How to hand catch?

I just CSC at about 30 feet so the blades are shut down when it gets to me.

#donttrythis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Great_Lakes
i manage the craft to hover within the range of my right hand, and then hold the RC with my left hand with my thumb ready to pull the left stick down. i grab the landing gear with my right hand tightly and make sure to hold it steady, don't make any movement because it will counteract and might got you nervous. pull down the throtle until you feel some 'click' engadged, the motors will stop 3 seconds afterward.
that's the way i hand catch my P3standard, and i take it easy from the first time i try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgd3 and flpholt
This whole hand catch thing is just asking for blood.
Not at all, most seasons pilots hand catch more times than not. It saves your drone from a possible tip over due to a breeze or uneven ground, and in case of loose dirt or sand that might be problematic during a landing. Since learning how to do this safely, I've taken my prop guards off.

I just tried it for the first time... And it went well. I never understood how the drone knows I have a hand on it, because the VPS or sonar... I thought knew when it was on the ground.

Then I read that if you have the right stick down (I have mine backwards), and you grab the landing gear it shuts off because it stop descending for 3 seconds!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had my first P3 hit a tree and flip over. It went crazy. I grabbed it and it hit me a ton! Never cut just made welts on my arm!

Why doesn't DJI make it so if the drone flips it shuts off automatically?

G forces. Can't tell up from down. Perhaps the Gyro though.

i don't think the motors stoped when upside down determined by gyroscope.
i'd rather guess, when the motors RPM near to 0 (zero) while mainboard actualy send some volts, then it determine some obstacle on the props which hold them to spin smoothly, and then it cuts all volts to the motors few seconds later to prevent motors being burned.

anyway, this is just a guess. never tried before.

Last edited:
If motors **** off because it turned upside down there would be a lot of "almost crashes" that would have been crashes.

I'd rather it just keep trying to right itself, and not land it upside down. If you have an upside down Phantom on the ground, do a CSC immediately. Don't try to grab it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sinxa

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl