Franks Phantom 4 Story.

Reaction score
I kept a record on the forum with my Phantom 3 Pro and if you guys, and ladies, dont mind I will do the same with my new acquisition a Phantom 4 Pro Plus.

Took me a while to find this drone at a good price but managed to get it for £1,242 whilst the main price seems to be £1891 except from some dodgy looking dealers with bad reviews. I found this on Amazon and ordered it last Friday and a week later I have it.

So this is, for better or worse, Franks Phantom 4 pro+ story. :)

Its arrived. I have unpacked. Activated. Everything, so far looks good. Its a brand new, never opened Phantom 4 Pro Plus!

First Impressions are really good. The screen is bright and the touch screen worked faultlessly so far. At the moment they are on charge. Yes I know you should not charge them both at the same time but hey got to live on the edge sometimes don't we? ;)

The only minor, and it is minor, point is that it does not come with a 3 pin plug. However neither did any of the three cameras I have. So I simply unplugged a camera battery charger. Plugged in the Phantom charger and away its going!

Reactions: Patoomey
OK. Got a little further.

First off I was asked to register then I got the "No Network" message and could not connect to the internet. That was soon sorted and I registered and named my drone. For the Drone Name I gave it my post code just in case it ever got lost/flyaway.

I remembered to remove the little bit of foam behind the gimbal. More impressed with the Gimbal lock this time, at least you dont need a PHD to put it on like you do on the Phantom 3.

Another important thing I almost forgot, take off those almost invisible covers over the sensors. I wonder how many are still flying with those on?

The props are much easier to put on and take off. I left the plastic on one set so I could tell old from new.

The RC maps have loaded up and found out where I am.

Played with a few settings. NSTC to PAL etc.

Batteries on charge and nearly done.

Next job is to dig my backpack out of the garage and see if all this new stuff fits in. Too dark to fly.

Getting there!

(I may even read the instructions tonight!)

I bought the P4P and love it, using a Samsung Tab s2, it's been pretty good so far but I do plan on getting a separate plus controller so I can have the option. The 5.5 inch screen doesn't bother me. I really like how bright it is though!

When I had my P3P I used a NVIDA Shield. It worked well. However the biggest pain in the watsit was being able to see the screen on a sunny day, even had a coat over my head on a very hot day before now. I am hoping that this screen, although comparatively smaller, will alleviate that problem.

Two more observations. The battery. Had a hard time trying to remember if the biggest bit on the battery goes on top or underneath, its just me, so if you are reading this and are new to them too just remember the 'on' button goes to the right.
The other thing is actually getting the battery in and out. Simply remember to push in the knobbly bits fully then tug out, it does go in/out much easier after its been done a few times.

One tends to forget these simple things once you have had the drone for a while, thats why I mention all this now.

Day two. Apparently the drone itself needs updating. After jumping through a few hoops including going to settings-about etc I managed to update.

Then I notice the 'update' button below all by itself. Was that there before? I dont remember seeing it but will try it next time it asks for an update.

Last edited:
Well took it out for a fly today. Just to get the feel for it. I converted it to a smaller format to make it clearer.

Click this :- Franks First Flight to see how it went.

One thing I did learn was dont play it in the VLC media player. It played vid back so badly I thought I was going to have to return it to Amazon! Was REALLY bad. I just played it through Microsoft Media player and despite it being low res player it played it ok. Phew!

Last edited:
A bit more setup.

Lessons learned from good old Youtube and my previous Phantom

1. I have reset the frame rate of the video. I tried 60 fps but that is obviously too high, I was under the impression higher the better......... Wrong. I got blurred bits on turns. 60 fps for slow mo? So now its back to 30 fps.
2. NTSC or Pal. I thought as I was in the UK I would obviously need PAL ........... wrong. Basically if flying outdoors use NTSC. Too complicated to go into why now.

Also set video to DLOG. A personal preference but it seems to give better video results. 3840 X 2160 size. MP4 format, again personal preference.

Security.

We all have near misses, no matter how good we are. With the exception of the tin hat and hi-vis jacket brigade of course. So rather than have a "I wish I had done that" situation I bought myself a labeling machine, cheaper than a new drone or battery. I have labeled each component e.g battery, RC, drone itself, with a label saying "REWARD! 01234567" obviously that's not my real phone number.

Also on the SD Card I wrote onto a txt file in notepad, most computers phones etc can read that format. This is what I put, changed the phone number of course. I named the file "REWARD DETAILS"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
" Reward.

Hi, if your reading this you have probably found my little machine. It does run away from home sometimes :)

It is 'paired' with a unique controller so it wont fly without it, so no doubt they are missing
each other already. No re-sale value.

If you would like to give me a call I will gladly come and get it from you

My number is 01235 123456 and my name is Frank.

I will be only too happy to compensate you for your time and trouble.

Thank you for your honesty!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time for some more flying I think this afternoon. :)

How to scare the **** out of yourself.

I was flying around quite happily. The drone quite some distance away. All of a sudden the screen goes black. Plenty of battery. ****** what do I do now? So I kept calm. Tried the 'RTH' button. Luckily it kicked in. As it flew, hopefully, back a message in a white box appeared on the screen. Something along the lines of "Your DJI GO App has stopped working" still nothing but a black screen. I tapped ok. It went back to a black screen. As the drone came within hearing the screen appeared again with the startup. I tapped 'Go Fly' and got connected again. Only to disappear a few seconds later. I went through the above again and it again came back on to full control. I managed to land. Thought Id call it a day.

So any ideas as to what happened? I have all the latest updates. Compass calibrated etc. Good thing I am not a newbie or I may have panicked.

Update. The fun continues.

Sorted out most of the problems above, screen going black etc. The advice from DJI is you should uninstall the GO app and re-install it. On a tablet or phone I have no problem with that on the Pro Plus though I do not quite know where to begin except of course I may connect the RC to the PC. However I will only do this if the problems continue.

I also had a problem the next day when the video would not start. At home I sorted that be re-setting everything and starting again. That worked photos and videos ok.

Next Problem. Would not exit Tap Fly (TF) mode. Would not exit on going from P to A on switch at rear. Would not exit when I tapped the STOP button. Eventually I got it back to me but would not dare loose the controls as it immediately wanted to fly over to a nearby housing estate! Even on landing it tried to fly off, at one point turning the drone into a strimmer, now have a green prop.

Sorted that the next day. I feel pretty sure this is not an official way to do it but hey it worked for me. To exit TF mode I tapped the stop button. It does not immediately respond takes anything from 6 to 10 seconds, a lifetime when your heading towards a tree. Eventually it turns from STOP to the TF icon. Tap that again you have to wait, but at least at this point the drone has actually stopped, it goes into the Mode screen. Then I tap the 'Normal' icon, the one with the RC icon. The drone is now back into 'Normal mode'.

I have previously done a Compass calibration. So I thought id do a IMU calibration. Worked my way through the settings and found IMU calibration. Simple I thought all I have to do is follow the graphics. Yea right. Got stuck on 4 would not progress. Got green flashing lights but would go no further on the diagram. Left it for 15 mins. Still there. Ended up shutting off the drone and the RC and trying again. 3 attempts later still sticks at 4. Wont bore you with 'how' just tell you what I did. The way to calibrate your IMU or the positions they want you to put the drone in.

Drone on its legs facing towards you on a flat level surface. No Props!
Start calibration.
Calibration starts then not long after you hear the beep the green lights flash. Then you put down on your left side. (diagram obvious)
Beep and green lights ........ Turn it on to its right side. (diagram obvious)
Beep and green lights ........ Put the front nose down (not obvious!)
Beep and green lights ........ Put the rear of drone down. (again not obvious)
Beep and green lights ........ Lay drone on its back. (obvious diagram)

Seconds later job done. However I feel you should restart your drone and RC to finialise the job.

Franks Tip for newbies. Red circle = Video. White circle means camera. Little circular Icon above green/white icon changes between the modes. Tap relevant circle to either start video recording or take photo. (ok its obvious to you guys but not so obvious to new flyers)

Hope this post helps someone.

Last edited:
Whats all this about RAW and JPG??

I have been a keen photographer all my life, in the amateur sense. More of an eye for a good photo than truly technically proficient. I keep seeing the comments about shooting in 'Raw' being a good option. Always understood what it means i.e just taking the basic photo and not letting the camera make after shooting adjustments (I feel sure someone will pop in and clarify if I have that wrong) But as I have always been happy with the results of my photos and the my manipulation of the photos afterwards I have never been too concerned with it.

Today I popped the drone up on a table and 'fiddled' with the camera settings. Just out of curiosity I took a photo in JPG format like always then I took a photo in RAW. Once inside I put both the photos up on the computer. Using Paintshop Pro I then manipulated the RAW photo and let the Paintshop Pro software auto adjust the JPG.

I was a little amazed at the difference. The light was not too good this morning.

This is after my manipulation with RAW, obviously below.

So we now both know what they are on about when shooting RAW

Good isn't it?

Last edited:
Hidden Mode?

I surprised myself today. Whilst on the normal screen I suddenly found myself looking at a full screen on the remote controller with NOTHING else on it but what the camera sees. No map, no touch controls just a full screen version of what the actual camera sees.

After fiddling with the screen I eventually got everything back and worked out what I had done. Give it a try. Drone on. RC on. When your in the screen where you would normally take off/fly etc put your finger on a the picture and quickly swipe down. Viola you have now a full camera view. To get everything back swipe again.

I dont know if this is just a P4P Plus thing but give it a go and let me know please.

I have found narrow sensing but I wonder if there are other things out there that are not so well known.

Last edited:
Its going back. Did a Tap Fly tonight and instead of avoiding the trees it seemed to alter course to head for them. The front sensors seem to be working ok as when the drone went into the tree branches it stopped and hovered. I was able to raise the drone out of the tree. Its a real pity the record button also did not work as it would have been good footage.

As a gardening tool it is great. I have used it, unintentionally, as a strimmer and a tree pruner.

So return requested and the next job is to pack it all back up to send back. Real shame. I was looking forward to this drone. :(

Its arrived!

It came this afternoon whilst I was out. Had it out of the box. Charged up. Updated the software and maps. Took it for a quick test fly tonight. What a different beast this one is! I press record and guess what? It records! I press tap fly and it tap flies. I press stop................. and it stops!

The only problem I seem to be having is that I kept it in Beginner Mode. The tutorial screen came up when I was in tripod mode and would not go away. Despite pressing hide, X etc. But now I have clicked on the 'Never show again' Icon box and come out of Beginner Mode it should not happen again.

It may be wishful thinking but the screen is far more responsive than the old one. I get the Icons that should have been there on the last one but were not e.g the speed control on the tap fly and a few others. But even the simple thing of having the stop button working and being able to go into different modes, and coming out of them, makes a big difference. The contrast between this drone and the previous is quite marked.

One question though............. On tap fly mode on the last drone I had the green chevrons that the drone flew along. This time they are are non present. Save me looking it up....... do you have to switch them on? Or is this a fault? Does not bother me as it does fly to the destination no problem, even in VERY strong winds like tonight. Hmmm just though... I never got the strong wind message. Again thats not a problem I rather not get the message than be plagued with them all the time.

Last thing the drone at one point instead of hovering started to drop towards the ground, luckily I caught it in time. I am hoping that a IMU calibration will sort that out.

That's all for now. Ohhhh nice video on this one, much better than the other. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94