How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0

Dont forget even though stocks antenna but with additional windsurfer that is able to focus and improve the signal

I notice that there were significant differences in each video: the altitude, weather, location and app used. It's great information, but it would have been ideal if everything else that affects distance had been kept the same.

Also, you see from the last video that he has the omnidirectional antenna for the control signal and the directional panels for the video/telemetry (which are angled at 45° for some reason). My ArgTEK kit has three omnidirectional and three directional antennas. I'd assumed that the directional panels would be better for distance, but maybe that's not the case. I'd also assumed the directional panels had to be pointing straight up or down (parallel to the omnidirectional control antenna), but maybe that's not the case either.

Anyway, all the videos show that the Magic Power mod significantly improves the video/telemetry range, so thanks again to PapaTita!

Thanks PapaTita!! So just for reference, I checked if the openWrt installed on the Phantom uses procd or the inittab so I could write an init service instead of modifying the dijled.sh but unfortunately they modified the rcS (and disabled various services) so no luck and we are stuck using the dijled script or modifying the rcS.

For the moment I'm going with the dijled script too. I'm writing a simpler script actually for my purpose as I think that the RC and the AC should be self contained, while it's a very cool idea to have the RC update the AC using telnet I think it's simpler and safer to simply have the RC and AC act by themselves. Moreover it seems that the whatchlog and watchlog2 would kind of interfere since the AC updates the reg but also the RC updates through telnet the reg. But more importantly I prefer not to have telnet running.

About the coverage it's still not clear to me if we need to change it, as far as I can see having a coverage class 0 means to disable the ACK (at least from the documentation that I could find distance=0 means ACK disabled and as far as I understood the distance defines the coverage class). After changing the coverage running iw phy gives this data:

cc=0 (default): 0m ??
cc=1: 450m
cc=2: 900m
cc=3:1350m
cc=4:1800m
cc=5: 2250m

What do you think?

I had similar thoughts about making the RC and AC independent of each other and simplifying the script for my own use. Would you mind sharing your scripts when you're happy with them?

I had similar thoughts about making the RC and AC independent of each other and simplifying the script for my own use. Would you mind sharing your scripts when you're happy with them?
I still need to test it in the field, the script is only one to install both on the RC and the AC and simply modifies the regulatory domain plus set the power limit to 2500 (does not modify the coverage) and checks if changed every 20 secs. I will share it in a week or two when I'm back to my laptop. You can easily play around, what I did is first enable telnet to test/debug and then upload it through ftp (I prefer not to have telnet running).

Sent from my E5823 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mike.alexander
I still need to test it in the field, the script is only one to install both on the RC and the AC and simply modifies the regulatory domain plus set the power limit to 2500 (does not modify the coverage) and checks if changed every 20 secs. I will share it in a week or two when I'm back to my laptop. You can easily play around, what I did is first enable telnet to test/debug and then upload it through ftp (I prefer not to have telnet running).

Sent from my E5823 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks.

What firmware are you running on the Phantom?

So did my update today and started to try the magic power 5.0 and I connect wifi to laptop and go to menu and select "patch with magic power". It does it thing on the side but I can't scroll to read any of it. I click on step 2 and it says can't telnet to RC.... anyone got suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So did my update today and started to try the magic power 5.0 and I connect wifi to laptop and go to menu and select "patch with magic power". It does it thing on the side but I can't scroll to read any of it. I click on step 2 and it says can't telnet to RC.... anyone got suggestions?
PhantomPilots
I strangely got that on my first attempt after firmware update so I just turned everything off and started again and 2nd time worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using

@PapaTita
My P3S is still on firmware version 1.5.7
Is it better to upgrade to the latest 1.8.10 version or keep the good old 1.5.7 version ?

What is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: julien92

I am on latest 1.8.1 and have Argtek. Since updating have done a test flight got just over 2km range before RTH had good video throughout. I have set mine is US with 24dbi and have turned on Phantom and controller, locked to gps, run the iwinfo and iw reg get commands and coming back fine. Restarted phantom and controller and checked again, still fine so seems ok here.

How different are your results with the new 1.8.1 in comparison to the 1.7.9?

Got chance to test at the weekend.

I downgraded my P3S to 1.5.7 before applying Magic Power.

Results show no improvement for me. Everything appeared to work when using Magic Power.

Should I try to use magic power again?

I'm in the uk so would have been on CE mode before.

Attachments

• IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 390
Were you outside and had GPS lock when you did the telnet? You should be.
Also check again ten seconds later (give the script time to do its job).

I was connected to the transmitter inside my house. I will try it again once I get it set up outside and see what power i'm at.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl