Help with FPV please

Ok, yes I have the shell open and the L2 is burnt out, sorry I should've said I had a look to see. But I have a new board on its way and I'll get back to you when I've installed it.

I have the replacement board in now and going to do a test flight soon just to make sure all is ok... quick question though Jason, would it be safe to try the immersion? I need to find out if it's OK. I would use the plug and play cable NOT the one I used that blew the L2.

Right, so with a new main board, new ImmersionRC and a plug and play cable that connects the immersion and the iOSD mini, I still get the same black screen with the OSD I had before (exactly the same thing happens I had in my above video post). I dont know what else I can try?

Right, so with a new main board, new ImmersionRC and a plug and play cable that connects the immersion and the iOSD mini, I still get the same black screen with the OSD I had before (exactly the same thing happens I had in my above video post). I dont know what else I can try?

On my last post on page 1 I gave you all the info you need to check continuity from the USB ribbon cable to the CAM socket that is if you have a VOM. Just looking at those cable will not tell you there is continuity from one end to the other. Since you have OSD telemetry on the screen there isn't anything wrong with the immersion but I could br wrong if the continuity checks out ok.

Look I spent over 20 year as an electronic repair technician so i am familiar in how to preform a continuity check. So if you what to check video continuity of the ribbon cable lets start removing the USB connector. Next if you haven't already open the shell of your P2. Now connect one probe to pin 2 (ground) of the CAM socket an the other probe to the very bottom (ground) of the ribbon cable and you should the continuity tone. That is if your meter has a ringer or zero ohms. The next terminal up on the ribbon cable and pin 1 on the CAM socket are the video line and should have either a tone or zero ohms.

If gimbal goes through its normal startup sequence there nothing wrong with the rest of that circuit. There should also be a red LED on the backside of the gimbals camera plate near the tilt motor. So if there is no damage to L2 supplying power to the video transmitter then I have no idea what you have done. So as I said if you have not opened the shell and looked in side I cannot be of much help until you do.

Ok thanks Jason, I'll give it a go. I did check the ribbon for continuity but not to the CAM socket. By the way, just to confirm your advice, I need to remove the USB connector from the GoPro yes? And you are referring to the ribbon cable that connects to the back of the gimbal?
The gimbal does go through the normal startup sequence and works fine.

If I get continuity from those 2 connections, it must be the USB cable in the GoPro?

Ok thanks Jason, I'll give it a go. I did check the ribbon for continuity but not to the CAM socket. By the way, just to confirm your advice, I need to remove the USB connector from the GoPro yes? And you are referring to the ribbon cable that connects to the back of the gimbal?
The gimbal does go through the normal startup sequence and works fine.

If I get continuity from those 2 connections, it must be the USB cable in the GoPro?

That,s correct remove USB connector off the ribbon cable. Now if you have continuity from the bottom 2 on the ribbon to pin 3 an 4 on the cam socket then the only thing left would be the camera itself.

When GoPro came out with version 3.0 for the camera everyone using a hero 3+ silver/black camera found that the USB port no longer produced a video signal. That is why I have asked if you upgraded the firmware. Of course in your case you might have a damaged USB connector inside the camera which can be repaired if that is the case.

That,s correct remove USB connector off the ribbon cable. Now if you have continuity from the bottom 2 on the ribbon to pin 3 an 4 on the cam socket then the only thing left would be the camera itself.

When GoPro came out with version 3.0 for the camera everyone using a hero 3+ silver/black camera found that the USB port no longer produced a video signal. That is why I have asked if you upgraded the firmware. Of course in your case you might have a damaged USB connector inside the camera which can be repaired if that is the case.

The continuity is good on both pins I think. In the earlier post you said CAM pin 2 to ribbon 1 (bottom) and CAM pin 1 to ribbon 2 (next up)
And the continuity is good, but your last post, bottom 2 on the ribbon to CAM pin 3 (is ok) and 4 (isnt)

So, if the connection I'm looking for is CAM pin1 and 2, then everything is good? I've looked inside the GoPro USB connector, it looks clean and it is definitely v02.00

The continuity is good on both pins I think. In the earlier post you said CAM pin 2 to ribbon 1 (bottom) and CAM pin 1 to ribbon 2 (next up)
And the continuity is good, but your last post, bottom 2 on the ribbon to CAM pin 3 (is ok) and 4 (isnt)

So, if the connection I'm looking for is CAM pin1 and 2, then everything is good? I've looked inside the GoPro USB connector, it looks clean and it is definitely v02.00

Sometimes I do make mistakes. So here are the are the correct pins on the CAM socket 1 video, 2 ground, 3 B+ power and 4 ground working from left to right.

Now for the USB ribbon cable.
When you remove the USB connector from the ribbon the bottom two copper strips the bottom one is ground an the other is video. So to check the continuity ground on the ribbon to pin 2 on the cam socket and then cam socket pin 1 to video strip on the ribbon cable.

Sometimes I do make mistakes. So here are the are the correct pins on the CAM socket 1 video, 2 ground, 3 B+ power and 4 ground working from left to right.

Now for the USB ribbon cable.
When you remove the USB connector from the ribbon the bottom two copper strips the bottom one is ground an the other is video. So to check the continuity ground on the ribbon to pin 2 on the cam socket and then cam socket pin 1 to video strip on the ribbon cable.

Ok thanks, yes I can confirm there is continuity from ground to ground and video to video.
I have removed the GoPro and taken out the SD card to check if it is recording OK, also when its powered on when mounted in the zenmuse, the red LED charging light is on.

Ok thanks, yes I can confirm there is continuity from ground to ground and video to video.
I have removed the GoPro and taken out the SD card to check if it is recording OK, also when its powered on when mounted in the zenmuse, the red LED charging light is on.

Well there's no way for you to check if there is video coming out of USB port on the camera unless you own an oscilloscope.

Well there's no way for you to check if there is video coming out of USB port on the camera unless you own an oscilloscope.

Unfortunately I don't. Would you think it's a gopro issue then? I mean what else could it be?

Unfortunately I don't. Would you think it's a gopro issue then? I mean what else could it be?

Well I asked you several times if you were sure that camera indeed did not have version 3.0 firmware on it and you replied it was v2.0. There only two ways for the camera not to produce video from the USB port 1 is v3.0 blocking video out an 2 a damaged USB connector in camera.

Now if you are handy you could disassemble the camera yourself and replace the defective board with the USB port or send it in for repair.

Here is a link for parts: www.peauproducts.com Input the camera you have then go into repairs and find the board you need. I would post the needed part myself but my PC is out for repairs and this tablet is not up to the task.

Well I asked you several times if you were sure that camera indeed did not have version 3.0 firmware on it and you replied it was v2.0. There only two ways for the camera not to produce video from the USB port 1 is v3.0 blocking video out an 2 a damaged USB connector in camera.

Now if you are handy you could disassemble the camera yourself and replace the defective board with the USB port or send it in for repair.

Here is a link for parts: www.peauproducts.com Input the camera you have then go into repairs and find the board you need. I would post the needed part myself but my PC is out for repairs and this tablet is not up to the task.

The camera says v0.2.00 is that v2.0 or is it really old firmware?
By the way, maybe I should get one of these https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories-2/mini-usb-composite-cable/ACMPS-301.html
Just to make sure that there is no video out from the USB. Its quite expensive though, but I may look into making my own, or ebay. What you think?

The camera says v0.2.00 is that v2.0 or is it really old firmware?
By the way, maybe I should get one of these https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories-2/mini-usb-composite-cable/ACMPS-301.html
Just to make sure that there is no video out from the USB. Its quite expensive though, but I may look into making my own, or ebay. What you think?

Yes v02.00 is the same as v2.0. You could try that cable to see if the camera is or isn't out putting video. But without spending any money why not record something then connect it to you computer to see if it will playback the footage. The cameras USB uses the same outputs that would feed your transmitter with video.

Yes v02.00 is the same as v2.0. You could try that cable to see if the camera is or isn't out putting video. But without spending any money why not record something then connect it to you computer to see if it will playback the footage. The cameras USB uses the same outputs that would feed your transmitter with video.

Well, I have recorded and connected from the camera USB to PC USB using the charging cable and I could playback the footage. So if the GoPro is OK what else could it be? I think the only thing left is the Black Pearl, but that receives the data from the iOSD.

Well, I have recorded and connected from the camera USB to PC USB using the charging cable and I could playback the footage. So if the GoPro is OK what else could it be? I think the only thing left is the Black Pearl, but that receives the data from the iOSD.

Stop an think for a moment. Remember you said you had a black screen with iOSD telemetry. Is that not correct? With the camera off does the screen flash on/off or roll across the screen? If not then there isn't any thing wrong with your monitor.

Stop an think for a moment. Remember you said you had a black screen with iOSD telemetry. Is that not correct? With the camera off does the screen flash on/off or roll across the screen? If not then there isn't any thing wrong with your monitor.

Ok, with the camera on and monitor on, I get the black screen with iOSD data, when I turn the camera off, the monitor goes to static, with no iOSD data. I cant remember if it rolls, but both the monitor and camera are set to PAL.

Yes there is some rolling if you check my video, the static is rolling across the screen, but when the mode on the camera reaches the video mode, it does stop rolling. Dont know if that helps.

Ok, with the camera on and monitor on, I get the black screen with iOSD data, when I turn the camera off, the monitor goes to static, with no iOSD data. I cant remember if it rolls, but both the monitor and camera are set to PAL.

Had you replaced the transmitter or is it the original? Do the test again with the camera on and off to see if it rolls or is solid on the screen. Can you post a video of what it does with the camera on and when it's off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic