Flying over 400ft Altitude with my P3S? o.O

Reaction score
I was showing some friends the altitude my P3S can go and I was explaining the 400ft Limit that was put on the Drones to Restrict flying over 400ft. So I took it straight up to show them and as I was explaining the picture went out and I kept climbing.....and climbing....and climbing....and did climbing, So I stopped and I said "That looks like that's higher then 400ft" they all laughed and said Hell yeah it is! So....
A few days ago I was flying back from a Distance test (Hence the Battery Life) and for S***'s and giggles I sent my P3S up and wanted to see my Max altitude (I was already 330ft at the time) and I was able to go well above 400ft no problem but did not want FAA to show up in a Blackhawk Helicopter, swoop in Army Ranger style, Disable my Drone Via Laptop and arrest me.
And plus I forsure had NO Battery to return!

Was this a glitch? Can Anyone else fly above 400ft?

Attachments

• 1453067456881.jpg
    1453067456881.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:
Reactions: GodFear17
Phantom has no restrictions at 400 ft. The hard FW limit is 500 meter or 1640 feet. You can artificially set that height limit to 400 feet or 122 meter if you wish.

Well I remember when I first attempted this my Drone would not go above 400ft, it said "Maximum Altitude Reached" when trying this

400' is the FAA recommended max altitude. In the app, however, you can set the altitude limit up to 500m which works out to 1640'. Check your app altitude & set it to 120m if you want to limit yourself to 400'.

400 feet is the maximum altitude out of the box -- until you set it higher in the DJI GO app.

d542360dcc0cbfcb1e02ede46b8e67e4.jpg

This is what you get if you try to put in more than 400'.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea I got it. I don't (or need to) fly that high anyway. Thanks though
Cool beans. Getting higher up than is recommended, it's possible to run into other air traffic, such as fixed-wing craft and helicopters, although choppers can fly below that too. The FAA is trying to keep a buffer zone of 100' feet between our toys and real air traffic.

There is something that gives you a tingle when you hear "maximum altitude reached" knowing you adjusted your max alt over 400ft. Sometimes I look around to see if the FAA is watching...

Disclaimer: I never flew over 400ft...

Reactions: nattieman
There is something that gives you a tingle when you hear "maximum altitude reached" knowing you adjusted your max alt over 400ft. Sometimes I look around to see if the FAA is watching...

Disclaimer: I never flew over 400ft...
I agree lol, I looked all around for aircraft before flying irregardless. I know I'd be Scared as hell on a commercial flight and while landing or taking off seeing a drone Wizz past the wing outside the window... you know what birds can do to a Turbine engine, imagine a drone going into a jet engine! :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Reactions: GodFear17
I agree lol, I looked all around for aircraft before flying irregardless. I know I'd be Scared as hell on a commercial flight and while landing or taking off seeing a drone Wizz past the wing outside the window... you know what birds can do to a Turbine engine, imagine a drone going into a jet engine! :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Yea no doubt...

Not that I would but is there any way for the FAA of knowing you went over 400'?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not that I would but is there any way for the FAA of knowing you went over 400'?
The logs stored internally on your Phantom could prove that.

Really though........who needs or wants to go over 400' unless it is to stroke their ego."F'n" stupid!We are playing with toys here folks that capture incredible video.Do not be an asshat and ruin our hobby.

While I'd love to max it out, 400' is pretty high. For kicks, I changed the limit and went to 450'. It all looked the same, so quickly came back down and set it back to 400'. W-A-Y below where I'd need to be to see the curve of the Earth, so short of being annoying, couldn't think of any reason to stay up there.

Really though........who needs or wants to go over 400' unless it is to stroke their ego."F'n" stupid!We are playing with toys here folks that capture incredible video.Do not be an asshat and ruin our hobby.

Is the 400 feet to be compliance with FAA recommendation? If not, why not 450 feet? or 350 feet?

If the goal of staying below 400 feet is to "fly safe", then perhaps we all should follow this FAA recommendation as well and this one actually makes much more sense. What are your thoughts on this recommendation? Or we pick and choose what we want to follow?

FAA.jpg

Remain below any surrounding obstacles? That sounds like a bad idea. For most people, it's safer to fly above all surrounding obstacles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers