Gimbal on the Vision?

gunslinger said:
Awesome!!! Keep us up to date because this looks like a very worthwhile investment. How much was it?

Tanx....

-slinger

Approx $740AU

that's a nice gimbal.. but wow, why does it cost so much?! For that price I can buy the phantom2 with a zenmuse gimbal.

it looks like we need to modify or drill our current camera? will we lose FPV?

Vision camera will be connected with special tape. No drilling or something like that

I would like to get it but the price plus VAT kills it. That's a new phantom2 with gimbal price territory.

Studiowise said:
drone4me said:
I would like to get it but the price plus VAT kills it. That's a new phantom2 with gimbal price territory.
still have to add FPV and a monitor as you couldn't use the app

Looking forward to some reports on it!
Be interesting to see if it compromises wifi range...

No flying here today - 50mph winds outside. Not even a phantom can cope with that!

Studiowise said:
drone4me said:

You can use the app with the dutch gimbal. This is what is makes so interesting.
Look:
http://www.dronexpert.nl/wp-content/upl ... G_0889.mov

Not sure if it is ready yet when it arrives but they want to use channel 7 for the tilt. They are working on it and for little extra money you can buy the switch for it. I wait for more information from them to post and i am curious if the VAT is for me because i live not so far from them.

Drone7 said:
Studiowise said:
drone4me said:

You can use the app with the dutch gimbal. This is what is makes so interesting.
Look:
http://www.dronexpert.nl/wp-content/upl ... G_0889.mov

you didnt read what i was replying to ( i did quote it) i was answering the fact that the cost of the dutch gimbal means for the same price you could get the upcoming phantom 2 with a zenmuse gimbal. i was saying that to compare, you would have to add FPV to a phantom 2 (and you still couldn't use the app) to compare to a vision with dutch gimbal.

I'm interested to know if DJI has plans to create their own gimbal upgrade for the P2V in the future. As we know, there is a "zenmuse" port inside the P2V right? Has anyone got any info from DJI about this?

hulihee said:
I'm interested to know if DJI has plans to create their own gimbal upgrade for the P2V in the future. As we know, there is a "zenmuse" port inside the P2V right? Has anyone got any info from DJI about this?

It could be that they're just sharing components with the Phantom 2, so they don't take the trouble to remove that port on the Vision.

hulihee said:

Not really any info, but I installed a Zenmuse on a P2V and all it took is the 8-pin cable to the port labeled Zenmuse. It works just fine, but of course, I lost the FPV and I can't control the tilt because the Vision Assistant software does not show the X1 function at all, so I can't use channel 7 for tilt. It does nothing right now. It's very frustrating.

D

whitewatersalvo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoFxch4QSk

this shows it in action. Still too expensive for my taste, but no doubt I want one!

Crap... Looks great. How much?

-slinger

Dronexperts website now says production has begun, due to amount of orders it will take 2-3 weeks to deliver...

The on board footage of the stabilization looks pretty good particularly given how windy it seemed to be. However, I'd really like to see a whole lot more on board demo footage. That stationary shot of the pine tree really is not enough for me. I'd like to see a few fast moving shots, and especially like to see how well the gimbal keeps the camera upright on long side to side moving shots.

It looks like the P2V gimbal also increases your range of view up and down, looking up won't matter much unless you want to see your props in action, but it looks like it may be capable of shooting directly downward which could be useful...

As far $ goes, it does seem kinda overpriced given DJI is going to be selling all new P2+integrated gimbal for under $900. I've read somewhere that their currently existing zenmuse gimbal (now selling at a discount for $360) is not compatible with the new about the be released P2.

Soooo, perhaps whatever their new Zenmuse gimbal that will come stock on the P2 will also work with P2V (as we know software compatibility for P2V users trying to install current zenmuse gimbal has been an issue) .... Or maybe DJI will make their own vision gimbal, who knows! All i know is, with a 2 to 3 week ship date on dronexperts P2V gimbal @ $500+, I think I'll wait to see what happens when DJI has their Jan 7th announcement. At the very least I think I'll end up with a better deal + better gear.

I want a gimbal on the PV2 so bad it hurts. BAD. It drives me nuts to see shake or movement that would be cured (mostly) by a good gimbal. I have even toyed with the idea of selling my PV2 for the new P2 w Zenmuse set up. I ask my self constantly .....do I really need the FPV and telemetry? I mean its cool but the end result is the video.. thats what I share. Those who see the video don't care if I knew that it was X feet away or X feet up etc... they just appreciate the video. And having to put it into post production video editing every time (practically) on software that is expensive and I don't have (yet) AND is time consuming... its exhausting. Im all for a quick edit and some music and then share. Particularly now when I am NOT making any money from this thing ( and may not for some time if ever).

Sorry for the long winded head conversation. But like I said I REALLY would like a solid gimbal option for this thing.

*****edit****

Just watch the video on the gimbal..sweet! I may have missed it but does it retain the telemetry (oem stuff) that the camera has? If so dang it!! Thats awesome. I want one but 500? Woooo buddy..thats getting 'spenive. (but I still might get it).

J

JustJames said:
I want a gimbal on the PV2 so bad it hurts. BAD. It drives me nuts to see shake or movement that would be cured (mostly) by a good gimbal. I have even toyed with the idea of selling my PV2 for the new P2 w Zenmuse set up. I ask my self constantly .....do I really need the FPV and telemetry? I mean its cool but the end result is the video.. thats what I share. Those who see the video don't care if I knew that it was X feet away or X feet up etc... they just appreciate the video. And having to put it into post production video editing every time (practically) on software that is expensive and I don't have (yet) AND is time consuming... its exhausting. Im all for a quick edit and some music and then share. Particularly now when I am NOT making any money from this thing ( and may not for some time if ever).

Sorry for the long winded head conversation. But like I said I REALLY would like a solid gimbal option for this thing.

*****edit****

Just watch the video on the gimbal..sweet! I may have missed it but does it retain the telemetry (oem stuff) that the camera has? If so dang it!! Thats awesome. I want one but 500? Woooo buddy..thats getting 'spenive. (but I still might get it).

J

You sound as if you're more into the end result video than the fun of the FPV flying and live telemetry to keep you better informed if what you're doing along with the ability to fly further than you could if it was just your field of view. That being said you should have gone with the Phantom 2 Pro / Zenumuse Gimbal combo. Even with the cost of adding your own FPV and on screen display system it would still come out to being the same or less overall investment as the Phantom 2 Vision with this overpriced gimbal (however nice) is. Just my 2 cents. I like the looks of this gimbal but for that price i'm defiantly taking a pass. I can think of some ways to modify the existing gimbal to give it a 2 axis movement for a whole lot less. And yes, since that gimbal was using the vision camera you do in fact retain all of the Visions DJI app OSD and native FPV of the Phantom vision.

****"You sound as if you're more into the end result video than the fun of the FPV flying and live telemetry to keep you better informed if what you're doing along with the ability to fly further than you could if it was just your field of view. That being said you should have gone with the Phantom 2 Pro / Zenumuse Gimbal combo. Even with the cost of adding your own FPV and on screen display system it would still come out to being the same or less overall investment as the Phantom 2 Vision with this overpriced gimbal (however nice) is. Just my 2 cents. I like the looks of this gimbal but for that price i'm defiantly taking a pass. I can think of some ways to modify the existing gimbal to give it a 2 axis movement for a whole lot less. And yes, since that gimbal was using the vision camera you do in fact retain all of the Visions DJI app OSD and native FPV of the Phantom vision.******"

Ben I think you are partially right. I am into the end result. However the "fun" for me comes in getting that end result through smooth flying and learning new techniques. It's a challenge and that's what is fun. Admittedly flying these are not as much fun as I thought they would be. Partly because they are so good (to a degree) that they almost fly themselves. I think flying planes is more fun or RC cars are fun. This is a tool that I am looking for a certain result from and I am not getting it. I knew that going in but hoped for better.

You are right I should have bought the new phantom 2 set up with a gimbal. But it wasn't out yet and I bought this PV2 the day they came out. I have learned a lot and it is still entertaining but it is also a hassle. It's sketchy and unpredictable at times. It moves erratically some flights and smooth as silk others. No consistency. Maybe thats part of the "fun" or challenge but its frustrating to me. I feel like I cannot trust it yet...if ever. Especially with all the "fly away" posts and myriad of other glitches and issues. I feel like it is a risk every time I fly it. Not so much a financial risk (the unit itself) because I can accept that but more to the public and myself (legalities). I am still assessing in my head even now if its all worth it. Time will tell. If I can get some consistency out of her and smoother video through the use of a gimbal then I will be satisfied. If not I might look into a new hobby.

I do really appreciate your input and insight. Thank you for the comments.

James

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic