Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Then I asked msinger about updating a 300A if using a P4 and he gave me this link...
HOW TO: Install Phantom 4 firmware
John Locke's post dealt with inspire remote linked to P4, msinger's post was all about P4, but I was trying to ask about updating a P3 or inspire remote only having a P4 aircraft. Do you leave the aircraft off while updating the remote? I know when you turn on the P4, the app then switches to P4 status. Turbos problems, and my interest in buying either the 300A or the 658C has me wondering.. how do you guys update the RC's?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Although I have not linked my GL300A to my P4, I'm pretty sure everything is identical for compatibility. The Inspire GL658A controller is actually more complex since it's got the extra 5.8Ghz transmitter channel for the paired controller to control the camera when using the Inspire craft. So, if you ever upgrade the Inspire controller, you have to terminate the 5.8 radio antenna to prevent blowing that transmitter, in case you ever wanted to use it with an Inspire craft in the future.

With GL300A you don't have the 5.8 to worry about, just update the two 2.4Ghz antenna wires when you upgrade, instead of three antenna wires with GL658A.

That is one reason I haven't upgraded my GL658A yet with the DBS2.2 antenna sitting in my closet. The other reason is my GL658A gets a 3 mile range with a simple Windsurfer installed.

Then I asked msinger about updating a 300A if using a P4 and he gave me this link...
Turbos problems, and my interest in buying either the 300A or the 658C has me wondering.. how do you guys update the RC's?

Yes, this can be a little complex.

Update the P4 CRAFT to the latest firmware using the GO app process, or the DJI digital assistant on a PC or Mac. That's step one.

Then update the RC firmware to the latest firmware using the GO app. This can only be done by using GO app IF THE RC HAS 1.3 OR LATER. FYI, The craft is off during the RC firmware upgrades.

If the RC has older firmware than 1.3, you must first upgrade the RC to this level using the old method, using a thumb drive in the RCs USB port, putting the 1.3 firmware .bin file in the route directory of the thumb drive, with a PC. Then, install that thumb drive in the RC and turn it on to upgrade. The old 1.3 firmware is available in the DJI website for this purpose of enabling RCs to use GO for new updates.

All this needs to be done when the latest P4 firmware is reported GOOD to use by this forum. Otherwise wait for good firmware.

Yes, this can be a little complex.

Update the P4 CRAFT to the latest firmware using the GO app process, or the DJI digital assistant on a PC or Mac. That's step one.

Then update the RC firmware to the latest firmware using the GO app. This can only be done by using GO app IF THE RC HAS 1.3 OR LATER. FYI, The craft is off during the RC firmware upgrades.

If the RC has older firmware than 1.3, you must first upgrade the RC to this level using the old method, using a thumb drive in the RCs USB port, putting the 1.3 firmware .bin file in the route directory of the thumb drive, with a PC. Then, install that thumb drive in the RC and turn it on to upgrade. The old 1.3 firmware is available in the DJI website for this purpose of enabling RCs to use GO for new updates.

All this needs to be done when the latest P4 firmware is reported GOOD to use by this forum. Otherwise wait for good firmware.
Thanks John. So I was correct in thinking the AC had to be off. Thank you. I've read a couple of you're thread's and I'm about to purchase the 658C. Just want to be prepared.

The GL658C should have newer than 1.3 firmware, so no worries on that issue.
So if I leave the 658C stock, no modding, then there's nothing extra besides updates needing done? And same with 300A? (Just In case I decide to go this route.) I would probably keep them stock and use for quick flights. I already have my 300C modded.

So if I leave the 658C stock, no modding, then there's nothing extra besides updates needing done? And same with 300A? (Just In case I decide to go this route.) I would probably keep them stock and use for quick flights. I already have my 300C modded.

Correct, just update the GL658C firmware to match the craft and you're good. Keep a Windsurfer handy for those times you need more than 2 mile range.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so what's your indoor setup? Here is mine on my car. 20,000ft with room to go further. I also have a setup just like this for my house using high quality low loss cable with the same results!
Stealth Mode!

Correct, just update the GL658C firmware to match the craft and you're good. Keep a Windsurfer handy for those times you need more than 2 mile range.
Cool. I got close to 3 miles with a stock 300C in this one spot, and over 2 in a few others. Kinda surprised me when I seen that expectations were a lot less. The 658 should kick some arss then. :) Thanks for the help Mr. Locke.

Happy B day to me
Happy B day to me
Bought a 658C
Happy B day to me
:)

Enjoy your new toy!!
It's handy having a stock controller sitting around for the ocational/quick stand and fly...
I stood up while flying from inside the house yesterday.... Does that count ?? Lol

Reactions: JohnnyB
The GL658C should have newer than 1.3 firmware, so no worries on that issue.
John,
Are you still using 1.6.0 RC and Go 2.8.3 ??

Thanks
Turbo

Enjoy your new toy!!
It's handy having a stock controller sitting around for the ocational/quick stand and fly...
I stood up while flying from inside the house yesterday.... Does that count ?? Lol
Haha! Got me laughing this morning. Needed that. I know I pester everyone to death with the questions but last September when I bought the P4, I knew absolutely nothing. Thanks to all for putting up with me..lol
P.S. You sung my little song didn't you..lolol

Reactions: Turbomania
Haha! Got me laughing this morning. Needed that. I know I pester everyone to death with the questions but last September when I bought the P4, I knew absolutely nothing. Thanks to all for putting up with me..lol
P.S. You sung my little song didn't you..lolol

That's the cool thing about this place. Everyone is willing to help out. We are kinda like our own small group and this thread is a giant brain storm...lol, thanks again Jeremiah for starting this and making it thru the BS in the beginning!! By far the coolest forum i have been part of.

Now everyone stop talking all these big distance numbers and get back to cutting down tree's...lol

Turbo

That's the cool thing about this place. Everyone is willing to help out. We are kinda like our own small group and this thread is a giant brain storm...lol, thanks again Jeremiah for starting this and making it thru the BS in the beginning!! By far the coolest forum i have been part of.

Now everyone stop talking all these big distance numbers and get back to cutting down tree's...lol

Turbo

Thanks to all you guys who love this as much as me and come to contribute. I absolutely love seeing what everyone has done. This is awesome!

Last edited:
Prbly gonna be 27mhz..... (laughs)

Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB
Has anybody checked out the new dji drone? Matrice 200 .- a modded i2.
seems to tackle many of this thread's subjects..
7km range, 38min in air! Ip43 rain proof.
seems answering our calls :)
yea.. But it's not for free....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl