Home point question...again

Phantom2_Duck said:
Not completely sure how to "ch3ck" home point is set. I turned off the controller once and it headed of to no where near where I took off from.

Easy to check immediately after take off by using Home Lock and seeing if the quad comes back. You need to do it from a couple of different angles though to check the intersection. No need to turn the controller off.

Hughie said:
Phantom2_Duck said:
Not completely sure how to "ch3ck" home point is set. I turned off the controller once and it headed of to no where near where I took off from.

Easy to check immediately after take off by using Home Lock and seeing if the quad comes back. You need to do it from a couple of different angles though to check the intersection. No need to turn the controller off.

Guess it's the home lock part I am missing..

Usually I power up everything, switch the left switch 5 times do compass, wait, do right switch.. I thought if I wait that it sets default home by where you power it on at... I've had 2 return to homes both weren't the right places.. I'm not sure on the modes honestly I just fly it as is out of the phantom 2 vision + box.

Home Lock is part of Naza Mode/IOC.

Have a read of the manual for this if it is not clear, but basically, Home Lock allows you to pull the quad back to the Home Point by pulling back on the RH stick, regardless of which way it is pointing.

Phantom2_Duck said:
Usually I power up everything, switch the left switch 5 times do compass, wait, do right switch.
There's some confusion there.
S1 = Right switch for compass calibration (which you don't need to do every flight)
S2 = Left switch for resetting home point

Phantom2_Duck said:
I'm not sure on the modes honestly I just fly it as is out of the phantom 2 vision + box.
Home Lock referred to above is from Naza mode which you can't access unless you enable it via software.
The default Phantom mode is fine for learning and many flyers never bother to change from it.

Narrator said:
Homelock and Compass calibration are very different beasties!

Homelock is hands-off. Your Phantom does it without your help.
Homelock occurs when your Phantom has been sitting on the ground long enough to acquire 7 satellites.
Once 7 satellites are found, it will set homelock and it will flash green fast.
Homelock is a GPS position and height, and can be changed inflight with the S2 switch.

Compass calibration, as I've said, is different. It is for inertial navigation. Your Phantom uses both GPS and inertial nav as a backup.
Compass calibration must follow the two step process (horizontal and tilted), neither of which has anything to do with homelock.

Cheers
Hughie said:
Before each flight :
Place quad in direction I want to fly
Turn on Tx and quad and FPV
Wait for IOC green flashes (after about 30s)
Wait for Home point green flashes
Check FPV for plenty of satellites
Take off to about 10 feet
Do basic checks for Home Lock to confirm Home Point
Commence mission....

Larry L said:
When to Recalibrate:
- After any firmware/software update
- After a crash (minor or major)
- Flying in different location to last flight (far away)
- When drifting occurs in flight, i.e. Phantom does not fly in straight lines.
- When hovering, Phantom wants to fly in a circular pattern (Toilet bowl effect-TBE)
- When compass data is abnormal, the rear LED flight indicator will blink Red and Yellow (See “Led Status” section). - Something magnetic (screw driver with magnetic tip, speaker, magnet ...) got close to your compass/aircraft.
- Mechanical structure of the Phantom has changed, i.e. changed mounting position of the compass.
- If compass calibration is needed before flight, a prompt will appear on the DJI Vision app’s camera page.
Need to Know: You do not have to calibrate your compass before every flight (meaning: don’t become compass calibration crazy); this is not necessary and may actually increase your chance of having a problem. You don't want to risk introducing any issues that weren't there before by recalibrating too often. DJI recommend recalibrating only when moving far away from last flight point.
- Do the Calibration in a WIDE open space. Not in your house, your garage, near your car...
- DO NOT carry ferro-magnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.
- DO NOT calibrate in areas that could have high magnetic EMI interference such as areas that are close
to power lines, cell phone towers, parking structures, reinforced concrete or steel reinforcements underground. - DO NOT calibrate beside massive metal objects (cars, buildings, fences, buried pipes & cables, etc).
Note: Compass Calibration can now also be initiated from DJI Vision - Settings page instead of using the S1 Switch.

That is all we need to know about Home Point recording and why or when calibrating. I don't think there is anything to add.
S.

The reason that you should recalibrate after traveling "far away" is because of the natural variation in relation to magnetic north. Near me to the West (about 25 miles) the variation is 3 degrees East. That is, the compass now has a 3 degree error. So if you cross that line you would want to recalibrate. About 25 miles to the East the error is 3.5 degrees East. If I drove to West Texas it would be 9 degree East. The other compass error inducement is called deviation. Deviation occurs when you attach something electronic or magnetic to you Phantom, such as a GPS tracker, extra battery, etc.. The deviation will cause the compass to be inaccurate. It is not going to change unless you change the position of the attached item.
NOTE: This is based on the Northern Hemisphere. I don't know what it is like Down Under. I would have to consult some charts. There are 11 lines of variation in the US. Large errors occur on the East and West Coasts up North (ie. Washington and Maine). There, the variation can be as much as 25 degrees. On the Southern border of the US and the Gulf Coast the lines of variation are further apart and are less severe.

Since it is easy to recalibrate, do it when you are suspicious or when your Phantom says so, when you have added something to your Phantom and when you travel East or West some distance.

The NAZA-M manual describes it fairly well. I might suggest heeding the caution about setting home and/or course while in flight. Depending how you toggle the switch, it may be difficult to ascertain what the blinking green lights indicate.

The method I use for a Phantom 2 Non-vision V1 is not perhaps an acceptable method, but has worked for me. For the first battery of a series, with the camera off, I hold the Phantom safely away from my face, but at eye level and push the battery button and turn on the Phantom. I observe the proper sequence of LEDs for course and home lock(enable) and then perform a compass calibration. Then I turn the Phantom off, turn on the camera and start recording. Holding the Phantom again at eye level, I turn the Phantom on and watch for the proper sequence of blinking LEDs. and place the Phantom on the ground some distance from where I will stand and arm the motors and establish home point. Although getting the correct series of blinking LEDs indicates setting home lock is possible, it is not established until you arm the motors and fly.

Upon landing, I power off the Phantom and may or may not stop recording, change batteries and power up again at eye level without performing a compass calibration. I may arm motors on the ground at a different, yet short distance away or the same location to establish home point.

I use this method to 1) avoid excessive touching or manipulating the gimbal while energized to prevent hibernation, 2) even in bright sunlight I can see the LEDs to insure course and home lock. The disadvantage to this method is the iOSD will be incorrect relative to height by the distance of my eye level to the established home point.

Thanks everyone for providing all the additional information.

Attachments

• Home Course.jpg
    Home Course.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 291

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl