Gimbal on the Vision?

Reaction score
I have asked this question before, but have not received a good answer. Since most of you have had your Vision for a few days, I am wondering if anyone has attached another gimbal with the GoPro. I would like to interchange the Vision camera with the GoPro.
It seems that to drop the camera, one must pop the white gromets, but looks like there might be servo wires in the way. I just wonder if those might be easily removed and tucked away, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Firestat said:
I have asked this question before, but have not received a good answer. Since most of you have had your Vision for a few days, I am wondering if anyone has attached another gimbal with the GoPro. I would like to interchange the Vision camera with the GoPro.
It seems that to drop the camera, one must pop the white gromets, but looks like there might be servo wires in the way. I just wonder if those might be easily removed and tucked away, etc.

Thanks for your help.

my question would be, yes drop the vision gimbal, ok, ditch the camera but what are you going to use to transmit the video from the new gopro you attach? or are you thinking flying 'blind' and just making use of the new platform for longer flying times etc?

edited to add: just re-read my post and although it reads somewhat confrontational, i assure you it isnt meant to be

I have been flying the origional Phantom, blind for a few months now, but also like being able to view where I am going.
My point is that I would like to interchange the cameras, as the gimbal I have for the Go Pro is much smoother. I do not want to get rid of the PV camera whatsoever, just be able to change them out.

Thanks for being the first to answer my post, maybe someone else is interested.

Chuck

There is a connector marked Zenmuse on the Vision board, my guess is the Phantom 2 will have that gimbal and it may be a future upgrade for the Vision.

The cable for the gimbal on the vision can be unplugged from the motherboard in the Vision and can be removed with the gimbal although it has a rubbery silicon type glue keeping the connector from coming loose that would have to be removed.

I noticed about a week before the p2v was shipped to the public, this company (http://aerialmediapros.com) posted the typical testing type of vidz and pics. Then on twitter or somewhere, they posted a pic of the p2v with a zen Meuse attached, and the comment said it worked well. I believe it also says without the live video transmission though. They said they would update, but I don't usually keep up with things via twitter. They are located in the US, in Southern California. Maybe they can help you with some advice.

Rich

Was just in there today. AerialmedialPros is 15 min form my home. They are my go to guys. Good dudes. They did get it to work partially from what they told me but only on one axis. Side to side but not front to back. Software issue or something (over my head) but they are still working on it. I guess they (DJI) prefer that they not mess with it because it interfere with there master plan or something to that effect. I too would love to see that option in the future. For now I'm just getting a hang of the thing.

James

Just wanted to share DroneFly.com's Instagram post for those of you not on that network. They are also attempting to mount the Zenmuse gimbal with GoPro to the Vision body. I know that Aerial Media Pros has previously attempted this, but ran into issue with Vision firmware and gimbal tilt. I love my Vision, and opted not to wait for a Phantom 2 in hopes that the Vision would eventually be upgradeable. Worst case scenario I can always sell the Vision and upgrade to whatever DJI has in store.

DroneFly's Instagram post: http://instagram.com/p/godnFhCF0e/

AerialMediaPros Instagram post: http://instagram.com/p/gHL-abtQVT/

Thanks for that info.
The gimbal that I would be using, a Salon Gadget Gimbal, is a plug and play gimbal. Currently, I just hang it off the Phantom 1, plug it into the the "extra" wires inside the Phantom via JST connectors, and it works like a charm. I don't currently use the pan and tilt axis. I can also plug it into a separate light weight battery pack that can be Velcroed to the Phantom, if I wish.

That being said, I basically would like to do the same thing with the Phantom Vision camera. I DO NOT want to get rid of the Vision camera as it provides a lot of uses, just interchange the cameras.

Are there extra wires in the PV? Can the Vision camera be easily taken off by just popping the white gromets?

Thanks for all the responses

Chuck

OK so here is the downside

1. The WIFI for the camera is Built into it..so to fit another camera you would loose the Video feed on a iphone
the Lead in the vision is for powe and sending data to the Camera processor.
Having looked in the camera you can not simply use the processor and a different camera as is

2, inside the PV there are connectors for EXP and Can bus but they are not the same as the ones on the zenmuse controller. Unless DJI come out with a conversion Kit I do not think it will work, the Zenmuse connector is fitting in the socket for Zenmuse.

Infact on the Controller board ids markd H2 3D so must be designed for updates. (I HOPE)

3. The 7rh cannel on the back of the transmitter did not seem to control up and down.

4. only real way to go with the PV is to Change the radio gear to normal 3.4Mhz like futaba, add a 2-4 video link with IOSD mini and then try a gimbal that has its own built in controller for axis control.

IN the words of my dealer the PV is meant to be a low level entry FPV option, not for professional looking video..

I will definatly be looking for ways to update.

Maybe, Fit a PMU v2 and the zenluse, but then would all the phantom stuff work ?
The inside is totally different to how the original PV works. for instance there is only one cable from the motor controll side of the Naza. The Led Boards are different. what will not work correctly if going this way...

We have to put requests to DJI as my dealer said to put pressure on them to allow the Zenmuse to be used on the PV...

Am investing in a F550 with a zenmuse, have a xaircraft gimbal also may try on the F450 first

Para, nice description of what is going on inside the PV.
Basically, all I want to do at this time is hang the gimbal that I use on the Phantom 1 off the Phantom Vision. FPV nor the Tilt function would not be necessary at this time. I would like to interchange the GoPro and Salon Gaget Gimbal that I have with the PV2 camera and gimbal at will. I simply love the fluid motion of Gaget Gimbal.

The only thing that is stopping me from trying to take the gimbal off the PV2 are the wires inbetween the camera attachement brackets. I believe they are the wires that connect to the servo. Can they easily be disconnected and then re connected? The rubber shocks are not exactly easy to deal with as well. I would hate to get myself into something I cannot reverse.

If there is anyone that may have taken the camera off, I would like to hear from them.

Thanks
Chuck

This may be a stupid question, but couldnt the camera that comes with the vision be adapted for other gimbals?

arinvideo said:
This may be a stupid question, but couldnt the camera that comes with the vision be adapted for other gimbals?

I'm wonderring the same thing. If we can swop in a 2 axis, and switch over the camera, we're in business.

Rich

Richhealth said:
arinvideo said:

I'm wonderring the same thing. If we can swop in a 2 axis, and switch over the camera, we're in business.

Rich

I would like to invest in that kind of business too.

LeoS said:
Richhealth said:
arinvideo said:

Rich

I would like to invest in that kind of business too.

Same for me, I'm happy with the Vision camera and don't want to loose the P2V's connectivity and FPV etc. But would definitely be interested in a gimbal, to smooth out the video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20