How to buy a new Phantom Vision

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a new member of this forum. I now have an AR 2 (Parrot) but am quite unhappy - specifically with the flight control using an iPad. I intend to buy a Phantom Vision 2 - possibly the Plus version. Is there anything I should do/read before I buy? I intend to buy from an authorized dealer even if the price may be a bit higher but an a little apprehensive about having to buy various add-ons ... I am on a Mac and have iPhones and iPads.

Is the Plus version worth the price difference?
Is there a way of flying using a GPS/map overlay?
How big is the recording capacity?
How safe is the "return home" facility (My AR lost connection and just flew away. Fortunately an honest person found it and after viewing the GPS flight recorder video, returned the drone)
What OS is on Phantom and how accessible is it?

Is the Plus version worth the price difference?
Lots of owners think so. It's cheaper than a P2 + gimbal + GoPro

How big is the recording capacity?
You can put a 32 GB micro SD card in it (It comes with a 4 GB)

How safe is the "return home" facility
It's good if you understand how it works and confirm that it has recorded the home location before flying.

What OS is on Phantom and how accessible is it?
No OS on the Phantom. Apps come in Apple and Android flavours and and u can use a PC or Apple computer.

Is there anything I should do/read before I buy?
Read the manual (you can download it from DJI), watch instructional videos and read this forum for lots of good info.

Love this response. BTW, I own a GoPro Hero 3+ --- does it alter your advice on point one?

I'm a P2+ flier and think the machine is fine.
There are lots of threads esp in the General forum with people asking for recommendations and discussing differences.
Most owners generally recommend whatever they own and think it is the superior machine.

Praguer said:
Love this response. BTW, I own a GoPro Hero 3+ --- does it alter your advice on point one?
If you already have a GoPro, my advice would be get the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. The GoPro and gmbal is a little more robust than the Vision+. And save some money.
I have a vision+ because I don't own a go pro. and it ended up being a little cheaper this way. But if you already have it, use it.

planedr said:
If you already have a GoPro, ....

With a bit of googling I find quite a diversity of opinions but generally the GP is considered a better camera. However, aren't there other advantages to Vision (plus)? Range and battery life, for example?

The Gopro doesn't allow start and stop in flight or taking stills with the touch of a button.
Setting it to take a photo every second isn't every photographers ideal way to shoot.

Praguer said:
planedr said:
If you already have a GoPro, ....

With a bit of googling I find quite a diversity of opinions but generally the GP is considered a better camera. However, aren't there other advantages to Vision (plus)? Range and battery life, for example?
Yes, built in FPV, control of the camera in flight, you are able to change camera settings in flight, switch between video and stills. Phantom 2 and vision+ have the same battery so flight time and range are about the same. Just remember that the camera on the vision+ is delicate, mainly the ribbon cable. I just replaced mine and they are rare as hens teeth.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl