flying into steam/smoke coming out of a smokestack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say go for it!

I'm thinking next time around because of how cheap the P3A is to obtain now - resale value isn't very much so.... when I upgrade to the P4 or even P5? I'll keep my P3A for those more "risky" flights where the loss of a bird wouldn't be the new fun toy!

FAA dude last week at a conference I was at said that was a big no no. Said aren't allowed by power plants and stadiums. If you do want to, you have to get permission from FAA and owner.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: pomonabill220
dirk sent me a video earlier where he did this and told me it was ok. i didn't know there was any laws against that. i didn't see your comment until after i had flown this.

it didn't go quite as well as i wanted anyway. I couldn't get as close as i thought so was about 2 miles away and took a while to get there. when i got above the smoke stacks, i started losing signal pretty bad. i was basically flying blind, only getting little snapshots of where i was.

the biggest stack was over 1000 feet, but as soon as i started going above that one, it got low on battery and started coming back home.

anyway, here's a little bit of the flight. didn't do any damage to it, and luckily i was far enough away nobody stopped me.

While this is an interesting video and I loved the soaring bird at the beginning, this was wrong on so many levels. You know you shouldn't be up there. 400' AMSL is your ceiling. Not 1000'. That right there should have been sufficient to tell you the flight was a bad idea. Infrastructures like power plants, dams, and other federally restricted areas are a second no-no. Even if you didn't know that, the altitude you were flying should have made you re-think that flight. Third, flying blind. Seriously. Over a power plant? What were you thinking?

Can you imagine the media/public backlash the entire drone hobby would have been faced with had your bird struck the stack and came crashing down. We are not talking hitting a tree. We are talking about flying at an altitude more than 2x what you should have been at and over a federal infrastructure installation to boot. I can guarantee you would have been on the news and likely the front page any ANYTHING gone wrong. You got lucky you didn't have a mug shot taken that day.

This is serious man. This is right up there with buzzing an airport control tower. Please, for the community as a whole, don't do that again. Please.

Specifically, these are covered on page 10 and 11.

While this is an interesting video and I loved the soaring bird at the beginning, this was wrong on so many levels. You know you shouldn't be up there. 400' AMSL is your ceiling. Not 1000'. That right there should have been sufficient to tell you the flight was a bad idea. Infrastructures like power plants, dams, and other federally restricted areas are a second no-no. Even if you didn't know that, the altitude you were flying should have made you re-think that flight. Third, flying blind. Seriously. Over a power plant? What were you thinking?

Can you imagine the media/public backlash the entire drone hobby would have been faced with had your bird struck the stack and came crashing down. We are not talking hitting a tree. We are talking about flying at an altitude more than 2x what you should have been at and over a federal infrastructure installation to boot. I can guarantee you would have been on the news and likely the front page any ANYTHING gone wrong. You got lucky you didn't have a mug shot taken that day.

This is serious man. This is right up there with buzzing an airport control tower. Please, for the community as a whole, don't do that again. Please.

The FAA should do their part and make it more transparent of do's and don'ts. Instead they hide their nonsense in fine print in the closets of the internet. These days you need to be a lawyer to sift through all the BS tape just to get a vague idea of what is okay.

That said.. fly with caution :)

Specifically, these are covered on page 10 and 11.

1465760007924.jpg

It doesn't say not to fly there.... It saying it is strongly advised not to fly there or hover...

Right or wrong I loved your video. Thanks for posting.
Also, love the tune you chose. STFU and Get Out...
:)

Reactions: yorlik
There we go!

Now that the internet has been corrected.. let the sheep get their facts straight before breeding false information further on the internet!!!

Thanks for posting that, Raceman. Nothing like correcting the herd and putting them back on the right path of information!

..sorry - huge pet peeve of mine is when users say "it's illegal, it's this, it's that - blah blah blah don't do it!" and don't provide the facts to back it up. Until valid documentation is presented I consider their points boring and just further breed stupidity across the internet.. because you know -if it's on the internet it has to be true lol

why you ripping me, when 2 other people already posted their vids on here showing the same thing. one guy even flying INSIDE the smoke stack. dirk said he thought it was illegal, but obviously not cuz he said he was gonna do the same thing

400' AMSL is your ceiling. Not 1000'.
that height limit is so you don't hit planes. well, planes aren't gonna be flyin that low cause there's a smoke stack there. that's just common sense.

Third, flying blind. Seriously. Over a power plant? What were you thinking?
i said i was getting snapshots of where it was. so i made sure i was above it before i got close. chill out spaz! lol

I can guarantee you would have been on the news and likely the front page any ANYTHING gone wrong
first, my drone isn't registered so i would've just left it there and took off. but believe it or not i was being real safe, keeping high and all. only thing could've gone wrong would've been dji's fault.

This is serious man. This is right up there with buzzing an airport control tower.
you should have led with that, then i would've known not to take you too seriously. buzzing airports vs. flying over a concrete tower? haha, that's a little bit of a stretch. sounds like you just need to chill brah

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it. William Arthur Ward

Go for it Corey. Keep on doing things that that we just dream about and don't do because of "guidelines".

Last edited:
Reactions: Corey Tucker
why you ripping me, when 2 other people already posted their vids on here showing the same thing. one guy even flying INSIDE the smoke stack. dirk said he thought it was illegal, but obviously not cuz he said he was gonna do the same thing
Wrong Corey and I said my stack was a pellet mill ..I just showed you 2 videos from others and said I thought it was illegal .
Reread the thread .
My pellet mill I spoke of pellot mill.jpg

Last edited:
In today's climate, I can't imagine this is a good idea. You might want to think through this a little farther than 'it's cool'.

Flying blind in more ways than one.

Amazing that stupidity level of some of the members here.
If I read the word "bro" or "brah" one more time i may just off myself.

You'd think the price of these things would keep children from owning them. It seems not.

Amazing that stupidity level of some of the members here.
If I read the word "bro" or "brah" one more time i may just off myself.

You'd think the price of these things would keep children from owning them. It seems not.
Can't agree with you MORE! BRO! hehe
Those words just say "no mentality".
Guess he loves to break the law, or just give quad flying a bad name... like it isn't already tarnished by his type!
You can tell by the head banger "music' (noise) he used in his video...

Reactions: konidair
The FAA should do their part and make it more transparent of do's and don'ts. Instead they hide their nonsense in fine print in the closets of the internet. These days you need to be a lawyer to sift through all the BS tape just to get a vague idea of what is okay.

That said.. fly with caution :)
Oh no, the FAA is pretty clear.

Don't.

That pretty much covers everything.

Personally I just don't know where kids get the money to buy a 500-1000 dollar toy anyway.
Probably mommy or daddy.... with NO clue as to what junior needs to know before he flys. Just think if he were to fly over a crowd and the quad comes down on people and injures someone... ahhhh the lawsuits! Bet mommy and daddy would be mad!

Like I said in my earlier post and why I posted the stuff from the FAA website, the FAA guy who what's at my conference is the guy in this part of Ohio that looks for illegal activity and goes after people that do. He said this is considered illegal since it is over critical infrastructure. Like I also said, before even thinking about doing it, you have to get clearance from the FAA and the property owner. That is straight from the FAA rep at the conference. Just warning you since they are prosecuting for this type of illegal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj