Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Carlpembroke

Anyone have a bird show interest in your Phantom ? I had a seagull show an unhealthy interest in mine quite high up (high for me) i couldn't get away quick enough

2. flpholt

hawks hate phantoms

3. captainmilehigh

Yep, they are quite relentless. Trying to 'outfly' one is not easy. I just run (fly) like hell outa there.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. Wibble

So far I have been very lucky.
    British seagulls are probably the biggest and most agressive in the World and yet they have left my P3 alone when I am coastal flying.
    I live in the mountains and we have loads of birds of prey around us. Again been lucky.
    I have seen Ravens and Magpies attacking the birds of prey though lol.

5. r62ewa

I usually fly over water as I live on the coast and this is always a worry of mine.

6. craigsdal

I was out yesterday flying on the shore of Lake Michigan, in Milwaukee. Lots of seagulls. As soon as I was up maybe 50 feet 3-4 started attacking my bird. I immediately landed. Even as I was landing they still were coming at my drone. Also as I was walking to my car. Made me quite nervous!

7. SGs

SGs

**** thats crazy. So far most birds I have encountered being seagulls on the coast just kind of do their thing, like they don't much care. This would be scary though.

8. JamesH

One place I fly is near a large nesting site, so I steer well clear of that area. I can understand why bird-parents would be highly protective of anything entering in their space. Other than that consideration, no problems with birds.

9. WWK888

When I launch from my nearby park I regularly get a flock of birds that are very curious about my P4. I usually hit the sport mode and get the hell out of there.

10. Reed L

Lots of times... I was filming 2 hawks beneath me yesterday, I haven't edited it yet but watched it today. Rarely do I ever see them much above tree level, so I have them flying below usually by a couple hundred feet. Untitled.jpg

Then the seagulls at the beach are a constant -

11. Technodynamic

I suppose this is a good use for sport mode for a quick escape!

12. Sailingfool59

I've only had my P4 for a weak, but it's been investigated by 2 Hawks, a falcon, and an owl! So for, no incidents, luckily for the Phantom and the birds!

Keep in mind, birds of prey attack in a dive. They are far better fliers than you will ever be, but they are defensive when climbing. If you do have a raptor stalking your drone, climb straight up as fast as possible (sport mode), then get out of there! When they see your copter go straight up, they will usually vacate the premises...

13. Ovt

Ovt

Where I live it is completely impossible to fly because of the seagulls... a few seconds after takeoff you will see 20 to 30 seagulls flying towards the drone trying to catch it or hit it...

13308620_10208449415006580_5756178229238495061_o.jpg

14. Wibble

Seagulls are very nasty but they haven't bothered me so far. Maybe it is because I always fly so high? Or possibly time fo year?

15. Zuzua

I just flew mine here in outer banks nc. I was just hanging out taking video at 100', then on way back my friend told me there is a crow chasing my p3, so I went full throttle doing about 40mph and that sob was keeping up and trying to hit it. All I ccould do was to stop suddenly when it was by the house which made the crow shoot past it, he then came at it and I shot the p3 up and then down toward me to land it but wind here is at 20mph and was not possible to land it on the top deck, nearly crashed into the railings so I had to take it back up a little and quickly hand caught it before the crow could get it, it didn't stop him from dive bombing my friend standing next to me though. I had heard of birds attacking quads but never had experienced it first hand.
    I tell you this, it was the most exhilarating flight I've had in a while. I looked back at the video to see if by some chance I caught the crow in the video but no luck, just the crazy sudden movements trying to get away from it.

16. m0j0

The part I found funny was you flying it right up to your head... LOL Ballsy!

Reed L likes this.