Hi guys, just bought a P4P & need antenna info..

I am not saying anything about any product associated with a DJI flight system, but this thread reminded me of something a friend of mine told me years ago. The guy was a microwave engineer and brilliant.

Back in the 1970's, when CB radios were the rage, a small company made a 'signal booster' that would be placed inline with the antenna coax. It was a simple device that had no battery. It was merely a box with two coax connections and a 2 position switch that was labeled 'normal' for one position and 'boost' for the second.

Everybody swore by these things. When they were installed, the first thing CB'ers would do would be to put it in the 'normal' position and fill the airwaves with their prose "Breaker breaker one nine... anyone copy?". Someone would answer "Gotcha here good buddy". "You got the Cracker Jack here. How's my signal?" "Ummm, it's OK. Maybe a little weak" "Hold on, let me put my new signal booster into BOOST mode...... how is it NOW" "Wow, that's much better. Like nigh and day. Where did you get that thing?" and a satisfied customer was born right along side a new one.

Now, what was actually going on here?

The sneaky guys that made this little box were later convicted of fraud. You see, the box was nothing but a switched resistor circuit. In 'BOOST' mode, the signal passed straight through and was unaltered. In NORMAL mode, the signal passed through a resistor where it was WEAKENED.

Buyer beware.

You can search youtube for this product and there is a video of titan conquer vs MaaxUAV, its a side by side comparison of these units, and the Titan provides better range and penetration than the MaaxUAV, the test was on the same drone, same day, same conditions, same route. anyone buying this kind of product should do their due diligance first.

You can search youtube for this product and there is a video of titan conquer vs MaaxUAV, its a side by side comparison of these units, and the Titan provides better range and penetration than the MaaxUAV, the test was on the same drone, same day, same conditions, same route. anyone buying this kind of product should do their due diligance first.

I would think a comparison should be against a stock antenna to show it's an improvement not two third party antennas against each other because it still doesn't prove it's better then a stock antenna,
An I don't base my my opinion on (one ) YT video , Sorry .

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No need to be sorry, as I said in my previous quote which you conveniently ignored, "do your due dilligance", the comparisons between MaaxUAV and stock are many and varied on youtube, then there is the comparison of MaaxUAV vs Triton. I wouldn't expect you to buy anything on my recommendation. However, I have several 10 km flights under my belt, with the Triton, and at 5 km distance still had 5 bars RC and Video.

Reactions: Boz
I am not saying anything about any product associated with a DJI flight system, but this thread reminded me of something a friend of mine told me years ago. The guy was a microwave engineer and brilliant.

Back in the 1970's, when CB radios were the rage, a small company made a 'signal booster' that would be placed inline with the antenna coax. It was a simple device that had no battery. It was merely a box with two coax connections and a 2 position switch that was labeled 'normal' for one position and 'boost' for the second.

Everybody swore by these things. When they were installed, the first thing CB'ers would do would be to put it in the 'normal' position and fill the airwaves with their prose "Breaker breaker one nine... anyone copy?". Someone would answer "Gotcha here good buddy". "You got the Cracker Jack here. How's my signal?" "Ummm, it's OK. Maybe a little weak" "Hold on, let me put my new signal booster into BOOST mode...... how is it NOW" "Wow, that's much better. Like nigh and day. Where did you get that thing?" and a satisfied customer was born right along side a new one.

Now, what was actually going on here?

The sneaky guys that made this little box were later convicted of fraud. You see, the box was nothing but a switched resistor circuit. In 'BOOST' mode, the signal passed straight through and was unaltered. In NORMAL mode, the signal passed through a resistor where it was WEAKENED.

Buyer beware.

Sort of like the Monster Cable demo systems in stores. Compare their long fat copper to long, thin copper. You hear the volume chop and decide, Wow! Ain't Monster Cable Great!!!!

Sort of like the Monster Cable demo systems in stores. Compare their long fat copper to long, thin copper. You hear the volume chop and decide, Wow! Ain't Monster Cable Great!!!!

I remember being in a Circuit City store in the late 1980's and a saleperson was demonstrating two pairs of speakers to a woman. The first pair had a very sweet and transparent sound that came across as balanced and even across the specturm. The second set sounded harsh and very low-midrangey. But... they were louder.

Guess which ones she bought? I wanted to say something but it was none of my business. At that time in my life I had a small home recording studio so maybe I was just more attuned than the average person.

I remember being in a Circuit City store in the late 1980's and a saleperson was demonstrating two pairs of speakers to a woman. The first pair had a very sweet and transparent sound that came across as balanced and even across the specturm. The second set sounded harsh and very low-midrangey. But... they were louder.

Guess which ones she bought? I wanted to say something but it was none of my business. At that time in my life I had a small home recording studio so maybe I was just more attuned than the average person.

I miss my Mission 707's ...

Hi guys,

Thank you kindly for any help as this is my first drone, and I went straight for a Phantom 4 PRO.

1 - I'm wondering whether the higher dBi the better the antenna?
I live on a hill right behind the beach & have a view for miles. There's an uninhabited beach about 7 km away across the bay that I wanna explore, you can't even get there by 4X4,
(..it is in direct line of sight). ..and don't say; "get a boat!"

2 - I'm wondering what the differences (pro's & con's) between the 2.4GHz & the 5.8GHz antenna's are.

Thanks again peeps
...Boz, alil more nfo on Antenna's can be found on my website ---> Equip Page ---> Phantom Tab...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Reactions: Boz and On_Bail_Cuz
Line of Sight does not imply that you hear it somewhere, that it looks like a dot, and you have no idea what your YAW is. Recommend a range extender for LOS distances (<2000') in noisy areas.

Line of Sight does not imply that you hear it somewhere, that it looks like a dot, and you have no idea what your YAW is. Recommend a range extender for LOS distances (<2000') in noisy areas.

Not all countries have to apply line of site, different rules for different countries, stop trying to police people, if long distance is what they enjoy then so be it

Some people love to go long distances

Some people don't want to go more then 100m

Each to their own, as long s they are flying safe and responsible and paying attention to their laws in their country. Then let them be, you dont know their individual circumstances

Reactions: HitFactor and Boz
I live in a little seaside village (Kingston Beach) & can see for miles across the bay to the South Arm from my deck (I live on the hill that runs down to the beach) ..anyway, I've also got a set of Lume Cubes & mounts so on a still clear afternoon as the sun goes down I wanna try and fly across there & check out the uninhabited beaches.. etc.
I'm guessing it's about 4km across the bay.
I'm wondering whether high or low DBi 2.4 gHz?

Not all countries have to apply line of site, different rules for different countries, stop trying to police people, if long distance is what they enjoy then so be it

Some people love to go long distances

Some people don't want to go more then 100m

Each to their own, as long s they are flying safe and responsible and paying attention to their laws in their country. Then let them be, you dont know their individual circumstances
Yea, I'm stoked that the Australian laws have relaxed to allow any drone under 2kg to be piloted unlicensed.

Yea, I'm stoked that the Australian laws have relaxed to allow any drone under 2kg to be piloted unlicensed.

We are pretty blessed with our laws so far in Australia they are quite relaxed, just i hope they stay like that, things are getting crazy in other parts of the world and people see drones as such a danger

..the best way to get people to accept them is to be friendly, show 'em how cool they are to fly & keep it safe.

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
..the best way to get people to accept them is to be friendly, show 'em how cool they are to fly & keep it safe.

Personally I have never had an issue with people, I went to Gold Coast and was flying on the beach every morning catching the sunrise and people who were going for morning jogs or surfers about to hit the surf everyone was awed and loved it, they would stop hang around for a bit then I'd have a little chat and they would continue on their day

Personally I have never had an issue with people, I went to Gold Coast and was flying on the beach every morning catching the sunrise and people who were going for morning jogs or surfers about to hit the surf everyone was awed and loved it, they would stop hang around for a bit then I'd have a little chat and they would continue on their day
..that's because Aussie's are awesome!! The lucky country!!

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
Hi guys,

Thank you kindly for any help as this is my first drone, and I went straight for a Phantom 4 PRO.

1 - I'm wondering whether the higher dBi the better the antenna?
I live on a hill right behind the beach & have a view for miles. There's an uninhabited beach about 7 km away across the bay that I wanna explore, you can't even get there by 4X4,
(..it is in direct line of sight). ..and don't say; "get a boat!"

2 - I'm wondering what the differences (pro's & con's) between the 2.4GHz & the 5.8GHz antenna's are.

Thanks again peeps
In my experience, if you use the Auto 5.8Ghz HD setting on the P4P, you will have full signal and video bars out to well over 4 miles, even over heavily urban areas at 100' AGL. I use a $15 windsurfer over the stock antennas to help concentrate the signal and improve FPV stability. I can virtually guarantee you will get there, using the same setup, especially since you are starting out at higher elevation with no intervening LOS obstructions. Whether you make it back will depend upon the wind! ;)

Save your money! No antenna mods are necessary on the P4P, unlike the P4 and P3P which require them to go past 3 miles!

One other tip. Flight time will be the longest if you fly with OA turned on, limiting you to 30mph. I had a 24 minute, 55,000 foot flight this evening on one battery, landing with 13% remaining battery. That's typical using the settings I described.:cool:

In my experience, if you use the Auto 5.8Ghz HD setting on the P4P, you will have full signal and video bars out to well over 4 miles, even over heavily urban areas at 100' AGL. I use a $15 windsurfer over the stock antennas to help concentrate the signal and improve FPV stability. I can virtually guarantee you will get there, using the same setup, especially since you are starting out at higher elevation with no intervening LOS obstructions. Whether you make it back will depend upon the wind! ;)

Save your money! No antenna mods are necessary on the P4P, unlike the P4 and P3P which require them to go past 3 miles!

One other tip. Flight time will be the longest if you fly with OA turned on, limiting you to 30mph. I had a 24 minute, 55,000 foot flight this evening on one battery, landing with 13% remaining battery. That's typical using the settings I described.:cool:

Which windsurfer did you go with for the P4P?

Which windsurfer did you go with for the P4P?

I wouldn't think to much about which one, they all pretty much function the same, I'd go for the cheapest one that obviously has the reflective material and slides onto the antenna, but they are all pretty much the same as they all function the same which is to transmit the signal and reflect it from the antennas into the direction you are pointing them, so don't go to much into brands or anything, they are cheap though so you may as well get them and try them out and make your own assumption on wether they suit your needs

But Imo windsurfer are hit and miss, they DO work but they are extremely reliant on the direction they are facing and it can be quite hard to maintain that perfect direction, I started off using a windsurfer and I didn't know how to use and I would loose signal at <200m then I worked them out and it increased the stock range I was getting but nothing that great because they do not offer penetration, they direct the signal they way your facing them but if there is trees and buildings around they will not do that good (imo)

You want something that offers penetration as well as range, personally the penetration is more important for me as max range is not always what your are trying to achieve unless you strictly fly all the way out and back all the time, I like to be able to have a great signal in all areas and if I want to go the distance I can

Not trying to offend anyone so if I do I apologise, I'm just giving my opinions and feedback, take what you want from it but I think it's important people explain their views and experiences with others and help communicate so we can all educate ourselves and each other

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga