Gear Security, Ever have anyone try to steal your Phantom?

Reaction score
There was that one thread a while back about what do people say when they see your Phantom and the number 1 response is usually, "That must be expensive." Well, I usually fly in fairly nice areas or away from any people completely but the other day I flew in a public park close to a urban area that had quite a few homeless/transient types around.

During my 20 minute flight I was approached about 4 or 5 times by homeless people asking me for money or asking questions about the P3P. I fly with an iPad Air and that already gets there attention let alone the quad itself. I overheard two younger homeless people talking about how much you can sell those for as they were only about 15 ft. away. I'm a fairly larger guy but it honestly made me feel like I should carry pepper spray or something else with me when out in big public areas. I've seen people get jumped for a lot less.

With that being said, do any of you take any extra security measures when out flying? Has anything sketchy happened to you when alone with your quad?

I always carry concealed, but it pays to be aware of where you are flying and who is around. Might also be prudent to have someone watch your back in those situations.

Pepper spray?! When there are more than a few perps, chances are they'll take that away and shove it up your bum, then steal your bird. Either carry, have others with you, or don't fly in such places.

Reactions: RiZe-TommyGun
When I flew the stratosphere at night. I took off in the well lit Dennys parking lot but was still crawling with the sewer folk. I had my buddy with me for the flight and I usually always carry concealed. Or have my German Shepherd with me.

When I flew the stratosphere at night. I took off in the well lit Dennys parking lot but was still crawling with the sewer folk. I had my buddy with me for the flight and I usually always carry concealed. Or have my German Shepherd with me.
I agree it would be nice to have my Shepherd mix with me but he's a bigger danger to my quad than the sewer people. He hates that **** thing. He goes insane the second he hears those motors start.

WOW. hahaha.! You're lucky you can carry concealed or open where you live. But in Canada and in China where I live there is no way I can do that. Dog-repellent is what I carry in case of "stray dogs" *wink* and that is enough for me. But the beauty about the Phantom is you can evacuate the scene and have it hovering waiting for you.

As mentioned by another poster, have someone with you to watch your back and try to take off from high foot traffic areas just in case. Personally, I don't worry much but you should be aware of your surroundings. I like doing night shots so I am prone to thugs but even walking on the street with an iPhone or even nothing can get you in trouble. So worry less and fly with confidence, no one should mess with you. You can also get insurance for your drone and that way even if they steal it it's all good. I drive around with a $35,000 car which is way more expensive than my drone and I'm not worried about someone stealing it or robbing me, although I do drive with my doors locked and am aware of my surroundings at all times.

Remember though, your drone can also be used as a weapon if need be. Fly safe buddy!

Reactions: dirkclod
I always try to fly in well lit places and always have a gopro mounted on my head and recording in case anything happens.

Too young for a concealed carry permit I think, but the German Shepherd posts were a good idea. Maybe I'll train mine not to be afraid of it and then I can bring him with me.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I usually have an overwatch of two USMC 8541s with an M40 and the ability to rain down some mortars.

Reactions: Clipper707
I carry a gun everywhere. But then again, I'm an LEO and it's normal to me, not because of the phantom. Plus, I do keep very aware of my surroundings.

Snerd, one thing is for sure...when a gun goes off in a crowd, they won't be thinking, "Let's take it from him." It'll look like cockroaches when the lights come on.

Weapons aren't an option here in the UK. I am acutely aware of the type of people around me depending on where I am. Flying in open spaces near cities, you'll usually come across someone who might be interested in your Phantom for the wrong reasons. I do have a plan, though:
If I'm flying in a risky area, I'll take off near my car. If the wrong type approach me, I'll whack my Phantom high up, get in my car with the RC, drive to a safer place, and pilot the Phantom to me. How well that would work, I am unsure. But, at least I'd still have my wallet, phone, and RC if I was unable to fly the Phantom to me.

Lets hope I never have to do that, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers