Flying from inside house or car anyone?

@GrammatonxXXxCleric are you still building your home setup with quad shielded RG6 or are you moving away from that? If you're seeing good results with it I'm going to take note to use that for my roof setup when I get there!
Well, I had already bought 200' of it from Lowes. I have been getting good results from it so I'll (for now) stay with it. LMR-400 is nice, but as long as mine works I'll keep using RG-6. It does work well. (Use high quality coax connectors and make sure the inner plastic core shield comes all the way out to mate with any connector attached to it. Leave ZERO core exposed.

Reactions: hotashes and cstout
I am also interested in this.. RG6 cable. Apologies if this has been covered but given the apparent impedance mismatch (75 vs 50 ohms), wouldn't this cause signal issues? The L-Comm 2.4 antennas are rated for 50ohms. Perhaps some of our experts can chime in here? Thanks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Edit: Maybe a non issue after all.. :)

Well, when I first got into external antennas it was a experiment that ran away from me at full speed. The RG-6 was available at my local store and I started building my set up with it. So far my range is pretty darn good (Farther than is comfortable to send my baby out) and the price wasn't terribly expensive. Should I have gotton RG-8 or LMR250+? Probly so, and might do that in the future. If that happens I can test with RF meter the differences in those cables. But for now, I have a good set of set up's to play around with and like building them and on them. The cable that came with my L-coms is sadly thin (and less shielding) compared to the RG-6 quad shld. And I'm strongly considering replacing it with RG-6.

Reactions: ebi718 and cstout
Well, when I first got into external antennas it was a experiment that ran away from me at full speed. The RG-6 was available at my local store and I started building my set up with it. So far my range is pretty darn good (Farther than is comfortable to send my baby out) and the price wasn't terribly expensive. Should I have gotton RG-8 or LMR250+? Probly so, and might do that in the future. If that happens I can test with RF meter the differences in those cables. But for now, I have a good set of set up's to play around with and like building them and on them. The cable that came with my L-coms is sadly thin (and less shielding) compared to the RG-6 quad shld. And I'm strongly considering replacing it with RG-6.

That's great news considering the price difference between RG-6 and comparable LMR. If I still have some left over I'll be sure to try it out before buying more new cable. Save me from myself...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think Amazon is sending white lab coated doctors to have me checked out... I've bought so much RF stuff lately... It is nicely insane, this rabbit hole...

I am also interested in this.. RG6 cable. Apologies if this has been covered but given the apparent impedance mismatch (75 vs 50 ohms), wouldn't this cause signal issues? The L-Comm 2.4 antennas are rated for 50ohms. Perhaps some of our experts can chime in here? Thanks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Edit: Maybe a non issue after all.. :)

Mismatched impedance will cause signal reflections so it will certainly leave something on the table. How much? You'll only know through a real world comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Gramm, @jhax01 for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Spent a day fabricating a enclosure for amps with a dedicated switching power supply (4 amp). Was going to put the
RF Linx in it and prbly still will, but I'm missing some hardware for those and still need to open their cases up to power them up (Not using injectors).
These puppies here are 8 watts and I already tested them out with exellent results.
20170103_022416.jpg

Ordered several assembled N-connecter LMR-400 cables and all the needed N-adapters. Spent the weekend finishing up amp and power supply wiring. Now hafta wait for flying weather to try it all out. Here is my RF-Link internal power bypass. Decided against drilling out the proper power jack, but this will work well.
20170109_011106.jpg

Spent a day fabricating a enclosure for amps with a dedicated switching power supply (4 amp). Was going to put the
RF Linx in it and prbly still will, but I'm missing some hardware for those and still need to open their cases up to power them up (Not using injectors).
These puppies here are 8 watts and I already tested them out with exellent results.View attachment 72342

Very cool. Interested to see results!

I didn't have birds.. I had cops. Nothing special, but I had fun during a car antenna test. Still waiting for my adapters to use my LMR-400 coax with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart