Gimbol on a fc40

Looks good in the pics and you did not have to modify your landing gear!

Going to leave the landing gear alone for now. I have to learn how to fly again with the gimbal and hero 3+! It flies really heavy now. Thats why I had a harrd landing coming down. Vrs is real! Just no way to recover! Everything is in one peice so we're good

I had a good day of testing and setting up the new Walkera D3D gimbal.
The first thing I had to do was put the tilt ,roll and yaw gains in the neutral position in the Pam program. That balances your camera .
I did a test flight and was not happy with it. The yaw was jerking around when I made a turn . I reset the yaw again , it was much better.
My next issue was when I moved forward or backward the gimbal moved up or down ,like I was moving the tilt wheel.
Again I searched and found a post about the Naza gimbal settings. I went into the Naza assistant and set the auto level to 0.
That fixed it. I'm still playing with the gains in the Pam program.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You made great progress with it. The real test is on Windy days, but based on what I have seen this gimbal will habdle it with no issues.

Going to leave the landing gear alone for now. I have to learn how to fly again with the gimbal and hero 3+! It flies really heavy now. Thats why I had a harrd landing coming down. Vrs is real! Just no way to recover! Everything is in one peice so we're good

Thats what I was afraid of. One of my theories is that VRS is affected by weight. What props do you have? I think the 9450 props will give you more lift, but I am not sure your flying style but you may have to take it easier coming down.

Last edited:
Looks good in the pics and you did not have to modify your landing gear!
When I had the Walkera G3 on the Phantom I used the extended landing gear. The G3 looks to be a little taller ,but should still fit under the FC40.
This is my setup now, F550 with Aimdroix extended arms . I use Aerocraft landing gear.

When I had the Walkera G3 on the Phantom I used the extended landing gear. The G3 looks to be a little taller ,but should still fit under the FC40.
This is my setup now, F550 with Aimdroix extended arms . I use Aerocraft landing gear.

Looks awesome:). Is there a reason you put your SJCAM is upside down? Does it help with something? I just bought the Walkera G2D for me and the wife is getting the G3. I got the plastic for myself, but her's will be metal. Going to setup both as soon as they arrive. One issue is I noticed that the Walkera is designed for a gopro so that cage it comes with does not fit I think with the SJCAM. I see you used zip ties on the G3D. Hoping it will not affect performance.

Last edited:
Thats what I was afraid of. One of my theories is that VRS is affected by weight. What props do you have? I think the 9450 props will give you more lift, but I am not sure your flying style but you may have to take it easier coming down.

I have 9450 CF props on. Crash was operator error, I know better than to come straight down. total weight 1187 gr is that on close to the tipping point? My flying style is carefull...I'm old! I'm dead sure weight was a factor.

I have 9450 CF props on. Crash was operator error, I know better than to come straight down. total weight 1187 gr is that on close to the tipping point?

I only start to get concerned once I get over 1200 grams. The larger props help, but I see that you noticed the difference in flight characteristics with the added weight. It is also where the weight is positioned as I like to center everything as much as possible and not have anything on the sides. I have 4000 mah batteries that add to the weight also, but I only use one at a time, no more dual setups. I had a gimbal before with an extra battery to power it. At that time I had not learned about how much things change with extra weight. I had 2 batteries on the side mounts and a smaller battery for the gimbal. It was way too much weight and flying was a nightmare. For me now, I try to center everything and go as lightweight as possible. I do not get VRS with this method, but I take things nice and easy focusing on getting good shots.

Looks awesome:). Is there a reason you put your SJCAM is upside down? Does it help with something? I just bought the Walkera G2D for me and the wife is getting the G3. I got the plastic for myself, but her's will be metal. Going to setup both as soon as they arrive. One issue is I noticed that the Walkera is designed for a gopro so that cage it comes with does not fit I think with the SJCAM. I see you used zip ties on the G3D. Hoping it will not affect performance.
i put it upside down for two reasons, i can get to the sd card and usb port, and i have the ND filter on it and helps with the balance a little.
the SJ 4000 is a little deeper and the bracket will not fit. i use a rubber band to hold it. i think it flexes a little and helps with the jello. i may get longer screws for the bracket,but this is quick to get the camera off.
Wayne

Reactions: sherpa
How much more does the 4000 weigh and how much cutting to get it in?

its the same width and height ,just about an 1/8 in or so deeper.
so a Velcro camera strap or rubber band will hold it in secure . ,

Is that the one from hobby king?

I will try longer screws to try to get things to work. I also bought those tiny cameras to put on the side of the gimbal for FPV.

If you have a dremel, you do not have to cut anything. I used a bit for sanding to smooth out a wider opening for the Multistar battery. I am getting 17 minutes consistently each time out. It is 244 grams and now only $19.96 in the US warehouse. Going to buy 2 more.

Specs:
Minimum Capacity: 4000mAh
Configuration: 3S1P / 11.1V / 3Cell
Constant Discharge: 10C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
Pack Weight: 244g
Pack Size: 112 x 34 x 30mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=66482

If you have a dremel, you do not have to cut anything. I used a bit for sanding to smooth out a wider opening for the Multistar battery. I am getting 17 minutes consistently each time out. It is 244 grams and now only $19.96 in the US warehouse. Going to buy 2 more.

Specs:

That's a good price, I have 4 of them . I use 2 in series to make a 6s and run them on my F550. I get 20 min .

R

Specs:

Right. No cutting if you dremel the opening larger lol.

For purpose of clarification, you do need to make the opening larger to fit the 4000s... not much and if you're careful how much you cut away (or dremel away) you can still have the battery door cover the now larger opening. I used a knife and carefully cut mine, and then filed it smooth, didn't take any longer than a few minutes.

That's a good price, I have 4 of them . I use 2 in series to make a 6s and run them on my F550. I get 20 min .

I was wondering why you only got 20 minutes, but then I realized you have 6 motors. I have not seen these batteries lower anywhere.

I was wondering why you only got 20 minutes, but then I realized you have 6 motors. I have not seen these batteries lower anywhere.
I have a 8000 mah 6s multistar that I can get 32 min. if I fly easy .
That's a lot of flying . It wears you out.

R

Right. No cutting if you dremel the opening larger lol.

For purpose of clarification, you do need to make the opening larger to fit the 4000s... not much and if you're careful how much you cut away (or dremel away) you can still have the battery door cover the now larger opening. I used a knife and carefully cut mine, and then filed it smooth, didn't take any longer than a few minutes.

I did not need to take a knife to any of my quads and it looks quite professional. I did say I used a Sanding bit to make the opening wider and it is also smooth and rounded so I can fit the wires to the side as well without issues

I have a 8000 mah 6s multistar that I can get 32 min. if I fly easy .
That's a lot of flying . It wears you out.

That actually sounds awesome. There is a huge Orchard across from me where they set off fireworks on July 4th. If I could fly right above my house for that long I could capture almost the entire show this year instead of 2 six minute videos I got last year. I'll settle for 17 minutes though and hope for some great shots.

I did not need to take a knife to any of my quads and it looks quite professional. I did say I used a Sanding bit to make the opening wider and it is also smooth and rounded so I can fit the wires to the side as well without issues
Right. My point was: that whether someone dremels or cuts... the 4000's won't fit unless you make the opening larger. I'm glad you've never had to take a knife to any of your quads :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.