Flying Etiquette - Man Attacks my Drone with a Fishing Rod after Boat Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rude person doesn't recognize himself as rude even when it's pointed out to him. That is one of the characteristics of being rude. Instead, he continues to defend his actions, even though the opinions of the majority of people around him are in agreement that his actions were rude.

100% agree. What comes through is the sense of entitlement he seems to convey that he was in the right. The concept between what is legal, and what is simply common decency seems to be lost. The event was on film and he escalated it through his actions, then had the audacity to call them jerks.

A rude person doesn't recognize himself as rude even when it's pointed out to him. That is one of the characteristics of being rude. Instead, he continues to defend his actions, even though the opinions of the majority of people around him are in agreement that his actions were rude.

Rudeness is a subjective concept. I think my etiquette was OK, If your advancing an opinion that, It's rude to fly a drone where other people notice it. I would continue to push back against that. They noticed it was there, so what, so frickin what. The captain went about his business, the girls went about there own business. If it was so close and such a hazard, my attacker would have down it. He didn't because it wasnt'. also, You seem to be basing your posts on their reaction and how you would feel. I don't care what their reaction was. I maintained a completely safe distance and it made for an interesting video. There supposed feelings of. "How dare this device film me while out in public" doesn't matter. What I solicited opinions on were my actions, my etiquette. If you fly A drone you know that the objects appear much closer than they are in reality. My estimation of the distance is probably too small. What if I was 50ft away, What if I was 100ft away. How did I interfere with the occupants of that boat. The answer, I didn't and they should have just ignored it.

Grow Up!

A 35 mm lens on a 35mm camera is a moderate wide angle lens.
specs for P4
94° Wide-Angle Lens
The camera features a 94° angle-of-view lens, which is a narrower angle than a fisheye for less distortion while still being wide enough to capture establishing shots. The lens features an f/2.8 aperture and is comprised of 9 elements, including an aspherical element

True, but I'm trying to describe/measure the distance effect that Phantom camera has. Not doing it well. Have to read up some more.

100% agree. What comes through is the sense of entitlement he seems to convey that he was in the right. The concept between what is legal, and what is simply common decency seems to be lost. The event was on film and he escalated it through his actions, then had the audacity to call them jerks.

To be clear, I am completely entitled to fly my Drone Out over Biscayne Bay. That's like me saying No-one else can use Biscayne Bay because I want to film the sunrise. And I don't want anything else spoiling my shot. While your stating an opinion and I did solicit opinions, Your logic is nonsensicle. So, I'm commenting on your logic that justifies illegal acts because, you might have felt it was too close. Why don't you preface your posts with, I feel. Instead of trying to create some standard that the boaters were somehow justified. Because that's all your writing your opinion and trying to dress it up as something else.

In your Kansas cornfield world, what if I was 75ft away, 100ft away. What if it was 200ft away and an occupant of the boat puled out a rifle and blew it away. Would that be OK in your view. Common Decency - What are you smoking?

Your opinion is valid, but your facts are laughably wrong. Stalking!, really? The word stalking has a legal and dictionary definition. Neither of which are even close to applicability here.

I'm not a lawyer or a police officer and I don't know what the actual charge would be - but I am fairly certain that if you were close enough to interfere with their fishing, you could have been (rightfully) charged with something for your actions that day - whether it's some form of being a "nuisance" or "harassment" or something else. The incident that day may not have qualified as harassment on its own - but I think that all of your actions since then - including the YouTube video adds up to harassment.

The fact that you felt so threatened by the fisherman casting into the water that you moved away and then complained about his actions is really all the evidence one needs to determine you were too close.

Did you know these people before this incident and have something against them? It seems completely over the top that you would go after them publicly and feign offense at their behavior when you clearly instigated the incident.

When so many people - including fellow pilots - are pointing out to you that whether it was illegal or not - your behavior was rude and anti-social - is that going to cause you to modify your behavior any in the future? Right or wrong - flying that close to people, and staying so long - clearly pisses people off. Or will you continue to generate negative sentiments between drone pilots and the general public?

A 35 mm lens on a 35mm camera is a moderate wide angle lens.
specs for P4
94° Wide-Angle Lens
The camera features a 94° angle-of-view lens, which is a narrower angle than a fisheye for less distortion while still being wide enough to capture establishing shots. The lens features an f/2.8 aperture and is comprised of 9 elements, including an aspherical element
Just a thought. Are you confusing FOV and Focal length? Putting a telephoto lens on a Phantom would create problems. First, any vibration would me magnified. Also less would appear to be in acceptable focus due to depth of field. There are vari focal tele lenses and zoom lens. Two different things really. Dept of field is something many do not totally understand. Light can only be focused at one point. Anything before or after that point is actually out of focus but may appear to be in focus depending on how large it is when viewed. Look up CIRCLES OF CONFUSION. As you know a point not in focus will appear a blurred disc. The more out of focus, the larger the disc. I believe the standard for what was considered to still be in focus but wasn't the point focused on was the disc was less than 1/100 of an inch on the film. . This is how they came up with depth charts for different lenses.

Reactions: MiamiDroneFlights
I'm not a lawyer or a police officer and I don't know what the actual charge would be - but I am fairly certain that if you were close enough to interfere with their fishing, you could have been (rightfully) charged with something for your actions that day - whether it's some form of being a "nuisance" or "harassment" or something else. The incident that day may not have qualified as harassment on its own - but I think that all of your actions since then - including the YouTube video adds up to harassment.

The fact that you felt so threatened by the fisherman casting into the water that you moved away and then complained about his actions is really all the evidence one needs to determine you were too close.

Did you know these people before this incident and have something against them? It seems completely over the top that you would go after them publicly and feign offense at their behavior when you clearly instigated the incident.

When so many people - including fellow pilots - are pointing out to you that whether it was illegal or not - your behavior was rude and anti-social - is that going to cause you to modify your behavior any in the future? Right or wrong - flying that close to people, and staying so long - clearly pisses people off. Or will you continue to generate negative sentiments between drone pilots and the general public?

I talked to a lawyer. You're comment is way off-base. When he watched it he asked me how close I was. I told him 10-15 feet. He asked if I interfered with the operation of the boat. He asked If they boaters had to take some action to avoid contact. Negative on all counts. He said: The boaters were simply jerks and that they should have ignored the Drone and gone about their business. You can show their faces if you like, but If the video has earnings, they could claim some. He suggested the subtle blur.

Just one tip for you though. Just because you feel something doesn't give it validity. Your opening sentence is asinine. Instead of offering laughably incorrect opinions, why not pick up a book or Talk to someone who actually does know. Better yet, It's a beautiful day. Why not check out some of my other videos. People just love the Allure of the Seas video, or Maybe the Container ship going into port at sunrise. The Cityscape is to die for.

Period

I had my thoughts about the flight but decided not to share my views. I knew many would. So, I just stayed on the tech side of things.

You're right, this thread had devolved. But, I do want to find away to quantify the actual distance for my own peace of mind. Have a good day.

Alrighty then.

CNN and Fox definitely have way too many drone hysteria stories, so people are sensitive. But...

Imagine you are in a park. Someone walks up to 15' away and points a camera at you and starts filming. You would be all, 'dude....' And the person just stands there with the camera filming you! I would certainly get annoyed at some point.

Now...many people see a drone and get agitated. To them I say, 'calm the eff down.' And yes, no expectation of privacy in a public place...

Imagine this...the person in the park has no camera but walks up and just starts staring at you. Doesn't leAve. No explanation...just....staring.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I talked to a lawyer. You're comment is way off-base. When he watched it he asked me how close I was. I told him 10-15 feet. He asked if I interfered with the operation of the boat. He asked If they boaters had to take some action to avoid contact. Negative on all counts. He said: The boaters were simply jerks and that they should have ignored the Drone and gone about their business. You can show their faces if you like, but If the video has earnings, they could claim some. He suggested the subtle blur.

Just one tip for you though. Just because you feel something doesn't give it validity. Your opening sentence is asinine. Instead of offering laughably incorrect opinions, why not pick up a book or Talk to someone who actually does know. Better yet, It's a beautiful day. Why not check out some of my other videos. People just love the Allure of the Seas video, or Maybe the Container ship going into port at sunrise. The Cityscape is to die for.

YouTube: Miami Drone Flights

Period

It seems that many here agree with my laughably incorrect opinions. It would seem to me that it's your opinions that are laughably incorrect.

But If you or anyone else brings a drone with spinning blades like the Phantom even 30 feet away from me or my family, I'm going to attempt to knock that thing out of the sky by any means possible. I don't know what your skill is as a pilot, and I don't know how well maintained your drone is, and I don't know if there's a manufacturing defect in that drone just waiting to occur and send it spiraling out of your control and into my loved one.

I *do* know how much damage those spinning blades can do if they come into contact with a person and I would most certainly feel threatened with one hovering 20-30 feet away from me.

Just a thought. Are you confusing FOV and Focal length? Putting a telephoto lens on a Phantom would create problems. First, any vibration would me magnified. Also less would appear to be in acceptable focus due to depth of field. There are vari focal tele lenses and zoom lens. Two different things really. Dept of field is something many do not totally understand. Light can only be focused at one point. Anything before or after that point is actually out of focus but may appear to be in focus depending on how large it is when viewed. Look up CIRCLES OF CONFUSION. As you know a point not in focus will appear a blurred disc. The more out of focus, the larger the disc. I believe the standard for what was considered to still be in focus but wasn't the point focused on was the disc was less than 1/100 of an inch on the film. . This is how they came up with depth charts for different lenses.

You have hit upon exactly what I was driving at. I've been a enthusiast Photog for 15 years. I've never had to describe what it is I'm trying to convey. Gonna give it some more thought.

OK guy's I have edited some of your post and have reopened this .
Comment if you choose but please watch your language and do not
let this become argumentative .
Think.jpg

I appreciate your opinion. If you apply the logic some of the posters here are using the boaters control a sphere of privacy that is miles big and Nothing can be filmed without the blessings of the subject. I realize most of them fly over corn fields and filming the barn and 'bessie' over and over again. I'm after something a little more scenic. I;m usually not concerned with the people. They became concerned with me (The Drone).

Just so poster know my position. I was right. I maintained a safe distance, I never flew in there path, I never directly flew overhead at less then 200-300ft, as they moved under. Right out of the box, I figured that this thing has the potential to injure people and that I have to fly in such a way as not endanger unsuspecting people. I have always tried to do that.

:) i.e. Whatever I feel is the way it is. If I don't like something it's wrong, regardless.

The world simply doesn't work that way.

bingo! most here live out in the farms, I'm jealous for sure, I'd love to live out in the sticks, but I don't and personally flying a slow drone in a big field is extremely boring, had I been in your shoes I would have filmed exactly the same .
DJI and drone companies know many don't have open fields, we have streets,houses and water ways. Many people want to sound like the authority and savior for drone flying, when they realize .5% of flyers are even on this site they might relax the
grip a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj