Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

Remain below any surrounding obstacles? That sounds like a bad idea. For most people, it's safer to fly above all surrounding obstacles.
Per FAA guidelines. I just wanted to know if people are pick and choosing what they want to follow from FAA or everything, especially from the can't believe vyou fly above 400 feet crowd.

Didn't make it up and i reference my source.

Perhaps someone copied the guidelines incorrectly when they built that site. On the official FAA site, the guidelines read as follows:

"Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles"

There is a very old pilots saying that if you crash to destroy the radio, because you know it won't work when you really need it - so at least you'll know why, and to burn the log books!

I chuckled at the wording of this. Lol.

There is something that gives you a tingle when you hear "maximum altitude reached" knowing you adjusted your max alt over 400ft. Sometimes I look around to see if the FAA is watching...

Disclaimer: I never flew over 400ft...

Did you read the manual?

I was showing some friends the altitude my P3S can go and I was explaining the 400ft Limit that was put on the Drones to Restrict flying over 400ft. So I took it straight up to show them and as I was explaining the picture went out and I kept climbing.....and climbing....and climbing....and did climbing, So I stopped and I said "That looks like that's higher then 400ft" they all laughed and said Hell yeah it is! So....
A few days ago I was flying back from a Distance test (Hence the Battery Life) and for S***'s and giggles I sent my P3S up and wanted to see my Max altitude (I was already 330ft at the time) and I was able to go well above 400ft no problem but did not want FAA to show up in a Blackhawk Helicopter, swoop in Army Ranger style, Disable my Drone Via Laptop and arrest me.
And plus I forsure had NO Battery to return!

Was this a glitch? Can Anyone else fly above 400ft?

What worries me. More than anything. Low flying private planes. A portion of them could be law enforcement. They fly between 300 and 1000 feet. Their paths are totally unpredictable.

Those planes are the most likely to have a serious problem during a collision as well.

Use your ears. These things make lots of noise if you pay attention. They fly so low seeing them coming from far off is next to impossible with any tree line.

If you do fly high pay attention to the wind. 5 mph on the ground and it could be 45 at 300 feet.

As far as getting up over 400". It's all fun until something goes wrong. I've said so before. You don't wanna be that guy.

Really though........who needs or wants to go over 400' unless it is to stroke their ego."F'n" stupid!We are playing with toys here folks that capture incredible video.Do not be an asshat and ruin our hobby.

Reactions: mtnmaddman
My house is at 1050', Just now using google maps the top of the hill East of my house .5 miles away and it is 1800' minus the trees. I would assume those trees are about 100' to 150' same as around my house. One of these days I am going to give it a try. So if a set my limit at 1100' and make sure I am about 1050' when I get to the top to clear the trees. I would need of coarse a super calm day and somebody watching the numbers including speed since the wind usually blows West to East. Maybe the first attempt another person watching with binoculars just to keep out of trouble.
:eek:

Really though........who needs or wants to go over 400' unless it is to stroke their ego."F'n" stupid!We are playing with toys here folks that capture incredible video.Do not be an asshat and ruin our hobby.

There is no law or regulation against flying over 400'. I'm not condoning it, just pointing this out. It's a recommendation from the FAA to fly below this altitude and a good rule of thumb.

As far as the need, there are times when that altitude is needed to get a photo. Of course, it's never required that a person needs to obtain a photo. The following shot is an example though. I'm pretty sure I needed to get up to 1000' to get this photo. I've only ever flown this high that one time. I've flown up to 500' about 10 times and 99% of the time I'm at 300'.

corn.JPG

Reactions: GodFear17
There is no law or regulation against flying over 400'. I'm not condoning it, just pointing this out. It's a recommendation from the FAA to fly below this altitude and a good rule of thumb.

As far as the need, there are times when that altitude is needed to get a photo. Of course, it's never required that a person needs to obtain a photo. The following shot is an example though. I'm pretty sure I needed to get up to 1000' to get this photo. I've only ever flown this high that one time. I've flown up to 500' about 10 times and 99% of the time I'm at 300'.

View attachment 41203
Good point...breaking 400 feet is not breaking the "law" but they sure make you feel like it is.

Is the 400 feet to be compliance with FAA recommendation? If not, why not 450 feet? or 350 feet?

If the goal of staying below 400 feet is to "fly safe", then perhaps we all should follow this FAA recommendation as well and this one actually makes much more sense. What are your thoughts on this recommendation? Or we pick and choose what we want to follow?

View attachment 41002

The FAA defines "flying safe" below 400 ft. They offer only guidelines or suggestions on how to fly safe. Flying beyond 400 ft is challenging because you can't see or hear the drone very well. The idea is to fly safe and be able to see your drone at all times. You don't drive your car if you can't see where you are going!

Remain below any surrounding obstacles? That sounds like a bad idea. For most people, it's safer to fly above all surrounding obstacles.

I think I've had mine up to 200' a few times. It looks pretty blinkin' small at that altitude. I'm not sure I could see it at all at 400 feet up!

I'm not sure I could see it at all at 400 feet up!
Well, you should stop flying through forests of redwood trees. The obstacles are much lower in most other places ;)

I just had my first flight EVER... no problems... :). I kept it simple flew in an empty space, kept it pretty low to the ground too and in sight always.
I felt pretty confident though, I followed every step and read every doc possible.
I watch like 3 different firmware videos to ensure I was doing it right too. HAHA.

Cool beans. Getting higher up than is recommended, it's possible to run into other air traffic, such as fixed-wing craft and helicopters, although choppers can fly below that too. The FAA is trying to keep a buffer zone of 100' feet between our toys and real air traffic.

I fly missions where my copter is well above 400', even nearing the 500m (~1600') limit - and I never put the copter more than 100' AGL on those missions. I have always thought that there would NEVER be any fixed-wing craft or helicopters where I fly some of my missions. Yesterday (I was not flying), I watched as a F&G copter flew up and down several canyons where I fly missions - probably doing a game count - and it crossed UNDER a few paths where I fly. I will never say never again. I will be reassessing some recon missions where my copter goes BVR.

Reactions: snerd
So when I registered my drone with the FAA and promised to fly below 400ft to get by tag number isn't that some sort of binding agreement they could hold me to?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So when I registered my drone with the FAA and promised to fly below 400ft to get by tag number isn't that some sort of binding agreement they could hold me to?

"Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safey program."

Ahh, nice thanks for the fine print.

If we ALL don't fly responsibly, photograph responsibly Big Brother will tighten things up on us! Here in GA fighting HB 779 that would severely hamper where we could fly! The last thing we need if for some people getting caught not following the FAA guidelines to derail the fight!!!!!

Sorry, I belong to the AMA. I fly at AMA fields (two at airports), and we can and do fly above 400', all the time. Not trying to derail any "fight".

SD

Reactions: GodFear17

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj