First Time Using a Drone

Buy a carbon fibre gamble guard.
Buy a latex cover for your controller.
Buy a hard backpack carry case.
Buy a spare battery.
Buy some spare props.
Buy some propeller guards.
Learn how to upgrade the firmware.
Have fun in an open space for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone
Phantom 3 Advanced Pilot

I would never buy a Phantom as my first drone personally but that's just me. I learned on various toy grade units from Cheerson, Dromida and a rather awesome little Hubsan 501s !!
1481221379303.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Kidding

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Grantham
Greetings & welcome.
I also started with an M-tech sky sport, and Hubsan 502 before the Phantom, gave me a bit of a start. My problem was my phone is crap and the FPV was not good at all. Had to use RTH as lost orientation, but it s all good fun.
Enjoy

I would never buy a Phantom as my first drone personally but that's just me. I learned on various toy grade units from Cheerson, Dromida and a rather awesome little Hubsan 501s !!

I did the same but in retrospect I should've just bought my P3A first and saved the time, hastle and money. I've flown everything from helis to dynamic soaring sailplanes in the past so I had a heads up already but someone with zero flying experience I would say that's sound advice.

I had a Hubsan 501s too but while flying nicely that thing had more jello than Bill Cosby along with a blurry out of focus left side of the lens. Basically an overpriced toy, sent it back and picked up my Phantom instead. Best move ever.

Last edited:
Greetings & welcome.
I also started with an M-tech sky sport, and Hubsan 502 before the Phantom, gave me a bit of a start. My problem was my phone is crap and the FPV was not good at all. Had to use RTH as lost orientation, but it s all good fun.
Enjoy
Map fly back, arrow icon of drone shows orientation back to you.

Reactions: grin factor
Read the manual as mentioned above, word for word making sure you FULLY understand everything before use. You did the right thing by reading before you buy. I did the same thing on this forum reading around and sucking in all the info I could like a sponge before getting my first phantom 3 advanced. I'm super happy with it I must say.

The phantom 3 is a very user friendly first timer drone. It's in readable stable in the air and gps along with its other sensors work very good. Just try not to rely on the sensors for everything, cuz if you ever encounter a problem the only thing that is gonna get you out of the situation us yourself. Make sure you read the first time guides online cuz there is a ton of useful information.

Make sure you understand the compass fully and its calibration process, when to do it an when not to calibrate.. Make sure you never set up flight near any trees or buildings. Make sure you set your return to home height properly, in that the drone isn't going to run into any trees or buildings if Rth is pressed.

If i read the manual and don't understand does it still counted as read.
Haha. You get an "A" for effort. If you don't understand AFTER reading, feel free to ask. Sometimes one person can explain something more clearly than another.

I still **** in pants thinking then how the pilots simply keep looking at the screen and just dont see the bird at all.
Need to reach that position someday.

I still **** in pants thinking then how the pilots simply keep looking at the screen and just dont see the bird at all.
Need to reach that position someday.

It's the only way to fly. As long as you're above any obstructions, what's the point of looking at the phantom?

Reactions: Jeronimo21
Hello all,

I am purchasing my first drone, specifically the P3A. I have no experience flying a drone, but having been doing a lot of research via YouTube and on this website. Is there anything I should know specifically as a first time user? If there is any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen some horror stories on some threads, and I am HOPING this will not happen to me haha..
I suggest getting a udi 818a and just play around with it first. Those little drones are **** near impossible to destroy. Real cheap as well. I paid $44 from eBay was at my door in three days. It's real light and doesn't do well in wind but you can learn all controls and get a good feel for flying.

My first drone is a P3P. I've only had it a week. I think these drones are excellent first drones. They are soooooo easy to fly. I have flown 3D planes, sport planes,and little indoor eflight helicopters, and nothing is as easy to fly (especially in beginner mode) as my P3P. Obviously you need to read the manual, watch some educational videos (DJI has some good ones too) and take it easy at first.

Also remember, if you think your heading for trouble just let go of the sticks, the drone will stop and hover in place. If you follow the preflight checks, and start out in beginner mode in an open area, you will not crash. When you first apply some throttle and it pops up in the air and sits there waiting for you to tell it what to do you will be amazed. Take it slow from there.

By now if you have a printed version of the manual you should have to reprint because you wore it out.
Learn and understand what all the setting do in GO.
Make sure your tablet or phone is configured so that GO will not crash it.
Have fun and bring fresh underwear, you may need them the first few flights.

Reactions: JohnnyB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves