Flying Etiquette - Man Attacks my Drone with a Fishing Rod after Boat Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
You asked for opinions then you get defensive when they're given?What was the point of this thread? To me it was to try and justify actions which you clearly already know we're out of bounds. That's my opinion and since you opened yourself up to opinions you have no choice but to take it. At least that's my opinion anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There are FAA guidelines to follow and the OP broke many of them. Use this guys video as how not to fly your UAV. People with this attitude are much of the reason we are hated by the non-UAV public. Operators like this have no regard for others and feel so entitled that they are immune from common decency.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Don't be like this guy, please fly responsibly.

I believe we should all try to be good Goodwill Ambassadors of our hobby, making reasonable efforts not interfere with the rights of others to enjoy their activities.
If you search the forum you will find many post that defend our hobby on the basis of how small people look to us. Often we claim, were not using drones for spying or invading privacy, however in this video, the OP went beyond just capturing the event, "a boat run-aground", something he could have done from a reasonable distance, to "charter passengers trip ruined". IMO, no invasion of privacy, but yes on invasion of personal space, at minimum he got close enough to be considered a nuisance. We should all use common sense and if you don't have that, use one of your other senses, eyesight in this case. These people weren't waiving with smiles and content, they were pissed. Continuing to stay after they made clear their displeasure towards the Drones presence was just bullish and selfish. Just because someone has a party in a public does not justify party crashing. If these people didn't have a prior hate for drones, I'll bet they do now. That's just not good for anyone. Be a Goodwill Ambassador!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you fly A drone you know that the objects appear much closer than they are in reality.
After having taken DSLR picture for 15 years and owning 4 variable zoom Lenses. The effective focal length is a lot closer to 150-200mm.
Phantom uses computer to continually maintain focus. You've peeked my interest. I'm going to research focal length. I'll bet it's a lot closer to 150 than 50. Meaning the shot looks like I'm right next too, but I'm actually a good (Safe distance) away.

At last we've established that you can't tell the difference between focal length and Field of View but you've said 4 times that you believe that objects are further away than they appear in the Phantom lens.
I don't know what you've been doing with your SLR for 15 years but you didn't learn much.
What you've asserted multiple times is the opposite of the actual situation.
Rather than being further away, objects are significantly CLOSER than they appear on your screen.
That's because the lens of the Phantom camera has a focal length of 3.61mm which gives a viewing angle equivalent to a 20mm lens on a full frame SLR (that's a very wide angle).
And incidentally, there is no computer to focus because there is no focus.
It's a fixed-focus lens.

I won't bother to discuss anything about ettiquette as you've shown you have no insight and have ignored everyone that's already commented.

If I were to put myself in the boaters shoes, I'd probably want you to go get me help. I'm kind of stuck, you obviously know it; so help me a little bit here.
Instead you hover over him like an annoying gnat for probably too long.
I'm usually one to side with the drone pilot because I enjoy my privilege to fly as much as all of you; but just imagine it were you at the helm of that boat. How would you feel?

imagine it were you at the helm of that boat. How would you feel?

Well, to inject some humor here because I've said my piece, I imagine if I was the skipper of that boat I'd feel pretty STUCK! All of the video aside, he grounded hard, and it's not like there's not enough power on the transom.

That part of it is what probably got their blood pressure up to begin with.

Phantom propellers are loud. And in the midst of getting stuck on a shallow rocks, a buzzing noise it the last thing I want to hear. I would be pretty mad about it if I were them. But this will probably go into a deaf ear.

I think you may have pushed the boundary of invasion here. Funny video but you did ask for retaliation IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I talked to a lawyer. You're comment is way off-base. When he watched it he asked me how close I was. I told him 10-15 feet. He asked if I interfered with the operation of the boat. He asked If they boaters had to take some action to avoid contact. Negative on all counts. He said: The boaters were simply jerks and that they should have ignored the Drone and gone about their business. You can show their faces if you like, but If the video has earnings, they could claim some. He suggested the subtle blur.

I don't believe a word of that, and I doubt anyone else does, either.

Odd someone would ask for an opinion and then get insulted when an opinion is given that differs from his. That's why I find forums like this a waste of time for the most part. And I've just wasted time reading through this nonsense thread. :-/

Too close? Yes. Illegal? No. I think you're way too close especially considering its a wide angle 20mm lens and I know how close you'd have to be to get the images you did. I fly 2 P3P's so I'm familiar with the footage and images taken from that camera.
I don't know what your experience level is
Lord knows I've done things with a phantom that people find objectionable. I'm thinking of what I might have done on that situation. I wouldn't have been that close to the boat. People are ignorant jerks. They call the police, yell, try to steal equipment, generally get in the way and harass you, try to educate you about things they know nothing about.... In short, people suck. I don't want to be where they can see me or my drones.

Lastly, You know that the final focal length of the DJI P3P camera is huge. Objects appear much closer than they are in real life, because the focal length is so long. IMHO, I wasn't that close to them. They obviously could see the Drone. The fact that they could see the drone filming them crash into the rocks was embarrassing to them and they lashed out. I respect your opinion, I just respectfully disagree. Since, I have done many Boat follows. From 25 footers to Cruise Ships, In 7 months they were the only people to take offense.

This is actually the opposite thing, you're completely wrong. The focal length of the P3 drones corresponds to a 20mm lens on a full frame sensor. Which is actually an extremely short focal length (more simply, a wide angle). Justly, objects in front of you will appear extremely far away from the camera. Have you ever felt to be very high in the sky while you were flying only 20 meters from the ground? Well, that's because you're seeing things through a wide angle lens.

So, what to conclude? You were flying WAY closer to the fishers than you think. The wide angle just gave you the impression you were flying at a reasonable distance from the boat. Well, no.

Of course, personally, I wouldn't have reacted like that if a drone came to me, but their nervousness is totally understandable. Never fly your drone too close from people, for such a long time. This is really intrusive. Think about it next time...

Last edited:
I agree with ImJim, I use a wide angle 90% of the time for my real estate photos, 10-20mm.

If that was a boat for hire/charter, you might have violated homeland security regs about being too close to a vessel. The rule is strictly enforced around cruise ships, unless they have rescinded it. Been a few years since I sold my boat & moved from the coast to central Texas.

Can't blame the guy for being mad, he's embarrassed & mad because he shouldn't be that close to shore & he shoulda seen the color change in the water. But he was probably going to fast to do anything anyway. He's got a lot of $'s tied up in that rig, my boat was close to 100K, so I think he is more like 200-250K.

TowBoatUS is awesome, they're a great resource, wish we had them here on the lake. If you're 50 miles offshore & experience a problem, it's comforting to know they will come get you. For a fee of course, I paid annually to keep the cost reasonable should I need them.

Bottom line, you rubbed his nose in it, by being so close.

This is actually the opposite thing, you're completely wrong. The focal length of the P3 drones corresponds to a 20mm lens on a full frame sensor. Which is actually an extremely short focal length (more simply, a wide angle). Justly, objects in front of you will appear extremely far away from the camera. Have you ever felt to be very high in the sky while you were flying only 20 meters from the ground? Well, that's because you're seeing things through a wide angle lens.

So, what to conclude? You were flying WAY closer to the fishers than you think. The wide angle just gave you the impression you were flying at a reasonable distance from the boat. Well, no.

Of course I wouldn't have reacted like that if a drone came to me, but their nervousness is totally understandable. Never fly your drone too close from people, for such a long time. This is really intrusive. Think about it next time...

Reactions: jeganx
But ask yourself...Did you distract the boatie , causing him to ground? Then ask...did said boatie have charts/knowledge of the area involved? Maybe if the answer to both ,or maybe even one of these is "yes" ,he shoulda just done what the air investigators refer to as "just fly the plane". In this case , just drive the boat ,let someone else worry 'bout the drone and watch where you're going . But , if it were me , I'd have kept a bit clear - at least a couple of rodlengths !!!! :) I had a Phantom come low between my house and next door's , and then went to height over my back garden . It came from 2 streets and a main road away ,without even line of sight for the radio . Not arsed about the privacy thing , just that some pillock was rogering the Air Navigation order in so doing , thus adding to public image issues surrounding our toys. Bet he shat himself when he watched the playback; our avenue is festooned with telephone wires that would be unlikely to show up in the video feed.All it takes is a bit of common sense. Ought to have kept a bit more distance , I feel.

Last edited:
I had the most incredible encounter with a boater a little while back. I went out to film the sunrise from my Drone one Beautiful Morning. I was a little late and the light/weather wasn't that good, so I fly around a little more and I saw this boat. I descended and followed the boat from a close distance. The closest I got to the boat while it was moving was, I would estimate about 34-40ft. Lo and behold, the boat crashes into the shallows, while I'm filming it. I descend even further and get to about 10-15ft away from the boat.

I know that the people on the boat were upset, but I can't figure out for the life of me why? As you pilot a boat on a public waterway in public, You should not expect privacy. You're out in public!!!

I cut out some of the footage for time reasons, but, take a look at the vid. Did I do something wrong? Was I following poor flying etiquette. Do you think I got too close to them?

Poor Etiquette you knew it wasn't right or you wouldn't be asking this question.

Wow. Just wow and a lot of SMH. Way to close but the worst is the video that simply begs them to find you and come drop you, your controller and the drone in the water.

Shines a bad light on the hobby, in totally unprofessional. It's this type of behavior that had people yelling for privacy.

I get shooting the event but to get right behind and hover.

Having watched the vid ,I reckon the boatie was unaware of the Phantom , so it's presence was'nt causal factor. So it's his fault , then . Might have seen the colour change of the appearance of the water/bottom ground , I reckon so a small clue there, Sherlock . An obstruction like that so close to moorings would have been definitely marked on a chart , there may even have been a danger mark in the water , for all - or most - to see, thus , boatie is a pillock . Not surprised his embarrassment got the better of him , it happened to me on a sandbank at Pennekamp in Fl. Tour boat with wives/mother of us 2 pinheads on board . Just wanted the sea to swallow us up . D'oh! Yes, indeed.

Sweet rig he has , tho'. Did have.....tee hee.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl