Flying without a phone

All the cautions about flying without a phone have me confused. "You will not have flight data", "no battery info", etc. Yeah, that's obvious but those must be cautions from folks who have only flown the P3. Years of helos, fixed wing, quads and P1 under my belt - flying without a device aint no big thing if you can keep orientation, line of sight and remember batteries drain over time. Its all good.

B
+1

add a p2 or so in the mix.

los
15 minutes max
no speedy crazy flying

no problem with just RC

Too risky within line of sight? Shouldn't be a big deal.
You will be tempted to fly P3 a long distance and you might lose the sense of direction and also you might get on to low battery. This is not a craft that you fly in your courtyard and take it down based on your feel of battery level. You also get fun to analyze flying data which was not possible earlier. FPView is a great experience, that used to be a dream earlier.

Anyway choice is yours.

You will be tempted to fly P3 a long distance and you might lose the sense of direction and also you might get on to low battery. This is not a craft that you fly in your courtyard and take it down based on your feel of battery level. You also get fun to analyze flying data which was not possible earlier. FPView is a great experience, that used to be a dream earlier.

Anyway choice is yours.
I agree FPV is a feature that not only is fun but extends the usable range of any remote aircraft. Without FPV there would be no military drone or commercial drone industry. But for the sake of answering the question of the original post, flying without FPV is very easy to do as long as line of sight is maintained. I agree orientation can be an issue if it gets a little bit too far away.

Anyone with prior RC fixed wing or rotary wing success, will have no problem flying the P3 LOS without a tablet. Keep it close, mind the time of flight for battery purposes, and keep it away from obstacles.

SD

Every Phantom pilot should be prepared to do this, just like every owner of a boat with an outboard motor should be prepared to paddle home if the motor dies. I spent my first year with a P2 - no mobile device, no FPV - and I made some very good video that way. Try it for a 5-minute flight once in a while... it'll make you a better pilot.

Reactions: Gary E
i mean what happens if my phone dies all of a sudden ?

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk
Always learn to fly. i have been playing with these things for years before Phantom. If you can't fly you can't perform the simple craft saving operations near ground or objects. I use various software. But I never go out without using my own flying skill for part of the day. For instance some guy walking up and starting a conversation about what you are doing and wanting to play with the little levers. I suggest getting a nano or something and getting proficcent in your front room.

I notice in you pics you have what looks like rubber bands around your joy stick is this to give you a little more control and not be quite as loose on the movements.

Always learn to fly. i have been playing with these things for years before Phantom. If you can't fly you can't perform the simple craft saving operations near ground or objects. I use various software. But I never go out without using my own flying skill for part of the day. For instance some guy walking up and starting a conversation about what you are doing and wanting to play with the little levers. I suggest getting a nano or something and getting proficcent in your front room.
I fly phantom for 3 years , manual as well.
I asked if the quad knows to fly with no app?

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

With the P1 I always used to fly with home lock, which guarantees getting the quad back if a little far away and its orientation not visible. On the P1 the home lock was triggered with a manual switch, but on the P3P it is triggered in the DJI Go app (actually quite cumbersome - three clicks to go...). How does one triggers it on the P3P without a phone/tablet? Is there a way to trigger home lock mode with one of the bottom buttons on the RC? And, assuming that the P3P is in home lock mode - what happens if the tablet goes out - will it stay in home lock mode?

Reactions: koop
Just got my p3a and was in the same boat. My older iPad didn't work and my older smart phone didn't have current android. I was in Best Buy and picked up a Zte Malvern phone for $29. Connected it to the RC, turned on the wifi and Go app and everything worked! Small(5 in) screen, but really hard to beat for the price.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor