Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Had another idea should the campaign resume. What about putting the DJI logo in the middle of this roulette wheel, with a tag line something like "With the DJI Phantom, you never know which way will be North..."

Attachments

• roulette.png
    roulette.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 380
I've read through this entire thread but didn't see anything on this topic unless I missed it. Any possible explanation for why the magnetic declination only affects some of the Vision/Vision+ models? I've personally had a total of 4 (1 vision, 3 V+) and just one of the 4 has the defect (classic j hook symptoms well described in this thread), despite being flown in the same area and in the same time span. I'm in Northern California in a 13 degree area. It seems that some models are able to compensate for the magnetic declination and some are not. Any theories on why?

Damon said:
Add one more to the list of J hook. Yakima Wa. USA
Don't expect a fix for months or never for the J hook and TBE. I'll probably sell off all my crappy DJI stuff it's a screwed up company

ToddSmi said:
I've read through this entire thread but didn't see anything on this topic unless I missed it. Any possible explanation for why the magnetic declination only affects some of the Vision/Vision+ models? I've personally had a total of 4 (1 vision, 3 V+) and just one of the 4 has the defect (classic j hook symptoms well described in this thread), despite being flown in the same area and in the same time span. I'm in Northern California in a 13 degree area. It seems that some models are able to compensate for the magnetic declination and some are not. Any theories on why?

We have had reports in the past from people who thought they didn't have the problem and it turned out to be that the way they fly the P2 didn't reveal the issue as clearly as for others. In other words, they didn't notice it but it was still likely there. I would suggest anyone who has a P2 (any variant) that believes it isn't impacted by this issue to perform the specific tests outlined in this thread and record and post video of it.

ianwood said:
We have had reports in the past from people who thought they didn't have the problem and it turned out to be that the way they fly the P2 didn't reveal the issue as clearly as for others. In other words, they didn't notice it but it was still likely there. I would suggest anyone who has a P2 (any variant) that believes it isn't impacted by this issue to perform the specific tests outlined in this thread and record and post video of it.

I was one of those people. I have found that I can compensate adequately for this error in the flying I do. However, if you are a person who likes to simply push/pull on the right stick you will notice the error to a greater degree. It is also a bit harder to compensate for when flying using just the FPV on the phone/tablet. When within visual range I find it very easy to control.

****.. any concrete realese for this issue, been a while now..?!

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

SilentAV8R said:
I was one of those people. I have found that I can compensate adequately for this error in the flying I do. However, if you are a person who likes to simply push/pull on the right stick you will notice the error to a greater degree. It is also a bit harder to compensate for when flying using just the FPV on the phone/tablet. When within visual range I find it very easy to control.
Yes, it is possible to compensate but it is impossible for that not to be noticeable in video when you are trying to get smooth and straight shots. I am not exactly a virtuoso, but I have learned to compensate around the hook after numerous flights coping with it. But that compensation no matter how smoothly I try to apply it, shows up in shot after shot after shot. It is also extra workload to make sure you're not going to hook into something when in close quarters and FPV only helps so much if you can't get the right perspective from the ground. That is more about the abundance of caution than skill level.

Erwan said:
How are you going to fly if it is made of concrete?

@ianwood i mean any official schedule for the fixing release from Dji been looking several time tothe post and seems still needing to wait quite a long time..

ianwood said:
SilentAV8R said:
Yes, it is possible to compensate but it is impossible for that not to be noticeable in video when you are trying to get smooth and straight shots. I am not exactly a virtuoso, but I have learned to compensate around the hook after numerous flights coping with it. But that compensation no matter how smoothly I try to apply it, shows up in shot after shot after shot. It is also extra workload to make sure you're not going to hook into something when in close quarters and FPV only helps so much if you can't get the right perspective from the ground. That is more about the abundance of caution than skill level.

Erwan said:
How are you going to fly if it is made of concrete?

I agree, and...
I believe Course Lock is the most obvious expression of the problem. I guess you could carry a protractor and offset the Phantom heading at startup but you can't compensate for the course lock error with piloting skills and still consider it of any value. You just have to wait until the effect has been washed out and then reset Course Lock.

Erwan said:
@ianwood i mean any official schedule for the fixing release from Dji been looking several time tothe post and seems still needing to wait quite a long time..

I know. I was joking with you. DJI hasn't given me any dates throughout this whole process. That said, they are overdue for giving us the second beta which they indicated was pretty much ready last week. So we're gearing up for another media blitz next week if we don't get something soon.

Thanks ianwood sounds good and even better if it's asap. Keep waiting...as usual to fly again straighr forward:)

ianwood said:
ToddSmi said:

Ya, I understand where you are coming from...hearing someone say it and seeing evidence are two different things. I'll have to go back and see if I have representative video footage of the "non-defective" models to illustrate my point of straight line flying without stick compensation being possible on these 3 models. From my point of view, I can assure you that there is a significant difference in what would happen when I would fly these copters forward and let go of the sticks vs. what happens on my newest "defective" copter. The 3 copters simply didn't have the magnetic declination issue, or if they did, it was so small as to not be noticed by me despite being in a 13 degree area and despite doing some aerial filming that required precision at times.

I am extremely grateful for the work you and others have done in researching and getting to the root of this problem :) , and I'm not trying to say the magnetic declination problem is not widespread...rather I'm just offering anecdotal evidence that in my experience, some copters seem to be effected by the problem and some don't, all other things being equal. Of course my sample size is only 4...so take it for what it's worth. If I can find relevant video to share to illustrate my point I will, but I'm not optimistic because I am only in possession of 1 copter so can't recreate the tests that would really be necessary to conclusively prove to another person what I am saying. So you will probably just have to take my word for it and add as an additional data point or reject altogether :)

nintendrone64 said:
Might help you before buying your Phantom!

Magnegtic Declination: Geomagnetic Calculator!
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination

I think for any renewed campaign, changing the existing graphic map of the world from "no fly zones" to "Don't Buy DJI Zones" would be more likely to get DJI's attention and send the message that we can make this about their bottom line if nothing else works.

Just to give more power to the discussion, Im a P2Z owner flying in São Paulo - Brazil, and im experiencing the same issues as you guys, J padrom when flying, it goes to the right when flying straight and when flying backwards to the left.

Lets hope for the guys in DJI fix this soon because its almost impossible to flight the quad in GPS mode, what a shame!

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing