Hi guys, just bought a P4P & need antenna info..

Boz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thank you kindly for any help as this is my first drone, and I went straight for a Phantom 4 PRO.

1 - I'm wondering whether the higher dBi the better the antenna?
I live on a hill right behind the beach & have a view for miles. There's an uninhabited beach about 7 km away across the bay that I wanna explore, you can't even get there by 4X4,
(..it is in direct line of sight). ..and don't say; "get a boat!"

2 - I'm wondering what the differences (pro's & con's) between the 2.4GHz & the 5.8GHz antenna's are.

Thanks again peeps

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether the higher dBi the better the antenna?

Also I'm wondering what the differences (pro's & con's) between the 2.4GHz & the 5.8GHz antenna's are.

Thank you kindly for any help as this is my first drone, and I went straight for a Phantom 4 PRO

2.4 GHz should be better in extraurban, wide open areas free of interference. Longer range.

5.8 GHz should be better in urban/suburban radio clutter areas as there's less competition for the spectrum.

As to "higher dBi" one would assume so, but why are you asking that specifically?

2.4 GHz should be better in extraurban, wide open areas free of interference. Longer range.

5.8 GHz should be better in urban/suburban radio clutter areas as there's less competition for the spectrum.

As to "higher dBi" one would assume so, but why are you asking that specifically?
Thx,

Well the Q about the higher dBi is the fact that the dBi ranges a lot on the antenna available on eBay. From 4 up to 10+ dBi

DJI quote the maximum range on 5.8 ghz as 800 metres, only useful in an area that has massive congestion on 2.4 ghz. The max range for your drone is in reality always on 2.4 ghz. European spec is around 4 kilometres given ideal conditions. Over the sea in a non congested area, you should easily get 4.5 kilometres away on 2.4 ghz.

Reactions: Boz
If you want real distance you could consider one of these, built in twin 3 watt amplifiers, 14 dbi panels with voltmeter , inbuilt 3000 milli amp hour battery. Conquer range extender.

23a2f9_ee5b33fa17e44facaf1c38d75ee84170-mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.png

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
DJI quote the maximum range on 5.8 ghz as 800 metres, only useful in an area that has massive congestion on 2.4 ghz. The max range for your drone is in reality always on 2.4 ghz. European spec is around 4 kilometres given ideal conditions. Over the sea in a non congested area, you should easily get 4.5 kilometres away on 2.4 ghz.

Hmmm https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#specs shows the 5.8 GHz range as more or less matching the 2.8 GHz range (different for CE, etc). Same in the manual.

I mainly use 5.8mhz and get 10-12,000 feet out no problem?

Yep it will all depend on where you are, what loads there are on either frequency and objects in the foreground. There must be a hundred threads on this, 5.8 ghz vs 2.4ghz and everyone ive read says that the 2.4 ghz band will give you further distance. DJI techs also have said this. But each to his own, Brimba yes it does fit the p4p, but you will need to set your drone to 2.4 ghz, as it works only on 2.4 ghz not dual band. I have this installed on my P4P

It's there for looks, the "Halo" lights do not provide any features except when your around people and want to look badass lol, you can toggle them off or on. 99% of the time i have them off to save battery life, but when I wanna look like Johny Dangerous around people to show of my sick set up then I'll turn them on lol.

It has its own built in battery and doesn't drain the controller

Nope, just a happy customer

I'm from Australia and the company is based somewhere in the US

I had a lot of questions before I purchased and done a lot of research into range extenders saw this originally on Facebook through a group and a few admins posted reviews, I also looked for other people who had purchased it and started to ask them questions and I heard nothing but good reviews, I then contacted the guy from the company and had some questions and some information regarding the unit, I ended up getting it after hearing all the results and reviews, the guy provided great customer service and he went that extra mile to help me with any questions I had regarding the install and questions. Honestly his customer service experience dealing with him was the best, he also included the whip antenna for me at no extra cost, shipping took like 4 days from US to Australia which was crazy fast, also when I was asking people that had purchased it all them noted how well it was made and nice it looked as well as the performance which I admit it does look sexy, if I was to say anything negative about it it's that it can be a little heavy for some people, I don't mind it but I could see it being an issue for some although most the people I heard of using it also wore a lanyard with the controller

Nope, just a happy customer

I'm from Australia and the company is based somewhere in the US

I had a lot of questions before I purchased and done a lot of research into range extenders saw this originally on Facebook through a group and a few admins posted reviews, I also looked for other people who had purchased it and started to ask them questions and I heard nothing but good reviews, I then contacted the guy from the company and had some questions and some information regarding the unit, I ended up getting it after hearing all the results and reviews, the guy provided great customer service and he went that extra mile to help me with any questions I had regarding the install and questions. Honestly his customer service experience dealing with him was the best, he also included the whip antenna for me at no extra cost, shipping took like 4 days from US to Australia which was crazy fast, also when I was asking people that had purchased it all them noted how well it was made and nice it looked as well as the performance which I admit it does look sexy, if I was to say anything negative about it it's that it can be a little heavy for some people, I don't mind it but I could see it being an issue for some although most the people I heard of using it also wore a lanyard with the controller

Oh ok only reason I ask is because your the only person I've seen so far mention this extender and although you give it a lots praise for " looking cool around people " you say little about anything else regarding real world testing/comparisons ,

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl