Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

I took this pic from the maximum 500 metre height. That's 1,640 feet. Didn't fly around, just straight up from my property. I'm 50km to the nearest airport and surrounded by nothing but bush and farmers fields......................
I see this excuse all the time. I live in the middle of nowhere, basically. That doesn't mean that registered flight paths of manned aircraft aren't flying in that same airspace, just because "you don't see anything". Do you know about the air traffic near you? Have you consulted current flight plan maps near you? I'm going to guess not. And I'm also going to say again that you're doing the rest of us "legal" flyers no big favor by flying that high.

/flamesuit on

Don't know if this counts for figuring out flight plans but it might help.

www.flightradar24.com

I assume snerd you are talking about flight plans in general which would be based on recurring commercial flights, but any plane that has a Transponder will show up. I will have to ask my dad again.
He sent my some photos to day, "Just to let you know there is new snow on Mt Hood" I think he was over 400'

IMG_1843[1].JPG

Last edited:
I see this excuse all the time. I live in the middle of nowhere, basically. That doesn't mean that registered flight paths of manned aircraft aren't flying in that same airspace, just because "you don't see anything". Do you know about the air traffic near you? Have you consulted current flight plan maps near you? I'm going to guess not. And I'm also going to say again that you're doing the rest of us "legal" flyers no big favor by flying that high.

/flamesuit on
How high was he? If I see a piper, or worse a 747 at 1600'. with no airport around I would have to think something is terribly wrong, at least in the 747's case.

Don't know if this counts for figuring out flight plans but it might help.

www.flightradar24.com

I assume snerd you are talking about flight plans in general which would be based on recurring commercial flights, but any plane that has a Transponder will show up. I will have to ask my dad again.
He sent my some photos to day, "Just to let you know there is new snow on Mt Hood" I think he was over 400'

Yes, I'm talking about "any" overhead manned aircraft. You can't just simply say "I live in the boonies, I looked around and didn't see any planes". That's not gonna cut it if you hit a manned craft up at 1600 feet.

Well 50km out. No way would they be that low. He didn't say 5k ft. I do understand frustration. But the fact they these drones are capable means some people will take it to the limit. I for one will not be upset. No need to think its dooms day because one or even 10 people broke the 400ft recommendation. I repeat. Recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey that is kinda cool, I was having problems with links and picts. Check my last post I was trying to fix it while your replied.

Well 50km out. No way would they be that low. He didn't say 5k ft. I do understand frustration. But the fact they these drones are capable means some people will take it to the limit. I for one will not be upset. No need to think its dooms day because one or even 10 people broke the 400ft recommendation. I repeat. Recommendation.

You're reading too much into my post. I'm far from "upset". I'm simply trying to educate. But that is really frowned upon in this forum lately.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
You're reading too much into my post. I'm far from "upset". I'm simply trying to educate. But that is really frowned upon in this forum lately.
Got ya. Just seems like people get bent over this. We all like the hobby. But I know for sure when I leave the states in a couple months. I'm taking mine to the max. I will be in Asia. And from a 4K mount peak. I will launch. So I will be over 5k for sure. But with very little daily air traffic. I guess that is only way to break the 500m pre set limit. Is when ground level is already 5k feet.

Got ya. Just seems like people get bent over this. We all like the hobby. But I know for sure when I leave the states in a couple months. I'm taking mine to the max. I will be in Asia. And from a 4K mount peak. I will launch. So I will be over 5k for sure. But with very little daily air traffic. I guess that is only way to break the 500m pre set limit. Is when ground level is already 5k feet.

LOL! I'm tempted every time I fly to "let her rip!" Take it up as high as it can go. But I can't where I fly here, have a small commercial airport, a helipad, and worst of all, a military base that's Class G airspace and I need to ask their permission!

How are these going higher than 400'? I thought that was the limit on phantom 3 standard

How are these going higher than 400'? I thought that was the limit on phantom 3 standard

400 is factory setting. Just go in when connected to aircraft and Change the setting. It will warn you that dji is not responsible. And boom. It goes actually 1600 feet. Or above whatever your ground level is.

Mine won't let me type a number higher than 400',, unless I'm on the wrong screen

Mine won't let me type a number higher than 400',, unless I'm on the wrong screen

You have to be connect to save changes. It will once connected. Also you will get this warning.
086a5b3843aa9c80c3da4dc1c51dc333.jpg

cda619cbe71a3c54bb4871a703daec91.jpg

**** metric,, lol, I'll never get used to the metric system 500m = 1640' duh. I was typing in 1640m

/flamesuit on
I should point out I'm in Canada, the air traffic here is no where near as busy as in the US. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen aircraft overhead and in all cases they were many thousands of feet up and could only be seen because of their contrail. Also I wasn't flying around at 500m, just straight up, look around then back down.

I could clearly see the airspace around for miles and had I actually seen a plane flying low I would have had ample time to descend before it got anywhere close to it.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I should point out I'm in Canada, the air traffic here is no where near as busy as in the US. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen aircraft overhead and in all cases they were many thousands of feet up and could only be seen because of their contrail. Also I wasn't flying around at 500m, just straight up, look around then back down.

I could clearly see the airspace around for miles and had I actually seen a plane flying low I would have had ample time to descend before it got anywhere close to it.
I have no idea the recommendations and/or laws up there in Canada. I shouldn't have used your post as the example I was intending for us down here in the lower 48.

There are places where the FAA suggestion of 400 feet simply makes no sense. I sometimes fly in a field facing a small mountain (1000 feet). I can fly over the mountain at about 3000 feet distance, but only if I increase to about 1050 feet (otherwise I'm clipping treetops or crashing). There are only trees below me so the only danger is to my P3S. I have lost contact several times at 2000+ feet distance and have learned the problems associated with setting the RTH height too high or too low. Both can be bad in the mountains!

Really though........who needs or wants to go over 400' unless it is to stroke their ego."F'n" stupid!We are playing with toys here folks that capture incredible video.Do not be an asshat and ruin our hobby.
Ken you need to take a volume and relax model aircraft have been flying over 1500 ft for 80 years. No issue. But now your gonna complain about YOUR hobby?

Ken you need to take a volume and relax model aircraft have been flying over 1500 ft for 80 years. No issue. But now your gonna complain about YOUR hobby?
While I don't ever want to jeopardize the hobby. I do understand that in the USA. We have quadruple the aircraft flying than most places on earth. Hence when I can and will stay below 400ft. If I do go above. I will try and have a spotter as suggested by the AMA. But out of the country. All bets will be off for sure. Not only am I taking it higher than 400. But I will actively seek out places that I can.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj