Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How to avoid getting attacked by a bird?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Olsen Petrus, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Olsen Petrus

Eagles especially

2. NotARubicon

Dont fly in their territory..
    Seriously, i dont know there that is much more that can be done. Virtually every time a fly around my home, several hawks come to "check me out" so i'll be watching this thread for any better suggestions.

Warren Dean likes this.
  3. Nickster

Olsen. I had to deal with that a couple weeks ago. It was buzzards that seemed to be curious. Had sight of it with it being about 500 feet from me and about 100 feet up. It was hovering and when I started moving it, they flew away. So, I guess the moral to the story is keep an eye on it, if you see them start moving, and then park it for a few minutes like I did until they left the area.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. flpholt

5. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've read on FB (take it for what you paid for the advice) that adding "EYES" to the aircraft has some deterrent factor. I've not tried this myself.

By eyes I'm talking about the large "wobble" eyes found on stuffed animals etc.

Nickster and CANEKiTA like this.
  6. Glen B

I had buzzards checking me out once. Flew near a water tower they were perched on. Then they followed me back.

7. mikep2323

I had some big buzzards circling mine one time. I brought it back and waited for them to leave. They were far away at first and started getting closer and closer. I read somewhere that seagulls are very territorial also.

8. martybabe

Seagulls are a seasonal problem. I live right on the coast and the seagulls interest varies between not giving a hoot to a casual swoop by to a really aggressive drive by shooting mode. When they are roosting?/ nesting they are extraordinarily territorial.

Options and strategies that have worked for me : 1. Get out of Dodge 2. fly backwards, birds can't, it may save you a few seconds. 3. fly towards your opponent, negate the chase instinct. 4. gain altitude rapidly. and or change direction rapidly.

Rapidly losing altitude seems to indicate success to the aggressive bird so better to fly away rapidly and lose height away from the bird.

Just my observations, Obviously if you are causing annoyance to the birds, best policy is just to get the heck out of there.

mikep2323 likes this.
  9. Warren Dean

That seems to be the best policy. They were there first. :)

10. Ohiowoodsman

I'm hoping your more worried about the Eagles safety than your birds(seeing how it was there space first). I definitely make sure my prop guards are on when I'm by the water cause of course thats where there going to be. When there nesting is really when there going to take u down. You never want to spend to much time in one place either when u know there nests r close. Best advise though is what u have heard already is just leave the area.

11. Jetcutter

Light Reflective drone skin?
    Just throwing it out there....

12. Glen B

Stealth mode button on the GO app? No of course I am kidding. I personally never thought the buzzards would be interested in something that wasn't dead and stinking, but they started their circular soar following me. I believe they made my drone their leader. But as soon as I noticed them, I packed up and went home for the day, worried they would follow me home I took a different route than usual. No problems out of them since that day.