Gimbol on a fc40

Right. My point was: that whether someone dremels or cuts... the 4000's won't fit unless you make the opening larger. I'm glad you've never had to take a knife to any of your quads :)
Someone on another forum sent me a pm saying he was not going to ruin his quad by cutting on it:confused:
The first few times I crashed my FC40 I ruined a couple props,broke my camera mount. After I upgraded to the Walkera G2 I did some tree trimming and ripped the wires from the radio receiver when the landing legg tore off. I'm a tech for Coca-Cola, I fix broken stuff all day...that's what I enjoy.

Someone on another forum sent me a pm saying he was not going to ruin his quad by cutting on it:confused:
The first few times I crashed my FC40 I ruined a couple props,broke my camera mount. After I upgraded to the Walkera G2 I did some tree trimming and ripped the wires from the radio receiver when the landing legg tore off. I'm a tech for Coca-Cola, I fix broken stuff all day...that's what I enjoy.

The main reason I got into this hobby is because I like to tinker, modify and fix things! I like to fly as well but working on them really is half the fun!

Reactions: Tallyrver
I started because a friend sent me a video of himself on the side of a mountain. as the picture zoomed in i saw what he was doing. flying a Phantom...thats when my addiction started.

anyway back on topic..i just ordered a new Storm32 3 axis controller for the Walkera G3D .just in case i get bored with it.

I started because a friend sent me a video of himself on the side of a mountain. as the picture zoomed in i saw what he was doing. flying a Phantom...thats when my addiction started.

anyway back on topic..i just ordered a new Storm32 3 axis controller for the Walkera G3D .just in case i get bored with it.

How is that better than the one that came with the gimbal?

How is that better than the one that came with the gimbal?
I have been reading about the Walkera G3 gimbal. seems like lots of people are very happy with the construction and performance of the gimbal. it is also one of the lightest out there. one thing that comes up a lot is the controller. people have had issues with the controller acting up.
the Storm32 3 axis is used by many. lots of talk on another site.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165907
so far i am happy with the G3 ...but i like to tinker:D
and for $22.00 it wont break the bank.
i still need to play with the Naza gains on the F550 , and get them in line

I've got a walkera g2 plastic gimbal on mine. It works well. I've had a lot of crashes with it, and the gimbal holds up well. It doesn't need any modification to fit the phantom (other than flipping the top plate around) and isn't difficult to power from the phantom lipo.

I have been reading about the Walkera G3 gimbal. seems like lots of people are very happy with the construction and performance of the gimbal. it is also one of the lightest out there. one thing that comes up a lot is the controller. people have had issues with the controller acting up.
the Storm32 3 axis is used by many. lots of talk on another site.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165907
so far i am happy with the G3 ...but i like to tinker:D
and for $22.00 it wont break the bank.
i still need to play with the Naza gains on the F550 , and get them in line

Walkera G2 gimbal installed:) I'm using the F2 port to power and adjust the pitch. The mini cameras did not come yet, but I have quite a few packages remaining. Hopefully all will be ready for July 4th. The wife's bird is up next with most of those parts coming by Tuesday (The things I do for her:rolleyes:) By the way, the screws were too short as you said to fit the camera on the gimbal, but my laptop has the same sized screws for the case so I used 2 of them to attach the SJCAM. I will scavenge parts from almost anywhere for this hobby:)

Walkera G2 gimbal installed:) I'm using the F2 port to power and adjust the pitch. The mini cameras did not come yet, but I have quite a few packages remaining. Hopefully all will be ready for July 4th. The wife's bird is up next with most of those parts coming by Tuesday (The things I do for her:rolleyes:) By the way, the screws were too short as you said to fit the camera on the gimbal, but my laptop has the same sized screws for the case so I used 2 of them to attach the SJCAM. I will scavenge parts from almost anywhere for this hobby:)
I discovered something in the Naza settings for the gimbal , In the automatic control gain I set the pitch to zero. I was having a problem with the gimbal moving up when I moved forward and down when I moved back. I remember the G2 doing that a little ,but not like the G3 was doing. The setting fixed it.

I discovered something in the Naza settings for the gimbal , In the automatic control gain I set the pitch to zero. I was having a problem with the gimbal moving up when I moved forward and down when I moved back. I remember the G2 doing that a little ,but not like the G3 was doing. The setting fixed it.

I had mine set to 2, but I will set it to 0. What were the best settings for the walkera on your FC40? Right now I have:

pitch 400
center 50
min -200

I had mine set to 2, but I will set it to 0. What were the best settings for the walkera on your FC40? Right now I have:

pitch 400
center 50
min -200

Last edited:
I have the G3 set on 350 0 -350 ,for the G2 it was 450 0 -450
Depends what the gain on the Walkera board is set at.
At 350 the gimbal moves tilts up and down slow. I have the tilt wheel,the lever may be different .

I have the G3 set on 350 0 -350 ,for the G2 it was 450 0 -450
Depends what the gain on the Walkera board is set at.
At 350 the gimbal moves tilts up and down slow. I have the tilt wheel,the lever may be different .

I had to set it to 450 0 -200. Reason I use -200 is because at -450, I can literally see under the quad LOL:D At -200 though I can see up skyward just enough. I still cannot believe how easy this was to setup. All you need is one cable for the pitch and power. I did replace the dampener balls with ones for a vision. They are slightly shorter which gives a little more room to where I do not need leg extensions.

:D
I had to set it to 450 0 -200. Reason I use -200 is because at -450, I can literally see under the quad LOL:D At -200 though I can see up skyward just enough. I still cannot believe how easy this was to setup. All you need is one cable for the pitch and power. I did replace the dampener balls with ones for a vision. They are slightly shorter which gives a little more room to where I do not need leg extensions.
Got video yet?

:D
Got video yet?

Nothing interesting yet, but coming soon. The mini cameras for FPV should be here tomorrow so I will be able to complete the projects and take the quad up for some tests. Almost wish I could stay home from work just to get it done, but I'll finish it up after I get home:)

She is badly bruised ,but she will live .my Walkera G3d took a beating but still fires up. The picture is with the Storm32 control board. The gimbal mount was bent but not broke.

She is badly bruised ,but she will live .my Walkera G3d took a beating but still fires up. The picture is with the Storm32 control board. The gimbal mount was bent but not broke.

What happened?o_O Hopefully you will be up in the air again soon.

I have not been flying myself, still waiting for 2 cameras. I tried to go the cheap route in ordering cameras for the FPV. somehow they did not work even though they are 12 volt. I ended up ordering 2 of the cameras you recommended which I should have done in the first place(lesson learned:oops:) I've seen online many people using their SJCAMs for FPV, but because of what happened with mine suddenly not working, I decided to not do things this way and separate recording and FPV. I did not have any voltage connected when it died, only the signal and ground cable, but yet the camera died anyway (you do not want that to happen when you are 700 meters out:eek:). I'm also using the stock charger instead of the ipad charger just in case the way I am charging the camera is also an issue (noticed it was charging at 2.4 amp instead of 1 amp as required for the SJCAM:eek:) As soon as the cameras come, I will be finished with both setups. Looking foreward to that lots.

Good luck with your repairs:)

I was up about a hundred feet filming the fireworks and may have hit the atti switch by mistake. It was windy and the only light was the led. By the time I saw it was on the run I lost orientation and panicked. It was gone...I hit the rth and hoped for the best. Looks like it hit the power lines down the street. But I got her back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I was up about a hundred feet filming the fireworks and may have hit the atti switch by mistake. It was windy and the only light was the led. By the time I saw it was on the run I lost orientation and panicked. It was gone...I hit the rth and hoped for the best. Looks like it hit the power lines down the street. But I got her back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maybe we need to get the light strips and dress these things up as UFO's for night flying. After a certain distance I cannot see the LEDs anymore and I often considered adding some more lighting to it for night flying. Even something flashing would make it easier to see. Normally the return to home should go up to 60 feet, but since you were at 100 it came down first:eek: Personally I do not think 60 feet is high enough and I would prefer a higher altitude for return to home.

On another note, I got some email feedback from Foxoffer about the SJCAM. As long as it is 5V and 1 AMP and above, the SJCAM should be fine. They were concerned about how the camera was grounded. The cable I bought from them has a black cable for grounding, but they are saying to use the green for groundingo_O I think I will continue with plan A and use the SJCAM for recording only until I have a solution that I feel is satisfactory.

Hopefully everything will be easy to repair for your bird. I like the open platforms because they offer so much flexibility. That will most likely be my next move.

The power line it hit was at least that high,I'm glad it didn't get stuck up there .

I have a set of these lights for some interesting night flying. They are too bright when filming

They are Strobon ufo lights. If I saw them while enjoying an adult beverage ,I might have to get under my bed and hide.i can turn them off and on while flying,but can't change the modes yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl