How to adjust Vertical Speed

Reaction score
Recently had an encounter with some birds while in the air. I tried to drop my altitude fast, but it would not do it. Just missed a collision. How can I adjust the vertical speed?

It is my understanding that the vertical drop speed comes from the factory set as fast as is practical. A faster descent gets into an unstable mode from which recovery is not guaranteed. IE: If you do not maintain some lift while descending the bird may not be generating enough lift to stay level, etc.

Reactions: Philltayl
In your case, you could avoid those birds at a faster pace if you would not descend straight down. Descend at an angle to gain horizontal speed during the descent. You could also "corkscrew" a descent if you are tight with space.

Let me see if I find some more, this one was interesting, because he said to climb really fast.

Birds

Rod

The rotor blades of a quadcopter, helicopter, or vertical take off aircraft produce considerable turbulence below the AC. If a rotor craft descends into this unstable air it experiences a violent stall from which it often can't recover and can literally fall from the sky. The name for this is 'vortex ring state'. Ways to avoid this are 1) descend at a slow speed or 2) keep moving forward during a more rapid descent.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Philltayl
Sometimes I prefer to move laterally or reverse. Same preventative result.

Just to add something new, i have a new Phantom battery from DJI fully charged, the DJI App is 3.1.2 and the firmware is 1.8.10. What is happening is once i fly, the firmware version when I check it after landing reverts back to 1.2.400+ and I do not know why!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan