Gimbal on the Vision?

Sooooo want a gimbal now, after many flights in it's the thing that ever so slightly bugs me. The Droneexpert gimbal looks great but wow over $700 shipped to Australia nooooooooooooooooooo way!

arinvideo said:
shartlza said:
Just saw this on Youtube, but not sure if you can still control tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EdtE2FZc9_A

That is awesome, hope someone can figure out how to keep the tilt function.

The way it's done in this video you would no longer control the tilt function within the app. And to be honest it would be no great loss. I'd prefer controlling tilt from the remote controller anyway as you would the zenmuse.

BenDronePilot said:
arinvideo said:
shartlza said:

The way it's done in this video you would no longer control the tilt function within the app. And to be honest it would be no great loss. I'd prefer controlling tilt from the remote controller anyway as you would the zenmuse.

I don't see why it couldn't be built into it.. the drone expert gimbal was able to retain use of this feature.

http://www.dronexpert.nl/wp-content/upl ... G_0889.mov

arinvideo said:
shartlza said:

In the comments section, he stated the tilt function is preserved. "Yes - the tilt function is preserved in the Vision app. You just need to set the gimbal gain values to zero in the Vision software, allowing the gimbal control board to have complete control over the X1/F2 input/output."

drone4me said:
arinvideo said:
shartlza said:

In the comments section, he stated the tilt function is preserved. "Yes - the tilt function is preserved in the Vision app. You just need to set the gimbal gain values to zero in the Vision software, allowing the gimbal control board to have complete control over the X1/F2 input/output."

NICE!

James Cole said:
When will this gimbal come out?

Says soon in the video description and he answers the cost question as well.

"Still hasn't been determined, but likely to be $300-400. Should know within a week what the cost will be, and will have some example footage posted as well."

Nice! Looking at that video at first I thought it's just a nicer 1-axis gimbal... thank goodness it seems to be a 2-axis gimbal.

But the battery hit is enormous! 5-10 minutes less??

LeoS said:
Nice! Looking at that video at first I thought it's just a nicer 1-axis gimbal... thank goodness it seems to be a 2-axis gimbal.

Yep, that's always going to be an issue - additional weight, plus the "always on" nature of brushless gimbals is going to result in shorter flight times. Plus given the slightly fiddly nature of getting the camera off the stock servo gimbal I would probably suggest this would be a permanent change rather than a swappable (certainly not in the field).

Pull_Up said:
LeoS said:

Yep, that's always going to be an issue - additional weight, plus the "always on" nature of brushless gimbals is going to result in shorter flight times. Plus given the slightly fiddly nature of getting the camera off the stock servo gimbal I would probably suggest this would be a permanent change rather than a swappable (certainly not in the field).

Sure, but phantom 2 w/ zenmuse AND fpv is quoted at 19 minutes. Just a flat 6 minutes hit with the excellent and proven gimbal AND a separate FPV solution.

I think the biggest issue with the gimbal conversation is that:

1) phantom 2 Vision owners are absolutely just as deserving of a gimbal that works with the vision camera as anyone else.

2) I take exception to the idea that the phantom 2 vision is just some beginner unit. The hell it is at that price. This unit should be just as upgradable as a phantom 2 or otherwise. This is a bit of what bothers me with the phantom 2 release, it's a great option, but it's still in pre-order and there are already gimbal options for it. as a vision camera/osd/telemetry owner I want to maintain the functionality I paid for. This is my third quad, so I see this as an ideal carry around for quick flights in neat places but as an early adopter and paying customer, I'll be totally confounded if they simply pander to the Phantom 2 crowd without giving us vision owners a great option.

3) I'm finding this thread is a bit off topic at times, too many people talking about the phantom 2 basic and what they would connect. This is a phantom 2 Vision thread in a P2V specific forum.

4) serving those who are proving your new platform is paramount, because the vision represents a better look at DJI's direction vs the stripped down versions.

5) If I was DJI I would be pissed that I am missing out on essentially 1:1 sales of phantoms to gopros. The vision represents a competing and more integrated option that offers great benefits to users. They need to push the vision camera line, offer an upgrade path for current vision users in the form of better cameras, and release hardware such as stabilized gimbals for their own platform. Start taking a piece of the go pro pie. Since the vision is mostly all in one with downlink, it could represent a nice upgrade path if sold at say 5.8 ghz for say, existing phantom owners.

6) Once again I repeat, I am happy with my visions performance, I want to keep it. I own a gopro and have no intention of using it in place of anything. I need stabilization as much as any gopro user. So if DJI drops the ball here, I will take a break on them until they have their business plan really sorted.

I hope that made sense.

Wow!! Well said Magnumb. I was reading your words and **** near hitting war drums while doing so. Then I looked at my calendar and realized my beloved P2V is not even two months old yet. I am flying (daily) a piece of tech that many governments would have wished for just yesteryear, yet we find ourselves so fast to expect solutions to perceived shortcomings.

I guess since we are in this instant society of disposable tech, that we can't help but be impatient, but heck, I see transmitters still costing more than what I paid for 2 visions. I surely see cameras costing more, and non of them fly.

A little off subject hear, but I was cleaning out old tech and came across one of those big tech purchases I had to convince my wife was essential for business in my bottom drawer. It's spotless, brand new looking and with the extended service protection it had cost me $500. It was an Hp Ipaq pocket pc crap thing. I clearly recall months later smart phones replacing them and doing more than they ever could.

Fast forward to today. I go to BestBuy on black Friday and get a Samsung galaxy s4 for free (I did have to pay upgrade fee, and tax) but it does so much, and gives me a larger screen for my P2V. The point being, that this tech stuff is going so fast, this quad will be outdated and bypassed before we know it. It may not be worth upgrading its capabilities, because there will inevitably be some new perceived shortcomings in relation to the next best thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on some better than thow trip, I'm truthfully fresh off of reading the "vision gimble" thread with high hopes mind you, but I just wanted to point out how fast this stuff is actually going. I have a second unopened Vision for sale, and I'm starting to wonder how fast the value will drop. To highten my concern, I just read that dji will announce something revolutionary on January 7th??? What s next?

Rich

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl