Flying Etiquette - Man Attacks my Drone with a Fishing Rod after Boat Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the most incredible encounter with a boater a little while back. I went out to film the sunrise from my Drone one Beautiful Morning. I was a little late and the light/weather wasn't that good, so I fly around a little more and I saw this boat. I descended and followed the boat from a close distance. The closest I got to the boat while it was moving was, I would estimate about 34-40ft. Lo and behold, the boat crashes into the shallows, while I'm filming it. I descend even further and get to about 10-15ft away from the boat.

I know that the people on the boat were upset, but I can't figure out for the life of me why? As you pilot a boat on a public waterway in public, You should not expect privacy. You're out in public!!!

I cut out some of the footage for time reasons, but, take a look at the vid. Did I do something wrong? Was I following poor flying etiquette. Do you think I got too close to them?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
My take is this was incredibly intrusive and rude. I think you can see by their response. The more people that have a bad experience with drones the harder it is for the rest of us to fly in public areas with objections, arguments or outright hostility. And there's already plenty of that.

I had the most incredible encounter with a boater a little while back. I went out to film the sunrise from my Drone one Beautiful Morning. I was a little late and the light/weather wasn't that good, so I fly around a little more and I saw this boat. I descended and followed the boat from a close distance. The closest I got to the boat while it was moving was, I would estimate about 34-40ft. Lo and behold, the boat crashes into the shallows, while I'm filming it. I descend even further and get to about 10-15ft away from the boat.

I know that the people on the boat were upset, but I can't figure out for the life of me why? As you pilot a boat on a public waterway in public, You should not expect privacy. You're out in public!!!

I cut out some of the footage for time reasons, but, take a look at the vid. Did I do something wrong? Was I following poor flying etiquette. Do you think I got too close to them?

I don't think you did anything that wrong I wouldn't have done it that close, I am afraid of hurting someone. I would rather film landscape and animals not people. But that is just me, I did enjoy the video. LOL

As soon as I heard the hacky rewind sound effects you lost any support from me. Amateurish candid-cameraesque rubbish. You were way too close and I was rooting for the guy with the rod. Also, I recommend you learn the difference between their, there and they're.

And what I find funny without even watching the video yet?
The OP knew he was being rude, felt the need to ask others here if he was being rude then when called on it (Being Rude) multiple times he walked away from the thread.
So even this post is pointless.

OP..you were rude & like many others have said, you're giving the rest of us a bad name.

Now I'm off to see this video :D

Reactions: mikesmiley
Just my opinion, that was a very lucky video and interesting to watch, But... If the situation was different and I was my sister who just accidentally crashed her $150k car and you hovered down 10 feet from her instead of calling for help I'd use your YouTube post and find out who you were and make your drone part of your "fuselage"... Hypothetically of course.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: mikesmiley
Yes tou

Yes, you're too close, you're stalking them. It's not your boat to be filming that way.

I had the most incredible encounter with a boater a little while back. I went out to film the sunrise..
I notice you quit replying to messages that overall thought you were too close for too long of a time and made those folks angry. Probably a good idea to not try to defend your position after reading through this thread.

But I can't resist...IMO both you and the boater were wrong. Obvious from the comments that you were closer than you thought. Wide angle Phantom lenses make it appear you are father away not closer so you were VERY close. I hope you learn from this though and I'm glad folks post their mistakes along with there successes.

Keep flying and have a good time...Just don't get so close to folks.

In most countries (USA included I believe), its ilegal to fly out of sight, or over people, or aproach people (not participating in the operation) to less than 30 meters (100 ft)...

Maybe YOU are the ofender, not the fisherman...

Reactions: Biggle
Hey everyone! Go to a park and stare at someone.

Or, point a camera at someone...don't move...don't ask..just do it.

Sounds creepy, doesn't it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

And with that being the OP hasn't logged on in 6 1/2 days I believe nothing else can really be added to this and has been about beat to death .
Unless another Mod want's to reopen this consider it
Closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers