Home point question...again

Still not stated here is the following:

Homelock and Compass calibration are very different beasties!

Homelock is hands-off. Your Phantom does it without your help.
Homelock occurs when your Phantom has been sitting on the ground long enough to acquire 7 satellites.
Once 7 satellites are found, it will set homelock and it will flash green fast.
Homelock is a GPS position and height, and can be changed inflight with the S2 switch.

Compass calibration, as I've said, is different. It is for inertial navigation. Your Phantom uses both GPS and inertial nav as a backup.
Compass calibration must follow the two step process (horizontal and tilted), neither of which has anything to do with homelock.

Cheers

Narrator,
Purrrrrrfect.
A +1

hemorrhagic flyer said:
dirkclod said:
:roll: you back again .

Just offering succinct advice to folks that may be swayed by the silliness that you posted in this thread.

Really- that crap is not helpful and shows a lack of understanding that should embarrassing for you.

+1

Glad to hear you think so too. This guy dirkclod post and post just to have many posts behind his name. Unfortunately most of his posts make no sense. The mods should do something about that. Where are the mods when we need them :?:

An iOSD makes checking your home point very simple. It will show the current distance and height to the home point if the home point is set. If it is not set, the distance and height will be blank.

Miguel said:
hemorrhagic flyer said:
dirkclod said:

Just offering succinct advice to folks that may be swayed by the silliness that you posted in this thread.

Really- that crap is not helpful and shows a lack of understanding that should embarrassing for you.

+1

Glad to hear you think so too. This guy dirkclod post and post just to have many posts behind his name. Unfortunately most of his posts make no sense. The mods should do something about that. Where are the mods when we need them :?:
Yes, where are they? When we have you and hemmo- posting mostly just to antagonize members on the forum. Those posts are the useless ones.
If you don't like someone's post, don't read it or put them on ignore in your settings.

SadSapflyer said:
If you don't like someone's post, don't read it or put them on ignore in your settings.

You were replying to another guy but here is my comment on your idiotic assumption.

I did not reply because I didn't like the other confused person's post.

I replied because of the abject idiocy that he posted. My post was a warning to folks about the idiocy that dirtclod posted.

Why do you think that pointing out bad information is a bad thing?

hemorrhagic flyer said:
Why do you think that pointing out bad information is a bad thing?
I re-read what he stated. It was the way he was doing it. Never did he state this is the correct way and the only way to do this.
It makes a difference if someone answers a question with: "This is how you do it." It was how he does it. In no way was it insinuated that is the way it must or has to be done. Same as others on the forum that say don't hand catch. It is their opinion or what they think. Not a "command" that you can't do it.
If some one answers a question with totally wrong information and I know it is wrong, I may state that is not correct. I don't have to continuously search for that person and slam every post they make. It may make some people happy, but it serves little purpose.

Sappyflyer said:
I don't have to continuously search for that person and slam every post they make. It may make some people happy, but it serves little purpose.

This assumption/fabrication is even goofier than your previous post.

Are you this slow in real life or is this just aweird shtick that you work on the 'net?

If you don't like someone's post, don't read it or put them on ignore in your settings.[/quote]

I agree. I am here to learn & enjoy a hobby. If I do not like someone's post, I just ignore. Why bash someone?

Sorry I can not continue to comment. Have to work Saturday. So I'm going to bed.
Have a good night.

Happyflyer said:
Sorry I can not continue to comment. Have to work Saturday. So I'm going to bed.
Have a good night.

That's a convenient dodge for you.

You will look less foolish if you stop posting nonsense because you claim that you need to work tomorrow.

Okay, I may show my ignorance here, but I thought doing a compass calibration is only necessary, when flying in a different area, away from a previous location. Then you do a horizontal 360 rotation and a vertical 360 rotation after doing the S1 switch maneuvers.

I heard that too, but then I was told you should recalibrate your compass regularly, even if at your previous location. A guy who certifies drone pilots on type told me he does it every time, just to be sure.

PhantomFanatic said:
Okay, I may show my ignorance here, but I thought doing a compass calibration is only necessary, when flying in a different area, away from a previous location. Then you do a horizontal 360 rotation and a vertical 360 rotation after doing the S1 switch maneuvers.
My assumption on it is; You will get many answers on that. Some say to calibrate every time, some say if you travel 100km or so, definitely should calibrate if you get a message to calibrate or if your phantom is not hovering in the close proximity it should. Some say to do it every flight & the ones who say to do it only when flying from a long distance will say that if you do it every time, you risk the chances of getting a bad calibration :shock:
Here is what is in the summary guide.

When to Recalibrate:
- After any firmware/software update
- After a crash (minor or major)
- Flying in different location to last flight (far away)
- When drifting occurs in flight, i.e. Phantom does not fly in straight lines.
- When hovering, Phantom wants to fly in a circular pattern (Toilet bowl effect-TBE)
- When compass data is abnormal, the rear LED flight indicator will blink Red and Yellow (See “Led Status” section). - Something magnetic (screw driver with magnetic tip, speaker, magnet ...) got close to your compass/aircraft.
- Mechanical structure of the Phantom has changed, i.e. changed mounting position of the compass.
- If compass calibration is needed before flight, a prompt will appear on the DJI Vision app’s camera page.
Need to Know: You do not have to calibrate your compass before every flight (meaning: don’t become compass calibration crazy); this is not necessary and may actually increase your chance of having a problem. You don't want to risk introducing any issues that weren't there before by recalibrating too often. DJI recommend recalibrating only when moving far away from last flight point.
- Do the Calibration in a WIDE open space. Not in your house, your garage, near your car...
- DO NOT carry ferro-magnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.
- DO NOT calibrate in areas that could have high magnetic EMI interference such as areas that are close
to power lines, cell phone towers, parking structures, reinforced concrete or steel reinforcements underground. - DO NOT calibrate beside massive metal objects (cars, buildings, fences, buried pipes & cables, etc).
Note: Compass Calibration can now also be initiated from DJI Vision - Settings page instead of using the S1 Switch.

Narrator said:
Still not stated here is the following:

Homelock and Compass calibration are very different beasties!

Homelock is hands-off. Your Phantom does it without your help.
Homelock occurs when your Phantom has been sitting on the ground long enough to acquire 7 satellites.
Once 7 satellites are found, it will set homelock and it will flash green fast.
Homelock is a GPS position and height, and can be changed inflight with the S2 switch.

Compass calibration, as I've said, is different. It is for inertial navigation. Your Phantom uses both GPS and inertial nav as a backup.
Compass calibration must follow the two step process (horizontal and tilted), neither of which has anything to do with homelock.

Cheers

Cheers and that does make sense! Thanks.

Miguel said:
hemorrhagic flyer said:
dirkclod said:

+1

Miguel,

If someone states something that isn't correct, use that opportunity to educate them, rather than thrash them in public. I seriously doubt Dirkclod meant to mislead anyone. And, I think the mods are doing a good job. You aren't aware of what goes on privately, nor am I. Mods don't publically state who gets banned for a week, for example.

Futhermore, I know Dirkclod and I also know that his intent is to help.

Not completely sure how to "ch3ck" home point is set. I turned off the controller once and it headed of to no where near where I took off from.

Phantom2_Duck said:
Not completely sure how to "ch3ck" home point is set. I turned off the controller once and it headed of to no where near where I took off from.
The radar in the app shows where the Phantom is in relation to the home point. Also, if you're in Naza mode, and you knock a switch, it can end up in Atti mode, drifting with the wind. I have 3 batteries, so, I test it's homing first up each session, either by turning off the RC, or by flicking S1 to pos 3 (which I setup as Failsafe).

Phantom2_Duck said:
That's why you set home point up in the air where you can see the fast flashing green LEDs.
Then you have confirmed home point recording instead of assuming or hoping it was set.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl