Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How hard is it to re-shell?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by hometheaterman, Mar 2, 2016.

1. hometheaterman

I'm now noticed stress cracks on my P3, so I need a new shell. I know the shells are only $60, but to have someone like Hani do it, I'm looking at $100 in labor + $30 shipping. $190 just seems like more than I'm willing to put into this thing at this point. So this brings me to it. How hard is it to do? Should I attempt this myself or is it worth just paying the money for someone to do it? I've build computers before and worked on laptops, and stuff like that. However, I've also tried to work on cell phones and it's gone horribly wrong, so I do want something like that.

What can I expect? Any soldering required?

2. CCDD

I would just pay the $200 to someone that's done it before and knows how to complete the job right.

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

Here's an example how-to:

4. CCDD

Like I said, pay someone to do it

5. Milehighdesign

I just did it on a P3 Standard. It was not to hard just took about 1 hour. Don't rush it and make the replacements as you go.

6. Silverwingflinx

I have changed 2 p3A bodies already it's easy it just takes 2 hours!!and there are how to vids on Utube no worries...

#6 Silverwingflinx, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  7. Toph

I just replaced the shell on my P2 just a couple weeks ago so that I could sell it. It also had stress cracks and my wife made me promise to sell the P2 if I got a P3
    It's not a crazy job.
    But-
    -Take your time
    -Make sure you have good tools for the job
    -Take pictures as you go for reference. Once you open it up. Especially before you unplug and remove any parts.
    -Label your screws as you take them out.
    Your new shell kit should come with new hardware as well. But it still makes it faster to put together if you remember exactly what goes where

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

8. Toph

One other thought. Unless your shell is in really bad shape, consider just super gluing it. I did that with my P2 and worked like a charm. Only replaced the shell to make it pretty to sell. I also hear that mixing super glue with baking soda makes a rock solid cement. To me this is a better alternative than replacing the shell every time it gets some inevitable cracks.

9. trevsdad

I've re-shelled a similar size/type quad...I'm sure P's are a bit more complex. On the other hand, unlike Walkera, the ESC's are part of the main board , however Toph is correct. Get the proper tools, take photos before you dissemble and make sure you can ID the screws. I separate them in a watchmaker's parts tray which also keeps them safe from spillage...(see link)
    Plastic Watch Dust Sheet Cover Guard Tray Parts Repair Spares Watchmaker Tool

10. sonof40

I've yet to hear of anyone losing a drone due to cracks. Sure it goes against our nature but the cracks we've seen so far don't make me worry about losing a motor or an arm breaking.
    But, I would do it myself.

11. alokbhargava

It would be easier to repair cracks rather than replacing the entire shell. Assembly and dissemble if the shell is not that easy. If it is covered under warranty then better send it to DJI service center.

sonof40 likes this.
  12. Mako79

I find trying to separate the top shell from the bottom shell the trickiest. One side pops open and the opposite side clicks in and locks.
    Its not so hard and it teaches you a bit about your P3. What I learnt was that the antennas all terminate at the VPS module and not inside the P3 like the previous model. Just remember to number the antenna cables and reattach the VPS mini fan.

13. dirtybum

If your cracks are only on the motor mounts like mine was, i put strongarms on. I have no evidence the cracks got worse & the problems your worried about arising because of the cracks are not an issue w/ strongarms in place

14. mmee1992

I replaced myself. Not really a big deal. Like the people above me said the trickiest part is just getting the shell separated.

15. hometheaterman

What are Strongarms?

What kind of epoxy are you guys using on the cracks? I can't decide if I should order a new shell or just glue this one. I don't want to crash it if it looses a motor, but I don't want to replace the shell every 2 months either.

16. msinger

Approved Vendor

They are arm reinforcements that are supposed to prevent cracks -- like these or these.

jointeffort and dirtybum like this.
  17. Toph

I'd glue it unless you have a really compelling reason to go through the work and cost of replacement. Super glue worked great on my P2. I'm sure any epoxy would work great too. My dad has mixed super glue with baking soda and said it makes a super strong white cement. Lots of options.

Good luck!

jointeffort likes this.