Home Lock ****l

OK - now the main question posed by the OP on this thread: Can anyone give me a step-by-step on how to activate Home Lock with a Phantom 4. Not a Phantom 2 or 3 (which seems to be the only You Tube videos available on this question), but a Phantom 4.

Following you Mike. NOW you're talking about the flight app itself. There are a few of 'em. Some can downright lose YOU! Something Paul may be eluding to above.

What you're finding are explanations about how the software works. That's why you're finding them repeating themselves. All of the DJI Go apps work the same so HL is a HL is a HL across the line.

I'm not sure what your quote means
It's just observing that yours was the post that got me started on all of this Home Lock stuff because I interpreted what you said in that post to mean that Home Lock was the same thing as Headless Mode in other quads. I see now that this was a misinterpretation on my part - not your fault. I will still want to learn how to use Home Lock (and all of the other intelligent flight modes) with the P4, even though it falls a tad short of my original expectation. I thank you again for your help here.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Reading the link below, it seems to me headless mode is just like home lock in that it will circle. The difference is, it flies relative to the controller rather than relative to the home point.

The concept of the circle is not something that is mentioned in any manuals that I've seen, nor is it mentioned in the link below. It's just an offhand characteristic of the "radial" (as Sar mentioned) mode being relative to a point. For example, moving to the left relative to the controller means the distance does not increase. And if the distance does not increase as it moves left, the AC movement must begin as an arc and continue as a circle.

If the AC did move to the left in a straight line and continue to infinity in a straight line, it would eventually be moving directly away from the controller. And that doesn't make sense.

What is the QuadCopter Headless Mode - Drone Omega

Last edited:
“Course lock” reminds me of the headless mode on some of my toys.

Course lock = DJI headless mode.
You must mean DJI course lock = headless mode.

But how can that be? If headless mode is relative to the controller, then headless mode cannot equal DJI course lock. Course lock is not relative to the controller, it is relative to the course that is set when the course lock is initiated - depending on the direction the AC is facing. It has nothing to do with the controller or home point.

But how can that be? If headless mode is relative to the controller, then headless mode cannot equal DJI course lock. Course lock is not relative to the controller, it is relative to the course that is set when the course lock is initiated - depending on the direction the AC is facing. It has nothing to do with the controller or home point.

That's correct, headless mode is equivalent to home lock, not course lock.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Agreeing.

Reading the link below, it seems to me headless mode is just like home lock in that it will circle. The difference is, it flies relative to the controller rather than relative to the home point.

The concept of the circle is not something that is mentioned in any manuals that I've seen, nor is it mentioned in the link below. It's just an offhand characteristic of the "radial" (as Sar mentioned) mode being relative to a point. For example, moving to the left relative to the controller means the distance does not increase. And if the distance does not increase as it moves left, the AC movement must begin as an arc and continue as a circle.

If the AC did move to the left in a straight line and continue to infinity in a straight line, it would eventually be moving directly away from the controller. And that doesn't make sense.

What is the QuadCopter Headless Mode - Drone Omega
Here's the problem as I see it. DJI assumes, with Home Lock, that the ONLY thing the pilot is going to want to do is bring the quad back home if he gets disoriented when the quad is out there. I think that is an incorrect assumption. True headless mode allows the pilot to continue to fly the quad in all directions even though the quad's orientation is unknown. I am sorry that DJI didn't give us a true, headless mode option.

On smaller quads and those with no proper live camera feed headless makes a lot of sense. To me, not so much on the Phantom because it's a camera drone and has so many other modes and live feedback streams that you should never be disoriented.

Here's the problem as I see it. DJI assumes, with Home Lock, that the ONLY thing the pilot is going to want to do is bring the quad back home if he gets disoriented when the quad is out there. I think that is an incorrect assumption. True headless mode allows the pilot to continue to fly the quad in all directions even though the quad's orientation is unknown. I am sorry that DJI didn't give us a true, headless mode option.
Sorry - but I don't see why you'd assume that or think that DJI assumes that. It's one of the IOC modes, short for Intelligent Orientation Control. It's designed to enable the pilot to fly all over the place without getting confused. It's not just to drag it back home. DJI knows this. They call it "home lock" because the controls are "locked" so that the AC will respond relative to "home."

There are quite a few youtube vids on this going back a number of years...

dji ioc home lock - YouTube

Reactions: sar104
On smaller quads and those with no proper live camera feed headless makes a lot of sense. To me, not so much on the Phantom because it's a camera drone and has so many other modes and live feedback streams that you should never be disoriented.

Probably - but not in every environment or on every occasion.

Sorry - but I don't see why you'd assume that or think that DJI assumes that. It's one of the IOC modes, short for Intelligent Orientation Control. It's designed to enable the pilot to fly all over the place without getting confused. It's not just to drag it back home. DJI knows this. They call it "home lock" because the controls are "locked" so that the AC will respond relative to "home."

There are quite a few youtube vids on this going back a number of years...

dji ioc home lock - YouTube
I don't want to belabor this point, but I must respond. I don't think you and I are on the same page here. I have tried to explain true headless operation v. home lock a number of times on this thread. There is a distinct difference between headless mode and home lock. They do not do the same thing. Home Lock only allows the pilot to pull the quad back home or fly it in an arc (circle) around the home point. Headless allows the pilot to fly the plane in a straight line in any direction, just as if it was properly oriented to the RC even though it is not.

The YouTube videos you link only prove the point I am trying to make - that Home Lock is limited to come back home or arcing around the home point.

I don't think the Phantom 4 even has IOC, but I could be wrong on that - please correct me if I am. If there is some mode for the P4 that allows true, headless flight, please tell me what it is and, more importantly, how to activate it.

Last edited:
Probably - but not in every environment or on every occasion.

I can't think of any situation where headless mode Syma style would be beneficial over the orientation modes and aids provided by the P4, having flown many, many flights over many many miles, on many different quads (including symas). It's a bit like going into a Kawasaki dealer and complaining because the H2R can't use the stabilisers from a kids bike....

I don't want to belabor this point, but I must respond. I don't think you and I are on the same page here. I have tried to explain true headless operation v. home lock a number of times on this thread. There is a distinct difference between headless mode and home lock. They do not do the same thing. Home Lock only allows the pilot to pull the quad back home or fly it in an arc (circle) around the home point. Headless allows the pilot to fly the plane in a straight line in any direction, just as if it was properly oriented to the RC even though it is not.

The YouTube videos you link only prove the point I am trying to make - that Home Lock is limited to come back home or arcing around the home point.

I don't think the Phantom 4 even has IOC, but I could be wrong on that - please correct me if I am. If there is some mode for the P4 that allows true, headless flight, please tell me what it is and, more importantly, how to activate it.

What you are describing is course lock, which has been present on all models since the P2.

Home lock (witch never ever use) is like headless mode, If you fly this way you must like playing pacman as I think this is not flying your craft it's more like a game of moving your craft on a board. If you get disorientated hit RTH and the craft will point exactly home, once it's there cancel and fly it yourself. You have telemetry that shows you where your pointing and location in GO, as you get more experience this info will be plenty to maintain a good understanding of your crafts location and how to bring it back home.

I ran into a little problem today attempting to put the Phantom 4 quad into Home Lock. I thought you began the process by taking off and hovering the quad at least 20 feet away from the home point. I did that. The next thing I did was tap the quad icon (image of a quad with "OPTI" to the right of it.) Did that. This took me to Main Controller Settings. I had thought the next step was to tap on Advanced Settings in the Main Controller Settings, which was supposed to take me to a screen where I could switch on Multiple Flight Modes. Once that happened, a window was supposed to pop up giving me the option to tap on Home Lock and hit Apply.

Well, the first part of all that happened but not the last. I hovered a distance away from the home point and then hit the quad (OPTI) icon. This took me to the Main Controller Settings. There is a Multiple Flight Modes switch in the Main Controller Settings. I switched that on. After that, nothing happened. No window popped up giving me the opportunity to switch the quad into Home Lock.

I'm really getting frustrated with this Home Lock thing. It should be very easy to do it, yet I have spent hours trying to find instructions for the Phantom 4 Home Lock feature (I found none).

Could anyone reading this give me a step-by-step on how to get the P4 into Home Lock?

Also, I have a related question. When I finally figure out how to do it, will the quad fly in all directions (forward, back, left and right) regardless of which way it is facing, or will it just return to home if you pull down on the right stick without directional control in the other three directions?
You also need to have the toggle switch in “P” mode to gain access to different flight modes

To my understanding, Course Lock is the same as the 'headless' mode. When set, course lock will lock the right stick movement so that up is forward, down is back, left is left and right is right regardless of what direction the bird is actually pointing. Home Lock locks right stick down action so that the bird comes back to the home point regardless of the direction it is pointing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164