flying into steam/smoke coming out of a smokestack

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be NO bashing of fellow members on this forum. If you feel there's a problem with another member, please report it to the moderators. In the meantime, let's stop this nonsense...

-slinger

There we go!

Now that the internet has been corrected.. let the sheep get their facts straight before breeding false information further on the internet!!!

Thanks for posting that, Raceman. Nothing like correcting the herd and putting them back on the right path of information!

..sorry - huge pet peeve of mine is when users say "it's illegal, it's this, it's that - blah blah blah don't do it!" and don't provide the facts to back it up. Until valid documentation is presented I consider their points boring and just further breed stupidity across the internet.. because you know -if it's on the internet it has to be true lol
So you should enjoy this bit of news -

Arkansas won't allow remote-controlled aircraft to photograph critical buildings such as power plants and oil refineries.
SOURCE: State drone laws could clash with federal drone policy

And where there may not be laws yet, you can bet if the "I don't give a crap" attitude continues we will surely see them. Have a look at this recent distribution (May 2016), from Homeland Security. (PS - I have confirmed, they (HS), do frequent this forum). So keep on keeping on and soon you will have new laws restricting even more freedoms for UAV's.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 7.50.36 PM✨.png

Reactions: dirkclod
Got it, how about posting blatantly illegal activity bordering on pure dumbassery? Perfectly acceptable?

Got it, how about posting blatantly illegal activity bordering on pure dumbassery? Perfectly acceptable?

No... It's not. How I handle that part of the issue is none of your business, but your bringing it up in an open forum is very much appreciated...

-slinger

Can we please listen to Slingers warning and knock off the belittling of other members. If anything explain why it may not be a good idea to do something rather than just spewing insults and maybe there will be something learned from the message.

So keep it on topic and informational and not confrontational. Since there have been several post from staff in this thread to behave, the next person who goes off topic, insults other members or any other policy violations, you can expect a warning from staff.

So you should enjoy this bit of news -

Arkansas won't allow remote-controlled aircraft to photograph critical buildings such as power plants and oil refineries.
SOURCE: State drone laws could clash with federal drone policy

And where there may not be laws yet, you can bet if the "I don't give a crap" attitude continues we will surely see them. Have a look at this recent distribution (May 2016), from Homeland Security. (PS - I have confirmed, they (HS), do frequent this forum). So keep on keeping on and soon you will have new laws restricting even more freedoms for UAV's.

View attachment 56848

Oh I bet laws will eventually catch up with the hobby as technology allows. Sadly laws are created most likely because someone flew somewhere and had a malfunction causing property or personal harm. Or the sheep saw a drone and pissed their pants in fear and reported the issue - all adding to the statistics.

As I do - Fly with caution!! Use common sense.

that height limit is so you don't hit planes. well, planes aren't gonna be flyin that low cause there's a smoke stack there. that's just common sense.

first, my drone isn't registered so i would've just left it there and took off. but believe it or not i was being real safe, keeping high and all. only thing could've gone wrong would've been dji's fault.

On the first point - I agree with you. I only see the 400' limit as a base for regulation. It's not practical and in typical style the wording is vague.

Sure, don't fly at 1500' in the middle of a huge field with nothing near by. But flying 900' up about 500' away from a broadcast tower.. that imaginary airplane will have a LOT more to worry about hitting (guy wires) than a small spec of drone flying next to said tower.

On your second point.. If you have flown your drone - a little investigation and you can be found. You must not know that the bird records all flight records on board of the drone so if it's retrieved and the internal microsd card is there/undamaged - nearly anyone can search those files and trace your steps. Most people have flown at their home. So hey.. there ya go ;)

But also you need to man up and own up to your mistakes. Walking away is pathetic and childish. Own your faults and mistakes. Don't run away from them.

hey i'm not trying to break any law. i asked before i flew and nobody seemed to have any problem with it. then after i flew everybody wants to blow up, even though that guy pointed out where it's not against the law - your just supposed to try to avoid, so why you keep saying it's illegal??? not trying to be rude, but i get tired of all the people complaining cuz a rule MIGHT get made because of it. if what i'm doing is that dangerous, then there should be a law against it, right?

hey i'm not trying to break any law. i asked before i flew and nobody seemed to have any problem with it. then after i flew everybody wants to blow up, even though that guy pointed out where it's not against the law - your just supposed to try to avoid, so why you keep saying it's illegal??? not trying to be rude, but i get tired of all the people complaining cuz a rule MIGHT get made because of it. if what i'm doing is that dangerous, then there should be a law against it, right?
There is no law stopping you from doing lots of dangerous things... that doesn't mean you should do them. You have to weigh out the consequences of your actions and find a middle ground. We need to drop the "I will because I can" attitude. The more people who act that way, the faster you will see new laws. The responsible thing is to use your head and ask yourself if it seems like a good idea. Flying your drone into critical infrastructure areas is just plain irresponsible.

Who keeps saying it's illegal? Those sheep have been corrected and I don't think you'll hear from them for awhile.

You also shouldn't let the internet get to you. Who cares if they complain. That's their problem - not yours! Do what you do! Sure, your actions MAY cause a headache for others now and then but hey - we all live on this planet together. Not everyone will agree or side with you. And there will always be that guy who gets so upset over other peoples actions. You will never avoid that.

There is no law stopping you from doing lots of dangerous things... that doesn't mean you should do them. You have to weigh out the consequences of your actions and find a middle ground. We need to drop the "I will because I can" attitude. The more people who act that way, the faster you will see new laws. The responsible thing is to use your head and ask yourself if it seems like a good idea. Flying your drone into critical infrastructure areas is just plain irresponsible.

No it's not. That's just a lame excuse to push that sides point of view.

You must have never seen a substation. Next to a roadway. With a chainlink fence (which keeps cars out, FYI. You probably didn't know that).

You must have never seen a substation. Next to a roadway. With a chainlink fence (which keeps cars out, FYI. You probably didn't know that).
Refer to post #42. You seem like an educated guy, can't you see why and whats coming down the pipe?
(I always wondered why they put fences around them:rolleyes: :D)

Corey, I retired after 32 years at power plants. Most of it in gas turbines rather than steam plants. The steam plants, depending on the fuel (coal, oil, natural gas) can have fairly acidic stack gases. Personally, I would not put my drone close to that. And as @eaglegoal tender said, the stack temps are also pretty high along with a pretty substantial air flow caused by the natural draft of the stack and augmented by the forced draft fans of the boiler. In addition, power plants are considered "critical infrastructure" and as such, it is strongly "recommended" NOT to fly around/over them. You asked for info from someone who works/worked at power plants; here ya go.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like TJ said, need to be responsible. I don't want to see anything happen to anyone. I have the number for the FAA official if anyone would like to call and ask him directly. He can set us all straight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Who keeps saying it's illegal? Those sheep have been corrected and I don't think you'll hear from them for awhile.

You also shouldn't let the internet get to you. Who cares if they complain. That's their problem - not yours! Do what you do! Sure, your actions MAY cause a headache for others now and then but hey - we all live on this planet together. Not everyone will agree or side with you. And there will always be that guy who gets so upset over other peoples actions. You will never avoid that.
The only thing worse then doing something foolish is another encouraging someone to do something foolish.
On the other hand you do what you want Corey... With any luck you will destroy every Phantom you have, then you can go back to playing with matches like other children.
Most people on this form with common sense have advised you against doing things like dropping knives, following air planes, and flying over steam stacks. But you are going to do what you want to do. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Reactions: mikesmiley
Refer to post #42. You seem like an educated guy, can't you see why and whats coming down the pipe?
(I always wondered why they put fences around them:rolleyes: :D)

Oh I know what's coming down the pipe. It sucks. Just gotta deal with it and as I say - Fly with caution!

Yes, it is. Critical infrastructure (power plants are part of that), are under closer watch and in this day of ISIS on our doorsteps, this stuff is getting watched closer. Folks will get caught, and I can tell ya for sure you are not going to want to be on the receiving end of the investigation. This is a whole order of magnitude different that flying higher than your supposed to or other minor infractions. Even though you may have no bad intentions, if DHS thinks for one second that you are possibly a terrorist threat, they will destroy your life. Plain and simple. Call me an alarmist, but that is one case of mistaken identity that you do not want be involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31