Getting ready to pull the trigger

Reaction score
Looking forward to joining the ownership ranks of a Phantom pilot. I am having a very hard time trying to decide on which way to go. I can see the many benefits of the p2-gopro over the p2v. This will be my first quadcopter and am leaning towards the p2v just for the simplicity of it and the fpv out of the box. I am quite handy but quite the novice when it comes to adding a gopro, compatible wifi, and hooking up a p2gopro to get fpv.. Will I be happy with the p2v?? Do you see upgrades for it with the gimble and camera in the future? Are there any out there now? Sorry for all the questions but this is a decent size investment and just want to do it right the first time...

I had the same thoughts. I got the P2V. The thing excels at still photography. I'm a retired professional photographer, and the prints I get are fabulous. The ability to hover, while you compose the shot is just cool. As to the video, the simple tilt gimbal is a limitation, and you will not get the sort of smooth images possible with a P2 and the 3D gimbal.

So, it depends on what you want to emphasize, still or video, & the level of video professionalism (smoothness in less than perfect conditions) you require.

I did a comparison with my GoPro and with the built in Vision camera and they are equal, with a slight edge to the Vision on color, and the GoPro in terms of options. (I mounted the GoPro on top of the P2V for this comparison).

There's something to be said for spending a while on a (now relatively cheap) Phantom 1 - you can still stick a camera under it, and if/when it crashes seriously consider then if it's worth doing an upgrade.

There is a lot to learn about flying it and setting it up before getting seriously into to the video/photos/FPV side of things.

With my OCD, there will be no doubt that I will want to upgrade so I may as well start there. I learned today and I guess most of you already know this but DJI is coming out with a P2V+ which has the 3 axis gimbal and extended wifi. Sounds like a lot of upgrades for only $100 more than the P2V. I almost bought the P2V this morning when B&H had them list with 2 extra batteries. I called & they confirmed. Told them I needed to move some funds around and would order this afternoon. When I logged back on the offer was gone and they could not find any trace of it. I guess it was a blessing & I was meant to wait because the "plus" model sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

Well, I picked my p2v up on Friday. Had my first flights on Sunday. What a blast. I called the dealer in MD and am able to switch for the new p2v+ in two weeks. And yes, very happy I pulled the trigger. This is my first RC in over 30 years.

Jim in MD said:
I called the dealer in MD and am able to switch for the new p2v+ in two weeks.

Intelligent UAS (1uas.com)?

You'll find a lot of people here who recently purchased P2V's and now wish their dealer was willing to do the same as yours.

Reactions: dirkclod
Looks like they will be released 4/21. B&H & Amazon are taking pre orders. Looks like I will be waiting till the end of the month to get one.. Wonder what upgrades are next?

blank stare.png
huh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl