First Time Using a Drone

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am purchasing my first drone, specifically the P3A. I have no experience flying a drone, but having been doing a lot of research via YouTube and on this website. Is there anything I should know specifically as a first time user? If there is any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen some horror stories on some threads, and I am HOPING this will not happen to me haha..

Hello all,

I am purchasing my first drone, specifically the P3A. I have no experience flying a drone, but having been doing a lot of research via YouTube and on this website. Is there anything I should know specifically as a first time user? If there is any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen some horror stories on some threads, and I am HOPING this will not happen to me haha..
The P3A is a really good machine and ideal to learn on as well for serious use later.
When you get it you'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Reactions: Jonathan Grantham
Hello all,

Welcome to the forum. Its good to hear that you've already been reading about Phantoms. You should have a great head start.

If you are interested, the link below leads to some tips that I like to share with new P3A and P3P owners. It may not all make sense to you immediately, so maybe read it a couple of times now and then again after you've flown a bit. Good luck!

Soon to be new owner phantom 3 advanced

Get familiar with the return to home function, set it's altitude above all local objects before flight. And enjoy!!

Welcome. Most important thing have fun ! Trees stay away from trees.
I have included a little video on my first flight where I heard my batt low warning and did not know to cancel and tried to land not soon enough. RTH took over and well you'll see.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

And not to belabor a point, read the manual then charge the battery and remote.vwhile they are charging, read the manual again. Yes, it really is that important. Decide which phone or tablet you are going to use with your bird and download the DJI Go app appropriate for your device. Both android and iOS versions are available. Once you have everything ready to go, connect the remote (RC) to the phone/tablet through the USB port below the antenna. At first, leave the propellers off and fire everything up including the app. The first thing you will need to do is to go online through the Go app, set up your DJI account and register your drone. You won't be able to fly it until you do. Once registered, go through the start up procedure and the motors should turn on. At this point, you should be getting messages about being ready to fly, etc. if everything looks ok, shut things down and install the props following the directions in the manual. Now you are ready to go out and try your first flight. Good luck.
Now, don't worry right away about updating any firmware. It's reasonable to assume that the bird worked ok when it was shipped so just fly it for a while getting used to it and getting experience with it. After a bit, you can check on which firmware versions you have and how to do any upgrades if required.

and hopefully someone here has mentioned ....READ THE MANUAL. (Joke)
Yes, please, please read the manual.
You may find the training mode is helpful. Also some have bought a cheap $10 quad to bounce around while learning controls.
Ive been in RC since we had strings attaching them....lol yes line controlled planes from the 70s. This is 1 of the most advanced RC crafts and yet one of the easiest to learn. Just dont rush.

Good luck and Welcome

Welcome Jonathon. Where are you located? It might do no harm to try and hook up with a few other fliers - I found a small group that were very helpful (even though I had been flying for over two years) and we assist and help each other out with various projects.

My advice would be to find a big open space, place a few markers in a set pattern and try to fly over to them and stop above them. cardboard boxes with a few stones in them are ideal. Once you have mastered that, try to do figure of eights. Remember, if it all goes wrong, take your hands off the controls and let it settle - this will give you time to think. Remember that flying nose in back towards you will mean the controls are reversed.

Eventually you will become proficient. For me the biggest learning curve was finding the balls not to look at the aircraft, but to look directly at the screen. Once you can do that, you're on a winner.

Oh, and as everyone else has said, avoid trees.

Jonathan, only reason we are boring this in your head about the manual is because 'most' (not all) FAQ's are found in the manual. It will decrease the amount of questions you would come here to find and it may save you a couple crashes down the road because you knew what to do. But still, these guys are top notch and know their sh**! Don't be afraid to ask anything no matter how silly u may think it is. They are here to help!!! Good luck to ya!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello Jonathan. Welcome to the forum. Read the manual.. then.. read the manual. Take a break then.. read the manual. And I probably should mention.. read the manual! [emoji16]

Once you've done that, watch the DJI unpacking video with good ol' Ty and following that, and then the introduction videos. Then you can open the box and checkout the AC and RC. Then you need to read the manual again.... then watch the videos again.... you get the drift. I didn't unpack our P3A for three weeks. I was petrified too, but preparation is everything. And it's all about prep before each and every flight too. The last thing anyone on this great site wants to hear you've lost / crashed / destroyed your P3A. Good luck and above all, enjoy your piloting!

Last edited:
Jonathan, only reason we are boring this in your head about the manual is because 'most' (not all) FAQ's are found in the manual. It will decrease the amount of questions you would come here to find and it may save you a couple crashes down the road because you knew what to do. But still, these guys are top notch and know their sh**! Don't be afraid to ask anything no matter how silly u may think it is. They are here to help!!! Good luck to ya!

Especially the three pages on RTH. Knowing this info can and will save your bird. And as Johnny said, when in doubt...ASK!

Good luck & Fly Safe ! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My first advice, which was mentioned briefly - be sure your RTH (return to home) altitude is set high enough to fly over any obstacles on it's way home. Make sure RTH is set to "return to homepoint" and not "hover" or "land". All three are RTH options. Fly out a couple hundred yards and practice using RTH so you can become familiar with it, and know how to cancel it and retake control if desired.

I'm not sure if the advanced has CSC, but if it does, understand what it is, and (in my humble opinion) Never use it to shut down your motors after landing, even if the manual says you can!!

Have fun! It's not difficult at all; just take the proper precautions!

You guys should have mentioned- READ THE MANUAL!
Seriously, tho, I see questions posted by new flyers that hint- This guy hasn't read a word about the use of a Phantom
Another thing I think is important, once you get a hang of the above points & your comfortable with the control sticks, in a wide open area, switch her to ATT. mode & fly her, ATT gives the flyer full manual control, Practice flying in ATT mode because the time will come, when, for various reasons, you will have to fly her manually. And if & when ATT mode flashes up on your monitor, you do not want this to be your first time!

I would never buy a Phantom as my first drone personally but that's just me. I learned on various toy grade units from Cheerson, Dromida and a rather awesome little Hubsan 501s !!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT