Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

idea for demonstration

If someone has time, go on a windless morning to your local school running track and try and fly straight following the running lane markers. If you can have a second camera shooting the Phantom while the Phantom's camera points almost straight down, I think you will get some dramatic examples of the issue.

I'm leaving the country on Tuesday, otherwise I would do it. I'm in New England and have moderate issues. Nothing I can't fly around, but it is annoying when attempting to follow moving subjects that are traveling in a straight line (like a boat).

They'll figure it out eventually.

Re: idea for demonstration

doug86 said:
If someone has time, go on a windless morning to your local school running track and try and fly straight following the running lane markers. If you can have a second camera shooting the Phantom while the Phantom's camera points almost straight down, I think you will get some dramatic examples of the issue.

I'm leaving the country on Tuesday, otherwise I would do it. I'm in New England and have moderate issues. Nothing I can't fly around, but it is annoying when attempting to follow moving subjects that are traveling in a straight line (like a boat).

They'll figure it out eventually.

I have seen at least three VERY good, multiple camera, videos illustrating the problem(s).

Do we need more?

Re: idea for demonstration

N017RW said:
I have seen at least three VERY good, multiple camera, videos illustrating the problem(s).

Do we need more?

Actually, yes. I'd like to see several more. Then we're going to post them all over the place including DJI's Twitter, FB, you name it. Put them anywhere people can see them.

Agreed. Good video that summarizes perfectly the issue. phantomwiki, if you look back up a few posts before yours, you'll see we're about to kick off a social media blitz to put pressure on DJI. Your video is a good fit. I was wondering if you could change the title and add a description to the video so people can find it more easily. Include "DJI Phantom 2 Compass Problem" in the title and the description. Mention that it is a compass problem related to magnetic declination. And include this short URL so people can find more information: http://www.ianwood.com/drunkensparrow.asp

As mentioned above, unplugging the compass will not work but as you are in an area of extreme magnetic declination, take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15953 and here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15963.

Thank you to everyone who has helped. I have updated the description in my video.

Should we post to Facebook, Twitter, Our websites, and all other avenues now or wait for the coordinated approach. I think people on DJI's Facebook page should be educated about this and links posted to the forum and the magnetic declination no fly zone image.

after repeatedly testing version 3.04, recalibrating the compass as usual even with a magnet, finally decided to downgrade to version 1.08 which seems the most stable so far.

KassioLM said:
after repeatedly testing version 3.04, recalibrating the compass as usual even with a magnet, finally decided to downgrade to version 1.08 which seems the most stable so far.
where can one get 1.08? I want to try

I've noticed very little difference (if any) between 1.08 and 3.02 with respect to the compass issue. Stability and general performance also seem to be unchanged.

KassioLM said:
Andy T said:
KassioLM said:
where can one get 1.08? I want to try

you need to use an old software assistant
http://droneslinger.com/software.html
Cool thanks.. I did find the old version too and tried it,,, no difference other than much faster decent,, thanks guys

Yes, I tried rolling back to V1.08 and could see no difference either from V3.04 apart from decent rates.

The hook and other issues are still there.

I am having the same problem since the upgrade. My phantom is wandering and will not fly straight. I am in Washington state.
I have calibrated it several times with the same results.

flying hero said:
I am having the same problem since the upgrade. My phantom is wandering and will not fly straight. I am in Washington state.
I have calibrated it several times with the same results.

What version were you using?

im from sydney, Australia.
have the exact same problem
1) When you attempt to fly straight front (camera facing front) it flies slightly off-course left to the centre line and take a U- turn before stopping
2) When you attempt to fly straight back (camera facing towards me) it flies slightly off-course right to the centre line and take a U- turn before stopping

Who else is going to prepare some videos and/or images for our social media blitz later this week? C'mon people! Take that frustration and put it to work!

ianwood said:
Who else is going to prepare some videos and/or images for our social media blitz later this week? C'mon people! Take that frustration and put it to work!

sorry i missed something... what exactly is the game plan ?

d4ddyo said:
sorry i missed something... what exactly is the game plan ?

Below is the message I posted on it this weekend. Long and short of it is a bunch of us need to make some content and then we get everyone to spread it far and wide. I'll be posting up more specific details tonight or tomorrow but I would like to get an idea of who is up for creating a video or some images. And everyone should copy my avatar.

ianwood said:
Project Drunken Sparrow will kick-off next week if there is no news from DJI between now and then. I want as many people as possible to create content: videos, images... songs, poetry, etc. And then I want everyone to post them all over the Internet!

They need to be informative, unemotional, quick and to the point. Humor is good if it works. They should summarize and/or demonstrate an aspect of the problem in an easy to understand way. The idea is to inform potential buyers who aren't familiar with the Phantom 2 of the issue. The content should provide a link to the short URL I've provided below. Optional to use the QR code as well.

I pulled this one together today:

Click it for the larger version. Let's get a head start... Feel free to start posting this one everywhere. Just make sure to use the URL below which takes them to this thread (I can change it to something else later):

URL:
http://www.ianwood.com/drunkensparrow.asp

QR code:
chart

PNG logo:
drunken-sparrow.png

I will be starting a new thread next week when we officially kick it off.

d4ddyo said:
Make a FB page specifically for this and invite everyone

DJI will never see it. We need to post in all the places people look online before they buy. DJI on FB, DJI on Twitter, DJI on Instagram, product review sites, blogs, forums, etc. That is what DJI will care about most. Put it where perspective buyers are browsing and then their tone will change. But it has to be images and videos. Everything else gets buried.

ianwood said:
d4ddyo said:
Make a FB page specifically for this and invite everyone

DJI will never see it. We need to post in all the places people look online before they buy. DJI on FB, DJI on Twitter, DJI on Instagram, product review sites, blogs, forums, etc. That is what DJI will care about most. Put it where perspective buyers are browsing and then their tone will change. But it has to be images and videos. Everything else gets buried.

Nothing to do with DJI... it's to keep us organized as we grow. just link more and more videos etc out there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart