Flight mode for photogrammetry in Litchi ?

Reaction score
I've found an amazing tutorial for photogrammetry with Phantom.

The only problem is that it was written for Phantom 3.

So... after the manual take-off (in P mode)... with the P3 at the right altitudine... it says to switch to F mode before loading/starting the waypoint mission on Litchi... then it says that, when the mission is over, you have to switch again to P mode in order to landing manually...

But the F mode is not present on P4... I assume that in the P4 manual take-off, automatic flight with waypoints and manual landing must be made all in P mode. That's right ?

Other thing... if during a flight mission through waypoints I want to take manual control of my drone, how I have to do that ?

Reactions: denali1313
Correct, you use P mode on the P4. To take manual control just switch to (S)port or (A)tti mode

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've found an amazing tutorial for photogrammetry with Phantom.
Rather than have Litchi fly a waypoint mission and try to calculate where to take each photo to get the proper overlap coverage, it's a lot easier to use one of the photogrammetry apps.
They will plan the mission, fly the mission and take the photos for you.
Here's one of them: DroneDeploy: Powerful cloud-based drone software.

The mission could be planned using a specific software... thats the entire tutorial (in italian language)...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have another question.

When the mission ends, what happens to the drone ?

It remains suspended in the air waiting for my manual controls ?

I have another question.

When the mission ends, what happens to the drone ?

It remains suspended in the air waiting for my manual controls ?
Litchi has a "Finish Action" setting where you can choose what you would like it to do at the end of a mission. It defaults to "None" which will make it hover in place. You can also choose to Land, go home, and I think even fly the mission in reverse. Check out their help page. They have some great info: Help - Litchi

Today I tried to map a very hilly terrain.

Everything went as expected (great P4 and great Litchi) except that the flight path was wrong and the pictures did not cover the whole area...

Back home I realized what went wrong... the planning software considers the area to be mapped as a "flat board" and then it considers some viewing angles than in reality turn out to be narrower because the ground is higher than expected (the flight altitutide was set equal for all waypoints)...

So... I need a planning software that take into consideration the real 3D terrain of a place... any advice ?

Not sure if I am understanding your question 100%, but I have tried Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy for 2D Mapping but both can produce 3D as well.

I'm sure others can chime in as well.

I try to explain the problem better than I can.

To map a certain area I have to draw a route of flight and tell the drone how high to fly, how fast to fly and how many seconds to take a picture in accordance with the overlap of the "streaks" I request.

The planning software I tried (see the first video I linked at minute 4) calculates all this stuff automatically BUT considering all the area to be mapped as flat... so...

... when the drone flies (all the waypoints have the same flight altitude) over the highest part of the land, it does not photograph what the software predicted because the distance between the drone and the ground is reduced and the FOV of the camera is reduced too...

Last edited:
In other words...

What happened today is that I set a height of 30 meters for all the flight... until the land was flat all was right... but when the ground got up 15 meters I starting took restricted pictures...

So I need a flight path that maintains a fixed height from the (real) ground.

For example... I choose to fly at 30 meters... if the ground suddenly falls by 10 meters the drone should lower 10 meters... if the ground suddenly rises of 20 meters the drone has to get up to 20 meters... in this way the distance between the camera and the terrain remains constant and the FOV (also) remains constant...

Use the Litchi website to plan your mission. When you create a waypoint it tells you the difference in height between that waypoint and your first waypoint (presumably home). You can then manually adjust the height accordingly

Can I ask a question? I just heard about Litchi about 2 days ago, it appears to be a good app. Would anyone recommend it instead of DJI or would you use both of them??

Since we are in the Phantom 4 pro section, and the P4Pro SDK is not released yet, can anybody tell me if the pro can be made to work with the current versions of Litchi/Drone deploy or Maps made easy etc to map an area.
Thanks

Today I tried to map a very hilly terrain.

Everything went as expected (great P4 and great Litchi) except that the flight path was wrong and the pictures did not cover the whole area...

Back home I realized what went wrong... the planning software considers the area to be mapped as a "flat board" and then it considers some viewing angles than in reality turn out to be narrower because the ground is higher than expected (the flight altitutide was set equal for all waypoints)...

So... I need a planning software that take into consideration the real 3D terrain of a place... any advice ?
Use google earth to map your track over uneven ground to keep the craft the same altitude above the ACTUAL ground level across the entire mission.

check this out for more info

Plan Mission in Google Earth, convert, import to Litchi Mission Hub

Use google earth to map your track over uneven ground to keep the craft the same altitude above the ACTUAL ground level across the entire mission.

check this out for more info

Plan Mission in Google Earth, convert, import to Litchi Mission Hub

With this system you can plan ONLY the flight path... but you can't know if with that path you can make a good photogrammetric survey... you also don't know how often you must take a photo...

I currently use Mission Planner as you can plan the flight taking into account (automatically) the height of the terrain.

I also found a way to export the mission from Mission Planner and import it into Litchi ;)

With this system you can plan ONLY the flight path... but you can't know if with that path you can make a good photogrammetric survey... you also don't know how often you must take a photo...

I currently use Mission Planner as you can plan the flight taking into account (automatically) the height of the terrain.

I also found a way to export the mission from Mission Planner and import it into Litchi ;)

Hi, I have used Litchi to fly waypoint missions for photos/videos and am interested in using it to acquire images to use in PhotoScan for 3D modelling. I have experience with Mission Planner—how do you export the Mission Planner missions to use with the Litchi App, exactly? Thank you in advance.

Hi, I have used Litchi to fly waypoint missions for photos/videos and am interested in using it to acquire images to use in PhotoScan for 3D modelling. I have experience with Mission Planner—how do you export the Mission Planner missions to use with the Litchi App, exactly? Thank you in advance.
Once you have the coordinates of your waypoints you can do copy/paste them on a .csv file and then import it into the Litchi online portal to have the mission ready to be loaded on your tablet ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen