How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0

So you're not putting extra stress on your equipment if not needed. And since DJI designed the equipment to run at 20 in FCC mode. It's like when you overclock a PC, it runs faster but maybe at the cost of the equipment.

I understood that reference! Thanks!

No need to be sorry, I can take it! So why is 20 recommended and not 27 then? If there is no real danger?

AFAIK, if you 're using stock antenna, then it's okay to push it to 27dbm.
i guess this 20dbm recommended value is for anyone using antenna mod on 24ghz.
but for me, 20dbm RC + 24dbm AC is enough... :)

AFAIK, if you 're using stock antenna, then it's okay to push it to 27dbm.
i guess this 20dbm recommended value is for anyone using antenna mod on 24ghz.
but for me, 20dbm RC + 24dbm AC is enough... :)

Complete noob here, why is the RC and AC dbm different?

Also, after running the Magic 4 patch, do you need to manually change the channel? I don't fully understand the channel 13 thingo? Where is the noobs guide for noobs?

Since you're in the states and on FCC like myself, I wanted to ask if you did this mod and how it worked for you. Any errors or other issues with the install? Did making the drone set to 24dBm help? Also have the DBS installed w/o amps.

I wisely or unwisely attempted to mod my settings manually, e.g. FTP into RC and modify rcS file directly. In the process, I bricked my RC. **** those file permission settings! However, the experience gained from unbricking has proven invaluable in learning the inner workings of the RC and Drone. Everything is working fine now, though I am trying to validate whether the RC and Drone auto regulate their power levels based on some sort of QoS process, hence my question on the limit vs fixed setting with regard to the tx power setting. I plan to try some test flights and telnet into the RC to see what the tx power settings are at various distances. My theory is that they should increase as the distance increases if I have the limit setting. I'll then try it with fixed to see if there is a marked difference in performance/range.

For those who don't want to deal with the possibility of a bricked RC or are not into reverse engineering, I'd recommend using PapaTita's approach. Me, I am a glutten for punishment...;)

Reactions: sinxa
Complete noob here, why is the RC and AC dbm different?

Also, after running the Magic 4 patch, do you need to manually change the channel? I don't fully understand the channel 13 thingo? Where is the noobs guide for noobs?
First off No, there are no guides for a noob. This mod is a hack, noobs beware!!
Next, "Complete noob here, why is the RC and AC dbm different?" Because the CE mode people just want to get their RC at least up to the FCC mode level and not push it harder if not needed. The reason the AC might be brought higher than 20dbm is because the important data (video & telemetry) is being sent via wifi from the AC down to us at the RC.

Reactions: PapaTita
hi guys, hi PapaTita,
first i want to thank papatita and all the involved guys who made the mod possible, your work is highly appreciated!

now my qestions:
1) i've done the mod in v4.0 (which only sets the RC to 20dbm, as far is i've been informed) right ?
2) i bought and installed the dbs mod (itelite) - can i leave the mod active in combination with the dbs mod (itelite) ?
3) how exactly does the mod work, if i read correctly it sets the dbm settings of the rc to 20dbm in a circle of every 10 seconds, and if the connection gets lost it heightens it to 27dbm, correct ?
4) if i am right with point 3: is it possible to set it permanently to 20db or even 22 ord 24 withouth running the script every 10 seconds ?

thanks in advance
- this community seems pretty great and helpful, even though i just read all the posts regarding that mather until now - because i couldnt find any answer to that perticular question.

:edit:
dji go on android
fw: 1.5.7.

hi guys, hi PapaTita,
first i want to thank papatita and all the involved guys who made the mod possible, your work is highly appreciated!

now my qestions:
1) i've done the mod in v4.0 (which only sets the RC to 20dbm, as far is i've been informed) right ?
2) i bought and installed the dbs mod (itelite) - can i leave the mod active in combination with the dbs mod (itelite) ?
3) how exactly does the mod work, if i read correctly it sets the dbm settings of the rc to 20dbm in a circle of every 10 seconds, and if the connection gets lost it heightens it to 27dbm, correct ?
4) if i am right with point 3: is it possible to set it permanently to 20db or even 22 ord 24 withouth running the script every 10 seconds ?

thanks in advance
- this community seems pretty great and helpful, even though i just read all the posts regarding that mather until now - because i couldnt find any answer to that perticular question.

:edit:
dji go on android
fw: 1.5.7.
I'll be wanting for some good answers as well. But on your #1, it's going to set the RC at 20dbm only if you marked that check box, otherwise I believe the AC and the RC are set to the number you selected above that. Side note, your questions keep referring to the RC's dbm setting but never ask about the AC's setting.

Yes, wmcvey i was only talking aboit the rc settings. Which seem to be working fine anyway, because i can still controll the drone after i lose video connection. This leads me to the conclusion that i need to up the drone dbm (ac) too because the video is beeing sent down to the rc.
Did i recon that correct or is there any failure in my logic?

Regards,

Yes, wmcvey i was only talking aboit the rc settings. Which seem to be working fine anyway, because i can still controll the drone after i lose video connection. This leads me to the conclusion that i need to up the drone dbm (ac) too because the video is beeing sent down to the rc.
Did i recon that correct or is there any failure in my logic?

Regards,
Yes to a point, when the video downlink is going out it would be the AC's wifi signal that increasing should help I would think. The only thing I didn't want you to be confused about is when you're saying "because i can still control the drone after i lose video connection". The RC control of the AC has nothing to do with this mod. This mod works with the wifi signal only, the control of the craft is a totally different thing.

Reactions: Philltayl
Thx for your answer wmcvey!

Can someone shed some light into the other unknown points?

To be clear, this mod is only affecting the transmit power of the 2.4Ghz signal which is what provides video and telemetry data from the drone to the RC. You'd want the drone to have a strong signal so you can receive the video/telemetry on your RC. The actual control of your drone is done over a seperate 5.8Ghz signal which this mod has nothing to do with. So when you loose your video and telemetry but can still control your drone, that is because your RC is no longer receiving the 2.4Ghz signal from your drone but your drone is still receiving the 5.8Ghz signal from your RC.

Ok, so why heighten the rc signal when its only receiving? Wouldnt it make more sense to heighten the ac downlink signal if 2.4ghz is responsible for sending video and telemtry down to the rc? Right ?! Because as far as i know i have just heighten the signal of the rc to 20dbm, the ac is still running at 17dbm.

Ok, so why heighten the rc signal when its only receiving? Wouldnt it make more sense to heighten the ac downlink signal if 2.4ghz is responsible for sending video and telemtry down to the rc? Right ?! Because as far as i know i have just heighten the signal of the rc to 20dbm, the ac is still running at 17dbm.

I agree, I'd boost the AC transmit power. Did you enable telnet on your RC? If so, type in iwinfo at the prompt and paste output here.

Last edited:
No not correct, if you ran the program and set it to 20dbm, than both the RC and AC are set to 20dbm. (FCC mode). With this mod I don't think it's possible to set the drone lower than the RC. And as for the other part as to way set the RC higher at all? I think that's because being it's true wifi there's still some two way (back and forth) communication between the two, even though the buck of the data is coming down. Just like at home when you're downloading a file from the internet, the bulk of the data is coming down to you. But there's still some communication going upstream also, like error checking.

Ok, so why heighten the rc signal when its only receiving? Wouldnt it make more sense to heighten the ac downlink signal if 2.4ghz is responsible for sending video and telemtry down to the rc? Right ?!

wifi (2.4g that is used to send video and telemetries) is 2 way communication, it means that every data packet send must be confirmed by the receiver to the sender. although it seems "the RC is only receiving video and telemtry data", but actually they work 2 way. thats why this methode makes video latency is higher and a little hard to reconnect once it lost connection.

differ from the 5.8g control, it only one way communication from RC to AC. and RC does not event need to be confirmed whether the command successfully reach the AC or not. the 5.8g signal strenght measured by the AC reported back to the RC included in telemetry data via 2.4g. that's why you can suddenly move your gimbal as soon as booth RC and AC are turned on for the first time while your apps still show 'disconnected' and your RC big led is still red.

---------------------

After you understand this, now this is the reason why i set the AC little bit higher then RC. Its because the design of AC's 2.4g antenna is omnidirectional while the RC's 2.4g antenna is directional.
Omni antenna need to spread the signal 360 degrees arround, that's why it needs more power. And directional antenna focuses on certain angle, so it will need less power to gain same dintance as the omni.

cmiiw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squinly
wifi (2.4g that is used to send video and telemetries) is 2 way communication, it means that every data packet send must be confirmed by the receiver to the sender. although it seems "the RC is only receiving video and telemtry data", but actually they work 2 way. thats why this methode makes video latency is higher and a little hard to reconnect once it lost connection.

differ from the 5.8g control, it only one way communication from RC to AC. and RC does not event need to be confirmed whether the command successfully reach the AC or not. the 5.8g signal strenght measured by the AC reported back to the RC included in telemetry data via 2.4g. that's why you can suddenly move your gimbal as soon as booth RC and AC are turned on for the first time while your apps still show 'disconnected' and your RC big led is still red.

---------------------

After you understand this, now this is the reason why i set the AC little bit higher then RC. Its because the design of AC's 2.4g antenna is omnidirectional while the RC's 2.4g antenna is directional.
Omni antenna need to spread the signal 360 degrees arround, that's why it needs more power. And directional antenna focuses on certain angle, so it will need less power to gain same dintance as the omni.

cmiiw.
But the question is.. How to set the AC power through papatita's software?

Sent from my D6503 using PhantomPilots mobile app

But the question is.. How to set the AC power through papatita's software?

Sent from my D6503 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is how i did it....
P3S_27dBm_Updater_Magic 4.0.jpg

and here is the result....
litchi waypoints lost signal : 700+ meters distance at 50meters altitude, on the city.
Stock antenna + windsurfer.
Screenshot_2016-10-03-18-34-50.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaTita
That's why in the application there is options "Limit RC to 20 dBm", use this if you use amps like sunhans.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Don't want to overdrive my RC, so I want to make sure here. Since I have a DBS but without any amps. It's all right to set the RC to 24dBm, correct??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez