How about killing vibration at the source?

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of trying to install some sort of vibration dampening on the Phantom at the point the motors connect to the body? Logically would appear to be a better place to do it then on the camera. Any thoughts?

jdawson said:
Has anyone thought of trying to install some sort of vibration dampening on the Phantom at the point the motors connect to the body? Logically would appear to be a better place to do it then on the camera. Any thoughts?

the motors themselves do not vibrate - you can test this by plugging in the battery and starting up the phantom with no prop on. however as soon as you add the prop to the motors, you will get vibrations from unbalanced props.

even if you were successful in dampening the motors, the unbalanced props would still create undue wear on your motors.

best solutions is to balance your props.

Some folks have reported motors that were out of balance and have been balancing them. Some isolation at the motor mounts couldn't hurt. But, yeah, balance the props to get rid of the source of the problem.

I read in another forum that one thing that can easily help balancing the motors is to remove the dji stickers on them! I didn't even realize those were on there! Anyway, sure why not? It's a fix that's free. Just make sure you have some Goo Gone or similar product to remove the glue residue.

At first, I only removed the stickers from the motor but when I got the iPhone 5 app called iSeismometer that measures the vibration in 3 axes. I took the top off and removed 3 motors' connector at the controller and started the testing. Needless to say, now I am a firm believer in motor balancing. :D My Phantom flies a lot smoother and rock solid in hover.
You don't really need the app, but just feel it with your hand and compare each motor while spinning at about half throttle (we hover at that point). A member removed the props and run the motors and his Phantom did the table dancing. :eek:

As for killing the vibration at the source, it will be a tough task since the motor based on 4 screws and most damper materials are "somewhat" flexible which may cause the motor trust to change and ruins the stability in the process.

pwright said:
So how do you balance the motor? Add weight to the lite side?
Trial and error by sticking a piece of electrical tape to a spot, then run the motor and see if it gets better. Keep moving the tape around the side of the motor can until you find the least vibration. Remove the tape after you marked the spot and clean the surface then use a fresh piece of tape. I use the stick hatch tape for the RC boat but you can use any. Double check the vibration and occasionally check to assure that the tape is not peeling off, especially when you replace the props because you have to hold onto the motor. It may sound complicated but after you finished with the first motor, you'll find it's much easier. Also you may find one motor is almost well balanced already. Change the size of the tape if needed but about 10x20 mm. Is a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T96CFVokqZc
I found this video a little interesting.
I don't know if this is a flight ready solution, but it will help you find out which side is unbalanced. There is a collar that fits over the motor with threads all around the edge( for a set screw balancer). It also has a serrated top for contact with the propeller, this is a real flight solution for balancing. I'll keep looking around till i find the company, I cant find it off-hand right now. :? I will post a link later.

tanasit said:
pwright said:
So how do you balance the motor? Add weight to the lite side?
Trial and error by sticking a piece of electrical tape to a spot, then run the motor and see if it gets better...
May have to try that. I was looking down onto my Phantom this weekend as I revved up the motors and I could see that a couple of the arms were moving quite a bit.

MX45OR said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T96CFVokqZc
I found this video a little interesting.
Hmm. Could be a little tricky balancing my phone on top of the phantom arms but that is interesting.

Here is the App the guy was using: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tion&hl=en

While flying recently I couldn't help notice how much louder it sounded.
turns out one of my motors is making some serious noise and vibrations due to the bearings being bad.

So i'm doing to swap it out for a new motor, and figured while the shell is off I'll attempt to balance the motors as well.

So tape is really the only way to go to balance a motor?

Re. bearings failing,
I saw a good tip on YouTube - chap flying an S800 suggested that each motor is touched after use to assess overheating - an early sign of problems.

Gizmo3000 said:
turns out one of my motors is making some serious noise and vibrations due to the bearings being bad.

So i'm doing to swap it out for a new motor, and figured while the shell is off I'll attempt to balance the motors as well.

Tape is the easiest and non invasive way to go because you can select the size and remove at will.
It is more important that what kind of tape. Most use the electrical tape but you want to make sure that the surface is clean or it may come loose. I prefer the RC boat hatch tape which is very sticky, flexible and has some weight to it unlike Scotch tape which will be too light. The aluminum tape is also use and it will take the heat better.
Make sure you check the tape often. I was thinking of the permanent fix by drilling a dimple or two on the heavier side just like they do from the factory on the armature of the brush motors but decided not to. :?

Gizmo3000 said:

I lube the motors bearing after 15 flights or so. I have to drill a hole underneath each motor for much easier oiling, otherwise you have to remove the motor. :shock:

My Y6 with 8 motors has seen several hundreds flights with same motors.
I sometime have to thoroughly clean all the motors with motor spray.

pwright said:
[
Hmm. Could be a little tricky balancing my phone on top of the phantom arms but that is interesting.

no doubt easier on the DJI Flamewheel models, but on the Phantom you'd have to remove the top shell and then it provides a flat surface to place your phone.

Gizmo3000 said:
no doubt easier on the DJI Flamewheel models, but on the Phantom you'd have to remove the top shell and then it provides a flat surface to place your phone.
I guess you really ought to do that anyway as you want to unplug the other motors so they don't vibrate as well.

pwright said:
I guess you really ought to do that anyway as you want to unplug the other motors so they don't vibrate as well.

Bought bullet connectors to install on all my motors!
..I'm replacing two of my motors already, which have the bullet connectors.

figured it couldn't hurt!

It is also a good practice to feel all the motors as soon as you landed. All 4 should have similar temperature but if one feels hotter than the rest then you know something is wrong: bearing, bend shaft, out of balance (props and/or motor itself).
Note that with my Y6 the rear motors almost always feel hotter than the others because of this configuration that the rear motors tent to work harder because we fly with pitch more than roll.

auck said:
jdawson said:

the motors themselves do not vibrate - you can test this by plugging in the battery and starting up the phantom with no prop on. however as soon as you add the prop to the motors, you will get vibrations from unbalanced props.

even if you were successful in dampening the motors, the unbalanced props would still create undue wear on your motors.

I'd have to disagree with you on this. My Phantom just arrived a week ago, latest batch into the UK, and all motors vibrate loudly, even before installing props. Motors are silver coloured, and have no labels stuck on

pligo said:
auck said:
jdawson said:

I'd have to disagree with you on this. My Phantom just arrived a week ago, latest batch into the UK, and all motors vibrate loudly, even before installing props. Motors are silver coloured, and have no labels stuck on

i stand corrected :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl