Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

That's the problem. No one ever answers the phone.
Edit also. No personnel on site either. It has a sign. Last out please lock gate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well, if they require an AMA card to fly there, but there's never anyone there attending the site, who do you give your card to?

AMA safety code is right here
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

The code is within 3 miles of airport, below 400 feet... apart from that there isn't a "rule" saying under 400. Now a field could set a arbitrary general rule set for under 400, but that's a blanket rule used for general purpose. Training a new pilot on a 40 - 60 size trainer plane you are gonna go up 400 or higher just for a good safe bailout if he freaks out on you (which is common)

I mean, most AMA guys flying at the field don't even know how high they are LOL and in most cases are well above 400 foot

AMA safety code is right here
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

The code is within 3 miles of airport, below 400 feet... apart from that there isn't a "rule" saying under 400. Now a field could set a arbitrary general rule set for under 400, but that's a blanket rule used for general purpose. Training a new pilot on a 40 - 60 size trainer plane you are gonna go up 400 or higher just for a good safe bailout if he freaks out on you (which is common)

I mean, most AMA guys flying at the field don't even know how high they are LOL and in most cases are well above 400 foot
Sure there isn't a line of sight rule? Seems like I read that.

Below 400', and line of sight, and farther than 3 mi from an airport, not within 3 mi. I suggest you go to the FAA website and read up on it. They don't say anything about arbitrary rules.

Below 400', and line of sight, and farther than 3 mi from an airport, not within 3 mi. I suggest you go to the FAA website and read up on it. They don't say anything about arbitrary rules.
It's actually does say within. I'm looking at it. Can't believe it
5e3f2cebff6034389064864f3fbc18a2.jpg

It's actually does say within. I'm looking at it. Can't believe it That's a copy of the AMA safety rules. I was referring to the FAA rules.
5e3f2cebff6034389064864f3fbc18a2.jpg

This website is screwed up, I was editing your post as far as I can tell. That's the AMA rules, I was referring to the FAA rules. A lot different, one charges you for membership, the other can put you in prison...LOL

The problem you have is when there are near misses and then the regulatory bodies are forced to take action.

Here is a report from yesterday: Drones involved in near misses at UK airports - BBC News
A 16 ft near miss with a 737 taking off at one of London's main airports, at 4,000 ft. And another near miss at 2,000 ft at Heathrow.

Whether or not these are brainless idiots or people with more sinister intentions, the bottom line is that these issues will force manufacturers to fit restrictions that can't be by-passed, like being unable to fly without GPS to enforce geo-fencing.

The liimt in the UK is 1,000 ft if you are flying with FPV and have an appointed companion that keeps track with you with unaided sight.
ORS4 No.1011: Small Unmanned Aircraft – First Person View (FPV) Flying
That's a great limit to have.
It would be a real shame if a minority ruined it for all, but with the FAA reporting over 650 near misses last year and the UK and European governments are making moves to make things harder....:
"
A spokeswoman for the DfT said: "Drones are becoming increasingly popular and have the potential to bring significant economic benefits, but it is vital that they are operated safely, in a way that does not put members of the public and other aircraft at risk.

"The government is leading efforts with international bodies to develop a stringent regulatory framework focusing on safety. There will be a public consultation before a government strategy is published in 2016."

Can technology keep our skies safe from nuisance drones? - BBC News
DJI are quoted here, but the story also points out how GPS can be bypassed. This surely makes it an area that will be targeted by any new regulations....

Cheers,
Ian in Essex...

This website is screwed up, I was editing your post as far as I can tell. That's the AMA rules, I was referring to the FAA rules. A lot different, one charges you for membership, the other can put you in prison...LOL
No one is "going to prison" for flying above 400' at an AMA field. FAA's guideline is just that, and intended for education for the new pilots entering the hobby and not flying at an AMA field.

SD

No one is "going to prison" for flying above 400' at an AMA field. FAA's guideline is just thterat, and intended for education for the new pilots entering the hobby and not flying at an AMA field.
SD
No one has gone to prison YET. I would venture to say, that with all the talk about distance mods, and payload drop mods, its only a matter of time. Every day it seems there's a new story on the drone that got close to an airliner, or the drone that can carry a machine gun. You can go on believing the government Is benevolent and there to protect us. I am of a different opinion. The AMA fields hold no terrific scenery that I just have to film, and quite honestly, why would you want to clump a bunch of guys together that are all flying drones or planes? I have only seen 1 rc field in my life, years ago in Missouri. I watched all the guys fly their planes, and thought I didn't want to be a part of that. If I did, I would have gotten a real pilots license and went to a real airport, not a couple of acres in a cornfield.

Well here in Tampa we have at least 15-20 fields. With beautiful scenery. It's a ymmv. No need to worry about something that is not law. Yet!!! Enjoy for what it is right now. If the laws change. I will for sure obey. But I'm not gonna concern myself for what they may change. If they do. It is what it is. In the mean time I'm gonna enjoy the hobby and let others who are afraid leave space for the rest of us.

Well here in Tampa we have at least 15-20 fields. With beautiful scenery. It's a ymmv. No need to worry about something that is not law. Yet!!! Enjoy for what it is right now. If the laws change. I will for sure obey. But I'm not gonna concern myself for what they may change. If they do. It is what it is. In the mean time I'm gonna enjoy the hobby and let others who are afraid leave space for the rest of us. Space at the rc field? You got it. I'll take the beach, or the lake, or the mountains.

Well not as much space as the beach. But for some reason here at our beaches. Tourist seem to think we are trying to watch them. Unless I head out to sea. But at least I can hone my skills at the ex fields. Most allow 3 visits without membership dues as long as you have AMA card.

I was curious to see what my $500 bought me, I was able to go over 1000 ft with my stock phantom 3 standard. I won't do it again, bring on the hate, it was deadly quiet and I took a pic and brought it right down, sorry.
1da5aadcfe483861b7c9cbdcf243a81f.jpg

I was curious to see what my $500 bought me, I was able to go over 1000 ft with my stock phantom 3 standard. I won't do it again, bring on the hate, it was deadly quiet and I took a pic and brought it right down, sorry.

1000 feet in distance or altitude? Either way. Well worth the 500 for sure.

No one will hate you. We just don't want to see the hobby banned that is all. Looks like you were in the city too. Wow. You have bigger bazookas then I do for sure.

1000 ft in altitude, I mainly fly overhead. Distance works my nerves, maybe if I get out to the country I'll test distance.

I was curious to see what my $500 bought me, I was able to go over 1000 ft with my stock phantom 3 standard. I won't do it again, bring on the hate, it was deadly quiet and I took a pic and brought it right down, sorry. Nice shot. The earth looks so strange from up high.

What city is that? Not that it matters, they all look alike when your coming in on an airline, or flying a drone. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews