Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Got the L-Comms connected.. tested them, but need to re-test in a different spot. Trees love to interfere with the signal and it wasn't valid. I plan on a 10,400 ft run over state lines. And a large river. Will try to fly it in daylight, but my clock is set to night work. Anyway, here's the control room where missions are flown from at times.

Ok, I made an effort to read through all 55 pages of this incredible thread before posting and boy do I have questions. I'll try to keep them short and sweet. Throughout the progress of discussion and "try this, not that" and all the antennas that were thrown out there I've gathered that the l-com's are the superior antennas for car installation. Toward the end of the 55 pages though, some new amps came into the mix. The original recommendations were two l-com antennas and two 3w Sunhans amps. This sounds great, but what about the RF Linx equipment? I've seen some installs with just their amps and then some with injectors and amps. I guess after reading through and seeing the different equipment but no comparisons I'd like to ask...what's significantly different between these setups? I can only guess at the differences right now so I'd like to ask.

I've got my P4 arriving Wednesday which replaces my P3S and I'm really excited about this extreme range modification and being able to be in the comfort of my vehicle. I'm looking at modding the remote with the Maxx UAV clean install kit so I can switch between a panel antenna for travel and the car-mounted antennas for parking and going for distance exploration.

Thank you to all who have contributed on this thread. There is an overwhelming amount of excellent and educational content.

Don't amp.... there are tree's..... and stuff...
Hahaha.. about choked on this ham..lol
Welcome cstout! What you named at the end of your post will be perfect!!! Congrats on finishing this thread! Took me a week before I started posting.
I just made a Christmas Eve flight with maxxuav's DBS02... Amazing little antenna!!! Then like you say, you can use its amps for the L-coms! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Okay so I did two more tests today. Was running straight from the remote into the LMR cables and then to the antennas on the roof. Of course on the video side the RF linx is still in play. With that said, I still did just as well with no amps on the control side or the extra sunhan on the video side(8000'). So then I went North instead of South and flew out of battery range. So apparently the couple trees close to me are having a bigger effect than I thought they would. Here is a few pics of my antennas.

Attachments

• DJI_0009a.JPG
    DJI_0009a.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 266
  • DJI_0010a.JPG
    DJI_0010a.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 239
  • DJI_0011a.JPG
    DJI_0011a.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 250
I will recheck my readings. -15Dbm seems right. I'll check, hopefully sometime soon.
If I remember right you only have 1 Rx Linx amp.
On the Video side that should work great. I have flown with the 1 Omni direct to the Controller on the control side without issue. That's with a car set up and only 10ft of cable too. I run an amp on both sides, even if I feel it's a waste on the control side.
Environment is everything, one day I am like, dam this thing will fly forever, thru anything. next time out I think something is up.
The Directional Panel Antenna's don't seem to be bothered by interference nearly as much. Can punch thru much more. But you have to aim them. Our Omni's are awesome as far as sitting in the car or house and flying, but suffer from seeing noise from 360 Degree's. The down side..
I do feel the long disconnect was the App. mine picks it right back up. Running 3.1.1, and 1.6 on the Controller. Bird is curr
Yes I only have the one rf linx amp on the video side. Also running 3.1.1 and have had issues with it so I just wrote that part off.

Last edited:
I find that control signal is never a issue... only Video feed (What you NEED) is)

Video data is HUGE in size and stream, Only power and non-obstruction will achieve full transfer/lock of it.

Gearing up to test all (4) drone-side antennas of helical/planar type feed antennas. I tested 2 of them, and control signal was 100% 100% of the time. Video was 75% ...( I may have plugged antennas to control side. of light bridge) the light bridge terminals are NOT identified. So If I do the test I'll mod All 4 antennas and see who's who of what.... What?...

Reactions: JohnnyB
@bear...
Great! Glad to hear that! I didn't think of cutting trees down when I was making a troubleshoot list. *setting in thinking man stance*

Okay so I did two more tests today. Was running straight from the remote into the LMR cables and then to the antennas on the roof. Of course on the video side the RF linx is still in play. With that said, I still did just as well with no amps on the control side or the extra sunhan on the video side(8000'). So then I went North instead of South and flew out of battery range. So apparently the couple trees close to me are having a bigger effect than I thought they would. Here is a few pics of my antennas.
I can see where the trees had you foul. But, love hearing about success! Good job!

Reactions: Bear501
(Note: When video feed is lost, manual setting of channel always switches back to auto.) At least in Litchi, ddn't try DJI go.

Last edited:

Same problem i have from home. Pine Tree's
They are evil :) ... They suck up a ton of signal.. Bastards...lol

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Didn't have time to drive somewhere for another L-com test with a turkey spinning on the rotisserie in the smoker, so I flew the DBS02 which is awesome. I can see the maxxrange in the future!

Love the video !! You have cool stuff everywhere :) Digging the tri pod.
Looks like the DBS on a tri pod works awesome and is portable.
I'm almost over my box of cables/amps/injectors/antenna's/bases,ect,ect...
Only issue is i would be a Turbo sickle standing outside here. :p
Merry Christmas !!!

Edit
Next video we want to see ya fly under that aluminum car port :)

Last edited:
Got the L-Comms connected.. tested them, but need to re-test in a different spot. Trees love to interfere with the signal and it wasn't valid. I plan on a 10,400 ft run over state lines. And a large river. Will try to fly it in daylight, but my clock is set to night work. Anyway, here's the control room where missions are flown from at times.

Cool Video, well done !!! Good luck with your next mission...
I work nights also, the clock in my head is broken...lol
Merry Christmas !!!

(Note: When video feed is lost, manual setting of channel always switches back to auto.) At least in Litchi, ddn't try DJI go.
I didn't realize that. doesn't seem like DJI Go does that... Have been using Auto lately but will have to check this out.
Thanks for sharing...

Turbo

Love the video !! You have cool stuff everywhere :) Digging the tri pod.
Looks like the DBS on a tri pod works awesome and is portable.
I'm almost over my box of cables/amps/injectors/antenna's/bases,ect,ect...
Only issue is i would be a Turbo sickle standing outside here.[emoji14]Merry Christmas !!!

Edit
Next video we want to see ya fly under that aluminum car port :)
Lol.. ice-turb. That's my neighbors place I was flying over.
That tripod, cheap one for cell phone. Don't get cheap.

Reactions: Turbomania

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak