It appears DJI removed the 1.4.10 FW, or at least the link. I have the 1.4 files for both Pro & Advanced if you need them. Will depend on what is installed when you get yours back.

If they replace it under warranty, I don't think I will upgrade immediately again, there seem to be too many issues with 1.6 already. So which one of these should new owners be looking at updating to? Is the last one, v1.4 actually an update, or just instructions on HOW to update?

View attachment 40430

It appears DJI removed the 1.4.10 FW, or at least the link. I have the 1.4 files for both Pro & Advanced if you need them. Will depend on what is installed when you get yours back.

Thanks, will keep that in mind, appreciate it :)
What version of the Go app do you have, did you update to the latest?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl