Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

May I suggest downgrading/upgrading? Here are detailed and accurate instructions:

Instructions for downgrading from Phantom 2 Assistant PT2 2.00 or PT2 3.0 to Phantom 2 Assistant PT2 1.08 using MS Windows:

1. Download and install PT2 version 1.08 from http://droneslinger.com/software or any other location where you can find it.
2. Start PT2 program
3. Plug mini-USB cable into the port on the front of the Phantom
4. Plug USB end of the mini-USB cable into computer
5. Turn on the remote control of the Phantom. (It is not necessary to turn on the range extender.)
5a. Power on the Phantom
6. Phantom will connect to PT2 program
7. If you see a pop-out screen that says that version 3.0 is now available, click the “Close” button on that screen.
8. The “upgrade” tab of the PT2 software should be the one that you see in front of you.
9. On the right side of that screen near the top of that screen you will see “Latest version: 1.08”. Click on it!
10. A pop-out screen will show that says: “Firmware Upgrade” at the top. Below that you’ll find “Device Name: Main Controller Current version: 2.0 (or 3.0) Upgrade to: 1.08”
Below the black screen is: “Download successfully! Refresh.” (There is no need to click on Refresh). Below that are two boxes, “Upgrade” and “Exit”.
11. Click on “Upgrade”.
12. Click “Yes” on the warning screen that comes up.
13. When upgrade complete, turn Phantom battery off, then back on again.
14. Make all adjustments, calibrations, etc.
15. Turn off Phantom
16. Turn off remote control
17. Disconnect mini-USB cable from Phantom
18. Close PT2 program

d4ddyo said:
If you are following the issue the problem exists in all Versions.
Just my opinion: the problem does not exist in versions of the Phantom 2 Assistant prior to version 2.00. I use version 1.08 and am very happy with it!

Bigbells said:
d4ddyo said:
If you are following the issue the problem exists in all Versions.
Just my opinion: the problem does not exist in versions of the Phantom 2 Assistant prior to version 2.00. I use version 1.08 and am very happy with it!

Documented: Read all the threads. Exists across all versions.

Andy T said:
I have the drifting problem as well so have been watching this thread and trying to figure out what the solution might be and I came across this interesting tidbit,

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ode_Flight

It is not straight forward on the phantom to turn the gps. I opened mine up and discovered my GPS sensor was cracked.

On the Naza M when you rotate the puck you are also rotating the compass and that is standard practice for the Naza with the puck.

I have mentioned this before but for some update.
I rotated the compass about 20-25 deg and it eliminated the bad toiletbowl effect. I have had several flights now and don not see it changing during a flight. It did eliminate the jhooking also.

Tom

tom3holer said:
I have mentioned this before but for some update.
I rotated the compass about 20-25 deg and it eliminated the bad toiletbowl effect. I have had several flights now and don not see it changing during a flight. It did eliminate the jhooking also.

Tom

yeah. and when the software self corrects you are back to the same mess.

Bigbells said:
May I suggest downgrading/upgrading? Here are detailed and accurate instructions:

Instructions for downgrading from Phantom 2 Assistant PT2 2.00 or PT2 3.0 to Phantom 2 Assistant PT2 1.08 using MS Windows:

1. Download and install PT2 version 1.08 from http://droneslinger.com/software or any other location where you can find it.
2. Start PT2 program
3. Plug mini-USB cable into the port on the front of the Phantom
4. Plug USB end of the mini-USB cable into computer
5. Turn on the remote control of the Phantom. (It is not necessary to turn on the range extender.)
5a. Power on the Phantom
6. Phantom will connect to PT2 program
7. If you see a pop-out screen that says that version 3.0 is now available, click the “Close” button on that screen.
8. The “upgrade” tab of the PT2 software should be the one that you see in front of you.
9. On the right side of that screen near the top of that screen you will see “Latest version: 1.08”. Click on it!
10. A pop-out screen will show that says: “Firmware Upgrade” at the top. Below that you’ll find “Device Name: Main Controller Current version: 2.0 (or 3.0) Upgrade to: 1.08”
Below the black screen is: “Download successfully! Refresh.” (There is no need to click on Refresh). Below that are two boxes, “Upgrade” and “Exit”.
11. Click on “Upgrade”.
12. Click “Yes” on the warning screen that comes up.
13. When upgrade complete, turn Phantom battery off, then back on again.
14. Make all adjustments, calibrations, etc.
15. Turn off Phantom
16. Turn off remote control
17. Disconnect mini-USB cable from Phantom
18. Close PT2 program

Is that for the P2 Vision only or will it work with the P2 ?
When I go to the site it says P2 Vusion

Image of my compass, rotated approx. 20 degrees.. I have a 17+ declination here.. Cleared up the major TBE, and left drift.. Used a bit of silicone to keep compass solid, and to stop screws from loosening. Note: when I calibrate, I do the normal horizontal dance, but when I do the vertical, I hold the one side lower, so the long flat edge of the compass is parallel to the ground.

[img][/img]

obiwan_pierogi said:
Image of my compass, rotated approx. 20 degrees.. I have a 17+ declination here.. Cleared up the major TBE, and left drift.. Used a bit of silicone to keep compass solid, and to stop screws from loosening.

[img][/img]

OK... run the test towards the end of your run. You'll get a reverse J-hook.

But I prefer to have the copter running better at the beginning.. As I mentioned before, most of my flights are less than 5 minutes long.. So, If it takes 5 min. of flying for the unit to start to self-correct, then my flights will see the majority of the time in the air, without drift or toilet bowl effect.. The thing is, I tried the copter like this, then switched back.. The copter was awful with the compass in the proper position.. At least now I can rotate on the axis, without having the copter head straight into the toilet bowl effect..

obiwan_pierogi said:
But I prefer to have the copter running better at the beginning.. As I mentioned before, most of my flights are less than 5 minutes long.. So, If it takes 5 min. of flying for the unit to start to self-correct, then my flights will see the majority of the time in the air, without drift or toilet bowl effect.. The thing is, I tried the copter like this, then switched back.. The copter was awful with the compass in the proper position.. At least now I can rotate on the axis, without having the copter head straight into the toilet bowl effect..

Most of us want to be able to use GPS mode, CL mode, or HL mode and it track properly for the 25 min.... otherwise i would have bought a $500 Quad.

Well what are you going to do? Until DJI comes out with a fix, I prefer to fly my copter where I at least have some control.. Even before, when I was flying for 10 minutes, the improvements were only marginal.. And the copter never flew in the direction it was pointed.. It always skewed off to the left.. probably 60 feet, over 300 feet.. If you check out my video on the "major toilet bowl effect" thread, you'll see how rotten the control was.. I'm still wondering if I have a faulty electronic part, but DJI's service policy totally sucks..

yeah... i'm glad 5 min flights work for you. I've basically been flying in ATT mode after I launch and switching later to other modes as needed after it stabilizes... I really want to be able to use CL mode.

It's possible that I have done as much reading as anyone regarding these quad control issues. In addition, I've used 4 different versions of firmware on my Phantom 2 quads, including both 2.0 and 3.0.

I firmly believe that Phantom 2 Assistant versions 2.0 and 3.0 have a programming error, and that version 1.08 does not have this error.
My suggestion regarding version 1.08 is: try it! You just might like it! If not, you can always go back to version 2.0 or 3.0 if your experience is different from mine.

The above is my honest opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not trying to claim that I know more than anyone else. I just want to share that I've found a solution that works for me.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the firmware updates designed to eliminate such things as flyaways? Maybe there's a greater risk of using the old firmware, as opposed to rotating the compass to correct the problems, as I have..

Add me to the list as well please. I am SLC Utah. I am still on 1.8 firmware, with Futaba 14sg controller. I plan to get detailed readings, re read this forum to test some of the ideas, and let people know about results. I appreciate all the input everyone has added, thank you.

obiwan_pierogi said:
I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the firmware updates designed to eliminate such things as flyaways? Maybe there's a greater risk of using the old firmware, as opposed to rotating the compass to correct the problems, as I have..

They addressed one type of flyaway. The compass is still a pretty big source for them and probably will be for some time.

Glad to see rotating the compass has given you some relief. You're actually not fully corrected. You have to go double the declination to get arrow straight on takeoff. But what you have is probably best as you won't get the full over-correction at the end of the flight which is equally if not more annoying than having it at the beginning. I also get nervous when I see a compass pointing so far from forward as it has to have other implications.

I say 20 degrees, but after looking at the picture I posted here, I'm probably close to the double declination.. I would think you may run into greater difficulties if you attempt to do the compass calibration as you would with it being in the factory set position.. As it is, I calibrate, based on compass position, not copter position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka