How did I manage to fly my P3A to 465m altitude today?

Reaction score
I thought the limit was 400m?

00600ce569a44e5b33bbbcdc19cb219e.png
eb7df935d409b0495bf73d4f5fca7023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's 1500 feet, which indeed is the P3 max altitude. You must have the limiter switched off?

Beautiful photo BTW. All the area around Bath is beautiful too.

Last edited:
It's actually 1525 feet and I stopped rather than DJI stopping me

DJI will stop you at 500m but you are governed by the regulations of the land.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Has that changed then? I swear it was previously 400m

The conditions this morning were really something. Looking forward to editing the video

The limit is 400' but you control the height yourself through the app. You can set it to the 500m max and then you can still exceed it -

Reactions: BoydBros
You can set it to the 500m max and then you can still exceed it -
He'd need to be using very old FW versions since that RTH max altitude work around was patched a long time ago. Maybe more than a year ago I think.

Just set your RTH to 120 metres and max height to 120 metres that will stop you going over 400ft

Just to be clear, the safety guideline is 400' AGL. That's the elevation limits you should not disobey, 400' AGL. That's 120M and you can set that in your settings if you want the Go app to limit your height. The craft has the ability to go 500M high, or 1640', however the only time you should be doing that is if the terrain increases in height so you're never more than 400' from the ground level (horizontal or vertical is OK). The logic to this is that private aircraft "should" always be above 500' AGL, and in dense populated areas this increases to 1000'. These are the US FAA guidelines, they may be different outside the US.

Keep in mind, these are guidelines we should follow. However, I've had instances where private aircraft pilots fudge the numbers when flying over a mountain crest to save time and fuel, and this isn't "illegal" unless there's a problem. So if you're up high, like 8000' MSL or higher, and you're flying the crest of the mountain, be very careful. I try to be no higher than 100' AGL on mountain crests for that reason. I've had two scenarios (at 12,000' MSL) that were NOT close calls, but could have been if the stars had lined up, location-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonof40
The logic to this is that private aircraft "should" always be above 500' AGL, and in dense populated areas this increases to 1000'.
That's a popular misconception.
There are plenty of situations where planes can quite legally fly below 500 ft.
Here are their rules on altitude (FAA)
§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Reactions: John Locke
He'd need to be using very old FW versions since that RTH max altitude work around was patched a long time ago. Maybe more than a year ago I think.
Yup, I think it was the 1.4 update that you have when they first started making the changes. I'm still on 1.3.002 and have never had the need to try it myself :)

That's a popular misconception.
There are plenty of situations where planes can quite legally fly below 500 ft.
Here are their rules on altitude (FAA)
§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

And then there's the catch-all, Part 91.3: "the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency" So in an emergency you may fly how and where you like in the interest of safety to those on the ground and those in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl