Help! FPV options are killing me...

Reaction score
I got rid of my Vision+ because the gimbal and camera assembly SUCKS complete **** balls. I've ordered a Phantom 2, Zenmuse H3-3D, iOSD Mini and GoPro Hero3+ Black. The only thing I can't find solidarity on are the FPV systems. I've looked at Black Pearl, KumbaCam, Lilliput, yada yada yada.

What are YOU using and what kind of range are you seeing? I need FPV out to about 3,000 ft.

HELP!

I have skyzone googles, boscam 2000 mva, 2 cloverleaf antenna, the fartest i have flown is 400 m and they work fine, i am pretty sure you can get much more out of them but i am scared of flying any further, lol

Sana

I totally understand how overwhelming getting into FPV can be when you're new to it, as you say there are a huge variety of choices in equipment and kits.

One of the first concepts you need to be clear on is the 2 different "families" (manufacturers) of equipment in the 5.8Ghz range... Boscam vs Fatshark/ImmersionRC.
Boscam compatible equipment uses frequency/channels 5705, 5685, 5665, 5645, 5885, 5905, 5925, and 5945
ImmersionRC uses frequency/channels 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860

notice the difference? Receivers tend to work better with 1 family or the other... while there are some "32 channel receivers" that list compatibility with both systems, scuttlebutt around here is they still work better with 1 set or the other, so I advise you make sure you get receiver equipment (goggles or screen) compatible with your transmitter. If you buy a kit this won't be a problem as the kit was built with compatible equipment, but if you're looking to save $ or build a system yourself you need to be aware of the above concept. btw, this difference does NOT apply to antennas... as long as you get 5.8Ghz antennas, they'll work with either set.

speaking of antennas, they are just as or more important than the core equipment you buy. A powerful transmitter with a shitty antenna attached will perform much worse than a low power transmitter with great antennas. I started off with crappy $10 antennas and a 200mW transmitter and granted I was in urban environment with high interference but I was only getting 50m max.

Now I have a Boscam TS352 500mW transmitter combined with the FPVLR 3 antenna kit (2 spiral 1 helix) and it's rock solid out to several hundred meters, I haven't tried any super long range runs yet but it's theoretical range should easily be over 1000m with the helix antenna and diversity receiver I have.

Do you understand the concept of a "diversity receiver" ? if not I can elaborate

tch1972, Sanababit and QYV have gotten you off to a good start here, I'll go ahead and move this thread to the FPV section where you'll find lots of relevant info and feedback on the different options.

yea I very much look forward to some longer distance testing I've just been too busy lately :)

Tony I'm going to email you a question about helix antenna orientation

Don't waste your money or time with anything else other than Lightbridge. It has the telemetry just like the iOSD does, it does long range, and it does HD video downlink. Look at my videos on my signature and you'll get an idea of the distance I have pushed it without loss of image quality on my screen while flying fpv.

lucid111 said:
Don't waste your money or time with anything else other than Lightbridge.

and what a bargain at only $1400! only 4 times more expensive than regular fpv lol

I mean yea it's great and all but I'm not spending more on a FPV system than I did on the Phantom heh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl