Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

I don't think the consumers should be fixing their phantoms by rotating the compass , this is giving DJI less pressure to quickly fix the problem . People should be complaining more and more and I don't see that. Nothing is being said on Facebook , RC Groups and other forums except for this one. I've talked about it on Facebook and the people on there knew nothing of this problem, they seemed not to even care.
Just my opinion

The part where you need to post what we already know just to get your 2 cents in because you think it's going to help. It's a band-aid that has been over done.

Lenny7118 said:
I don't think the consumers should be fixing their phantoms by rotating the compass , this is giving DJI less pressure to quickly fix the problem . People should be complaining more and more and I don't see that. Nothing is being said on Facebook , RC Groups and other forums except for this one. I've talked about it on Facebook and the people on there knew nothing of this problem, they seemed not to even care.
Just my opinion

exactly. something that is more productive.

d4ddyo said:
Lenny7118 said:
Just my opinion

If you don't like my opinion than don't keep talking about the problem because many many others and many many other forums aren't even focusing on the problem.

Lenny7118 said:
d4ddyo said:
Lenny7118 said:
Just my opinion

If you don't like my opinion than don't keep talking about the problem because many many others and many many other forums aren't even focusing on the problem.

ummm... are you nuts? I'm agreeing with you. LOL. I'm tired of seeing people that have to re-post some crap about rotating a compass when it's obvious it won't work as intended. They have to get their 2 seconds of fame and say they are helping get data to the developers. right....

d4ddyo said:
The part where you need to post what we already know just to get your 2 cents in because you think it's going to help. It's a band-aid that has been over done.

If you took time to follow the thread you would've noticed I already expressed this exact opinion:

landonkk wrote:

"Thanks for the tip but for those of us with the new H3-3D gimbal reverting back to 1.08 kills it. Everyone appreciates the suggestions to rotate the compass and to revert to earlier firmware but lets be clear...

The purpose of this thread is to get DJI to fix the problem at it's root cause. It is intended to confirm the issue and narrow down the cause. These "slap some tape on it" fixes don't really solve the issue."

The purpose of my post was not to 'get two seconds of fame' but to prove my point... which is ironically, your point. LOL. And if I wanted any sort of fame I would post somewhere with more than about 100 active users.

landonkk said:
I am going to self-test the manual compass correction. I am planning on it overcorrecting as the flight goes on because everything I know about this issue leads me to believe that result, but i would like to see it for myself. Since I have three P2's it is easy to 'fiddle' with my P2Vision and document the results. I shall report back my findings.....

Dude... are you high? so you want to repeat it yourself so that you can find out for yourself so you can report to us YOUR findings. Ummmm... OK. That's productive and helping the developers.

d4ddyo said:
landonkk said:
I am going to self-test the manual compass correction. I am planning on it overcorrecting as the flight goes on because everything I know about this issue leads me to believe that result, but i would like to see it for myself. Since I have three P2's it is easy to 'fiddle' with my P2Vision and document the results. I shall report back my findings.....

Dude... are you high? so you want to repeat it yourself so that you can find out for yourself so you can report to us YOUR findings. Ummmm... OK. That's productive and helping the developers.

First off I'm not your Dude and Never write were it's on file and documented that your saying I'm "High" also I don't need any fame.
And don't call me nuts for posting an opinion.
You never know whom you are writing to.

Lenny7118 said:
d4ddyo said:
landonkk said:

First off I'm not your Dude and Never write were it's on file and documented that your saying I'm "High" also I don't need any fame.
And don't call me nuts for posting an opinion.
You never know whom you are writing to.

Hahaha. Ok kid. I honestly was writing figuratively... Not literally. And I domt care if you were the President of whatever country you are from. You are contradictory based on what you just posted.

You should watch what you write and I'm not a kid. You would care if it was the president of the USA and you get a knock on your door from the secret service.

Lenny7118 said:
You should watch what you write and I'm not a kid. You would care if it was the president of the USA and you get a knock on your door from the secret service.
Hahaha. Ok. Wouldn't happen buddy. Either way ... The president of the US wouldn't get as offended as you and I can tell you President Obama is much more intelligent to contradict himself like you. So I can guarantee that there really isn't any consequence especially since you are taking me literally instead of figuratively (I'm assuming you understand the difference). Either way back to the subject in hand.

Back to the subject. Posting quick fixes... Hardware adjustments is not what we need. What they are looking for as per the postings on "beta testers to fix compass issue" :

Beta testers,

It appears to tests we've been asked to do might not reveal the full extent of the issue. We may need to do some more tests to demonstrate the full extent of the issue. I have contacted Terry and Zach about it and waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I am going to suggest the following test to run. The .DAT file will be about 45Mb so put it on Dropbox or Google Drive and send me a link. Note the file will reveal your flying location. I will try not to stalk you!

Use firmware 2.00 or 3.00. Make sure it works before running this test.
Perform IMU advanced calibration, make sure compass mod value is OK.
Identify a flying area free of granite or other potential magnetic material.
Perform compass calibration.
Start up and hover for 15 or more seconds.
Fly forward 20-30ft at a reasonable pace and then release. Allow Phantom to hook, drift and/or TBE. Try to let it come to a stop on its own if possible.
Fly backward the same distance and again allow the Phantom to settle on it's own if possible.
Fly the Phantom as you would normally for 4 minutes.
Repeat steps 5 and 6.
Fly the Phantom as you would normally for another 4 minutes.
Repeat steps 5 and 6.
Land, shut down and then download the data from the Mark II OSD.

Thanks,

Ian

Please post there your data and findings. Anything else is futile.

OK guys. Deep breaths. We all want DJI to fix this. I think everyone is impatient for a fix as am I. They are looking at it and we're going to make sure they keep on doing so until we have a real solution.

We've sent them data and will be sending more. They need time to figure it out. If people want to try rotating their compass for themselves in the meantime that's fine but DJI themselves don't recommend it for the Phantom and many of us have seen the issues that it brings up. It does help but it isn't the solution. The only thing I ask is I do not want data from rotated compasses sent to DJI as it will only confuse matters.

I feel weird flying my copter with the compass turned almost a quarter way round the leg, but I have to admit since doing that I've had the best control of my rig since new.. And without experiencing any toilet bowl effect.. It makes me wonder though.. Are the problems we've been having indicative of just a small percentage of vision 2 owners? Or to put it another way: Are the vast majority flying their units without experiencing any problems?
I'm still wondering if our problems are a result of having a malfunctioning electronic part.. A friend, from a few hundred miles away, bought his copter just after myself.. His compass is in the factory setting, yet he has no toilet bowl effect.. In fact.. His copter rotates on its axis, as if it was positioned on the top of a solid pole.. If I went to rotate my copter, it would instantly go into the ever increasing TBE, as seen on my posted video here.

obiwan_pierogi said:
I feel weird flying my copter with the compass turned almost a quarter way round the leg, but I have to admit since doing that I've had the best control of my rig since new.. And without experiencing any toilet bowl effect.. It makes me wonder though.. Are the problems we've been having indicative of just a small percentage of vision 2 owners? Or to put it another way: Are the vast majority flying their units without experiencing any problems?
I'm still wondering if our problems are a result of having a malfunctioning electronic part.. A friend, from a few hundred miles away, bought his copter just after myself.. His compass is in the factory setting, yet he has no toilet bowl effect.. In fact.. His copter rotates on its axis, as if it was positioned on the top of a solid pole.. If I went to rotate my copter, it would instantly go into the ever increasing TBE, as seen on my posted video here.

well finally... a question that makes sense. I don't know. Go test both of yours side by side. same place with same firmware revision. Now that would be a test to see the results. Or swap your phantoms and test. I didn't notice the effect til I was made aware of it and ran similar tests that they are requesting.

From all the reports so far, I am very confident this defect is in 100% of P2x units. Whether or not you experience the problem has to do with where you fly. The same Phantom has been flown in India (low declination) with no issues and in NZ (high declination) with significant issues. People have returned their Phantoms and were sent new ones only to find they did the same exact thing. People on the West coast hook left, in the Northeast it's to the right.

I will say that some people notice it more than others. I fly in tight areas to film shots that I want lined up just right so I notice it a lot. Others who do mostly distance flying might not notice it much at all.

ianwood said:
From all the reports so far, I am very confident this defect is in 100% of P2x units. Whether or not you experience the problem has to do with where you fly. The same Phantom has been flown in India (low declination) with no issues and in NZ (high declination) with significant issues. People have returned their Phantoms and were sent new ones only to find they did the same exact thing. People on the West coast hook left, in the Northeast it's to the right.

I will say that some people notice it more than others. I fly in tight areas to film shots that I want lined up just right so I notice it a lot. Others who do mostly distance flying might not notice it much at all.

So it's confirmed that the same exact Phantom that was having a problem in NZ flew in India without an issue? I mean I see what DJI is trying to beta test. They are ruling out the possibilities of highly magnetized areas that are local first. but it would be interesting to test if the exact J-hooking compass problem one doesn't have an issue in low declination areas and vice versa.

d4ddyo said:
well finally... a question that makes sense. I don't know. Go test both of yours side by side. same place with same firmware revision. Now that would be a test to see the results. Or swap your phantoms and test. I didn't notice the effect til I was made aware of it and ran similar tests that they are requesting.
I have 2 P2 and did that test and both had the j hook. I also upgraded one to the new 2.0 firmware and it did the same thing.

C-Mac13 said:
d4ddyo said:
I have 2 P2 and did that test and both had the j hook. I also upgraded one to the new 2.0 firmware and it did the same thing.

Having 2 that j-hook under same conditions is not the same unless you can go to a place with one of your P2s and show it j-hook where someone else did not have an issue with J Hook. It would rule out magnetic interference due to the location.

obiwan_pierogi said:

I have three P2's (Vision, an early produced P2 2/ H3-2D, and a new P2 w/ H3-3D). All of them show identical j-hook problems. I'm not sure what the scale of severity for the higher a declination is (is -14 10x worse than -13? or 100%? etc...) but my j-hooking problems are so severe that anybody would notice it. That is why I was upset that I wasn't chosen for the testing because I know for sure my results would be extreme. I hope the beta testers include persons in high declination areas.

I am going to fly in the Los Angeles area this weekend (100 miles south), and I bet the severity of the effect will be different, if only slightly. So it is possible that a friend 200 miles away could have no noticeable effect.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West