Gear Security, Ever have anyone try to steal your Phantom?

I try not to fill my head with too much of what the news has to say, but I can honestly say I have never felt threatened by anything in my life, (I am near 60). This is going slightly off topic, but stay safe folks.
Not being ugly here Milly but don't think ..that don't happen in my neighborhood...and it don't have to be a gun. Cavemen used rocks !
The world not safe no more !!
Been in LE 20 years and maybe I am more aware of stuff ! Just saying

Yes, my wife also.
Yea I got mine one too !
Don't know what I was thinking :eek:
I think this has went way OT !! Not saying this is not something important just saying talking about guns here is
going to bring up gun control and just start a bunch of mess .

Last edited:
Yes agree.
Let's talk about drones again. We can debate the term drone, uav, camera platform. ...etc......!

Of course, just can't find those little smiley face guys on this phone.

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
I took my Sherman tank out with me last flight, unfortunately the heavy metal object mucked up my compass and I lost my drone, while I was out looking for it someone stole my tank.
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that! LOL :D

Hah. So crime only happens in "sketchy" areas?

My wife was nearly abducted in a nice neighborhood. My friend was robbed at gunpoint at the hospital. My mom was robbed at gunpoint at McD's in a nice area of town. My parents home was broken into in a nice area of town.

Good luck avoiding the "sketch"
I live in the murder capital of NY and we don't have those issues in the nice areas. What 'nice' city do you live? Detroit? :eek:

Oh yeah... lets keep this drone related. If this turns into a gun thread it will be terminated.

Oh yeah... lets keep this drone related. If this turns into a gun thread it will be terminated.
LOL

10-4. I was afraid of the thread turning into a "gun debate" as well. Didn't want that to happen.
BOT

Hah. So crime only happens in "sketchy" areas?

My wife was nearly abducted in a nice neighborhood. My friend was robbed at gunpoint at the hospital. My mom was robbed at gunpoint at McD's in a nice area of town. My parents home was broken into in a nice area of town.

Good luck avoiding the "sketch"
I'd be a fool to believe crime only happens in "sketchy areas."

I'd also be a fool not to recognize that crime is more prevalent in certain locations and certain parks.
Some of our local parks are filled with couples, families, and children. Some are filled with homeless, meth and/heroin addicts, or just your average n'er-do-wells and families avoid those parks. The same can be said of any wide open space where we fly. Know your environment and avoid areas that do not look safe or have a history of crime, and be wise enough to know that crime can happen anywhere.

FWIW: We've had our hospital pharmacy robbed at gun point twice, had a visitor stabbed to death in a hospital stairway, had an armed visitor overpower a guard and try to liberate a prisoner that was a patient, had a family member arrive at 0300, lock the psych unit nurses in the med room at gun point, and "liberate" his daughter from the unit. Had numerous armed suicidal people appear in the hospital lobby, waiting rooms, etc. I've never considered any of the hospitals or their grounds and parking areas to be safe places.

Last edited:
Well, I had a guy run up to me when I was flying in New Orleans' Lower 9th. I wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I knew I could have some problems in that location. Fortunately, I was flying for work and as-such was in a state vehicle. I was happy to answer his questions, but made sure he knew the bird was state property. But, I always carry some pepper spray with me. It works on dogs, and people if need be.

As to when I'm asked how much my kit costs (when I'm flying my personal gear). I tell them you can buy into a quadcopter system for as little as $100. I also lie, and tell them that my gear is GPS enabled, and that as soon as it turns on it pops up on an online map - a safety precaution should it land beyond my line of sight.

Land of the free and home of the brave?
I'm not sure if I would feel free or brave if everyone carried guns with them.

I have lived in a few dodgy places but I was amused by a report in the paper at my current location that the main court appearance for that week was a youth that threw an empty coke can out of a moving vehicle.

Reactions: MDR and GoodnNuff
Sounds like an excellent place to live. We enjoy that kind of freedom here in New Zealand as well

Reactions: Milly
I'm not sure if I would feel free or brave if everyone carried guns with them.

Not everyone carries a gun with them all the time in the US and I'm quite tired of this stereotype being perpetuated. I own a gun but it's for home defense only and though I could carry it, it would be a horridly bulky thing to try to conceal (H&K .45 pistol). Heck I don't think I've fired it in two years....I should go out to the coast range and let off a few rounds.

I'll try not to derail this topic anymore than it's already been but I'd rather be around a trained concealed carry permit holder with a gun than some thug with felony warrants who doesn't care about the law. A gun is only as dangerous as the person holding it. Mine's been sitting well out of reach for quite some time now and still hasn't killed anyone. :p

Reactions: Marlin009 and garpt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl