Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

It's a lot harder to shoot a drone down at 1600 ft. than it is at 400ft! ;) J/K, I usually stay at 400' max...but long range flights could definitely benefit from 600-800' ceilings (tried once or twice very near me with no planes in sight or sound), just too dangerous with those little planes flying around at long range.

One of these days a little prop plane will hit a drone at 399 feet because I see them flying fairly low all the time over our subdivision-THAT will be interesting (and dangerous).

Sorry, I belong to the AMA. I fly at AMA fields (two at airports), and we can and do fly above 400', all the time. Not trying to derail any "fight".

SD
Kidding aside...

Coming from the AMA as I'm a long time AMA member, the safety rule has always been within 3 miles of an airport stay under 400 feet. Apart from that, the guideline was, if you plan a flight above 400, you needed a spotter, which isn't a problem and at a flying field that is a very open field, you can see any low flying manned aircraft coming from 5 - 10 miles away. So going above 400 isn't an issue at all, even over 1000 foot... Many jet RC planes hit 1000 foot in seconds flying at 150-250mph. Even a 40 size trainer flying 60mph, hits 500 feet rather quickly.

In fact, flying at or above 400 feet is quite the standard at air fields when training a new rc plane pilot, it's standard procedure to take the plane up and let them learn way up, and should something go wrong, you have time to recover, it's actually a safety rule for first time fliers at many fields.

So going over 400 feet isn't unusual, but this is done at flying sites, air controllers know about them and you will have a few spotters around, not a big deal.

What the FAA is/was worried about was a bunch of new pilots who have _never_ flown before taking their aircraft up high even in neighborhoods near airports. Where I live when the wind is out of the south the airplanes fly right over head at about 1000 feet, even know I'm over 5 miles away from the airport. If some new guy started flying here without knowing rules, guidelines, general common sense, etc that could be a danger, plus in a neighborhood you have trees, houses normally that are blocking the view long range so you only see things dang near right over you. In this case common sense would say keep it lower. But these new guys have no idea, they didn't come up at the AMA fields, never touched sticks before apart from some $20 indoor flight "maybe".

But there is no reason to flip out on someone who flew over 400 foot. It's not illegal, stupid if your within miles of an airport, perhaps illegal close to an airport, but if your 5 or so miles away there is nothing wrong with it, granted if there is an airport with a tower even 7 miles away, you should give them a call and see if conditions are safe to fly, just tell them, "Hey I plan to fly a "UAS" at 500 feet and lower, everything ok with this?" And they will tell you yes or no, or give you a set alt. I've even heard things like "No issues, sky is yours to 2500" 9 out of 10 times, even if your within 5 miles, they will clear you to 500 foot, just depends on weather conditions and how they are running things for that day. We've even called them at the field... Those guys are professional and most times very accommodating.

I've also heard in the coming weeks, the FAA is changing their website to be more in line with the AMA safety rule set, which allows for flights over 400 feet.

So that's the reality of the matter, people have been flying over 400 feet for a long long time. No reason to get ugly about it, nothing wrong with it if done properly. The FAA is just trying to get some common sense into folks who are just "starting" out. They have admitted this many times. FYI, the FAA does _not_ have the authority right now to make "new" rules on hobby model aircraft, and I don't see that changing any time soon. The registration part isn't a new rule, but the expanding of registration to include all aircraft. It's kind of a mess right now, but the new rule set is coming and I think they will do a good job on it.

Thank you GodFear17, that was very informative! I'll have to hash some of this out with my pilot friends too to see what they think about all this stuff. Apparently 333 licensing requires a pilot license of some sort as well-which is probably why there have only been 3,000 or so 333's out of over 300,000 registered drone users. A LOT of those are companies registering as well-not just individuals (although I imagine you'd need to be certified to pilot for a 333 exempt company).

upload_2016-1-28_14-15-9.png

Thank you GodFear17, that was very informative! I'll have to hash some of this out with my pilot friends too to see what they think about all this stuff. Apparently 333 licensing requires a pilot license of some sort as well-which is probably why there have only been 3,000 or so 333's out of over 300,000 registered drone users.

View attachment 42084

I just submitted my section 333 a month or so ago and I am requesting relief of the pilot license requirement, we'll see how that goes.

FYI, I've had my phantom 3 standard to 1,026 feet is my highest alt, done on a calm day and had two spotters with me who are also pilots. (by pilots i mean licensed full scale) about half the time I fly I'm between 300 - 600 feet. My bird is still bone stock no mods. Heck my return to home alt is set at 61 meters (200 feet).

I have had mine up to 370 feet, it is so small that I cannot imagine I'd ever be comfortable going higher than that-and the fact of the matter is, I am aware that flight records are recorded on my Phantom, and I do not want to ever be an issue or cause for complaint by anyone. This is a great hobby and I plan on getting very good with this (photographer and videographer for 30 years) so I plan on doing this the right way.

I saw the video of the guy in Turkey who flew his over 4000 feet, that in itself is amazing but mine does not have to do that to impress me-I'm already impressed with this machine.

After I got this for Christmas, I flew it a few times and I'm crawling all the forums reading all I can. I went out and bought a Hubsan X4 107C and a Holy Stone F181 to practice around the house and backyard, and I fly everyday so flying the Phantom is cake with the GPS, compass and FPV features. I have LOTS of batteries for the Husban and 5 for the Holy Stone, and two for the Phantom so I can easily fly 4 hours total without charging any of them, It is an addictive hobby, and I really enjoy this,

I just ask others who have drones that are over a half pound to please NOT screw this up for all of us-we are at the forefront of a new technolodgy and it is important to not give people who know nothing about this the rational to legislate it into oblivion.

Last edited:
I have had mine up to 370 feet, it is so small that I cannot imagine I'd ever be comfortable going higher than that-and the fact of the matter is, I am aware that flight records are recorded on my Phantom, and I do not want to ever be an issue or cause for complaint by anyone. This is a great hobby and I plan on getting very good with this (photographer and videographer for 30 years) so I plan on doing this the right way.

I saw the video of the guy in Turkey who flew his over 2000 feet, that in itself is amazing but mine does not have to do that to impress me-I'm already impressed with this machine.

After I got this for Christmas, I flew it a few times and I'm crawling all the forums reading all I can. I went out and bought a Hubsan X4 107C and a Holy Stone F181 to practice around the house and backyard, and I fly everyday so flying the Phantom is cake with the GPS, compass and FPV features. I have LOTS of batteries for the Husban and 5 for the Holy Stone, and two for the Phantom so I can easily fly 4 hours total without charging any of them, It is an addictive hobby, and I really enjoy this,

I just ask others who have drones that are over a half pound to please NOT screw this up for all of us-we are at the forefront of a new technolodgy and it is important to not give people who know nothing about this the rational to legislate it into oblivion.
A great toy drone to practice with that is similar to the Phantom is the Syma X5SW or any of those Syma ones. They are cheap, durable as hell but you have to bank them in a strong wind. Wise idea on not wanting to push your bird for no reason.

I just submitted my section 333 a month or so ago and I am requesting relief of the pilot license requirement
Unfortunately, this request will not be granted. All approved 333 exemptions contain this requirement.

A great toy drone to practice with that is similar to the Phantom is the Syma X5SW or any of those Syma ones. They are cheap, durable as hell but you have to bank them in a strong wind. Wise idea on not wanting to push your bird for no reason.

Agreed. My first was the Syma X8C. Crashed hard once or twice, only broke the prop gaurd. Had it for 2-3 weeks then bought my P3S. People told me practice with Cheap drones first...it was about 129.99 at the time, had FPV but would quickly start lagging heavy about 80-100 ft out. First time flying P3S CAKE WALK! It Felt like my Syma had training wheels! I have about 200+ logged flights and have not crashed once.

P.s. I took my P3S 1150ft (with spotters) just to be in the clouds for a few sec and came down. Practical? Egh, but very cool tho

Reactions: Jussaguy
Sorry, I belong to the AMA. I fly at AMA fields (two at airports), and we can and do fly above 400', all the time. Not trying to derail any "fight".

SD
Wow. Every Ama field I have checked always say fly below 400. Not sure which field you are at. All about safety.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

FYI, I've had my phantom 3 standard to 1,026 feet is my highest alt, done on a calm day and had two spotters with me who are also pilots. (by pilots i mean licensed full scale) about half the time I fly I'm between 300 - 600 feet. My bird is still bone stock no mods. Heck my return to home alt is set at 61 meters (200 feet).
Wow. Also hardcore. Not sure I have the guts to go that high in the USA. I will for sure when I leave the country on vacation. Knowing where there is very light air traffic.

Ok. Maybe it's the fields I'm visiting that is saying that. For sure not 3 miles to airport. However I also noticed so places have clubs and people paying yearly dues. Not sure what to think of this. There is a field saying open to public but wants AMA card. Which I have. The have a helipad abs runway. Not sure if I'm really allowed there since I don't pay club dues. The field is AMA site 1070

That's the problem. No one ever answers the phone.
Edit also. No personnel on site either. It has a sign. Last out please lock gate.

Wow. Every Ama field I have checked always say fly below 400. Not sure which field you are at. All about safety.

Tony, I was somewhat vague with my response. I have been defending/disputing the FAA's 400' limit since their guidelines were released in December. As @GodFear17 stated above, we ALWAYS fly with a spotter, no question. It's a field rule at each site. There is also an on site Safety Officer, along with an Air Boss for the larger events. Also, my sUAS is a 35% Extra 260 with 106' wingspan, but we're all classified the same now.

Here are the AMA fields I fly at.

SD

Welcome to The Midstate Modelers

Syracuse Thunderbirds Aero Radio Society

ARCS News (Aero Radio Club of Syracuse)

Home : Triple Tree Aerodrome

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. So if I do decide to go higher than 400. Best to have a spotter in that case. I will comply with that. Now I need to search for fields in Florida that will let me fly that high. Of course I could also go over the ocean. Gulf of Mexico.

Is the 400 feet to be compliance with FAA recommendation? If not, why not 450 feet? or 350 feet?

If the goal of staying below 400 feet is to "fly safe", then perhaps we all should follow this FAA recommendation as well and this one actually makes much more sense. What are your thoughts on this recommendation? Or we pick and choose what we want to follow?

View attachment 41002
FAA not withstanding, below 400' and in sight of the operator seem reasonable to me. I know some on here will disagree. A common thread is "how far away can I fly". No one has really said anything about it, but most of us registered to comply with The FAA, and still talk about flying 4, 6 miles away. If you have Lightbridge or some mod that allows you that kind of distance, whatdya think is going to be the outcome if you crash that far from home? I prefer to at least act like I'm complying to the rules. And I didn't say laws, I said rules.

FAA not withstanding, below 400' and in sight of the operator seem reasonable to me. I know some on here will disagree. A common thread is "how far away can I fly". No one has really said anything about it, but most of us registered to comply with The FAA, and still talk about flying 4, 6 miles away. If you have Lightbridge or some mod that allows you that kind of distance, whatdya think is going to be the outcome if you crash that far from home? I prefer to at least act like I'm complying to the rules. And I didn't say laws, I said rules.
Yup, hard to reconcile that with the FAA guidelines. Maybe FAA should require DJI and others to just cripple all the birds immediately with firmware so they can't fly further than 500 feet from Home point?

I say that tongue in cheek, but the reason they even developed Lightbridge was for increased OUT OF SIGHT FPV ONLY range.

Yup, hard to reconcile that with the FAA guidelines. Maybe FAA should require DJI and others to just cripple all the birds immediately with firmware so they can't fly further than 500 feet from Home point?

I say that tongue in cheek, but the reason they even developed Lightbridge was for increased OUT OF SIGHT FPV ONLY range.
Now you have a good idea why I'm not updating. My firmware works, I don't need anybody, the FAA, or DJI jackin with my drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20