First flight questions - iOSD, BTU, battery

Reaction score
Hey folks. I've spent the past few days upgrading my Phantom 2 with the following:

- Futaba 8FG
- DJI AVL58 TX
- Black Pearl 7" Monitor with built in RX
- Mini iOSD and BTU unit

Took it out for a test flight today and had a few issues that I'm scratching my head over. I'm not getting any data through the mini iOSD. I see the symbols (GPS, the "A" and "D", horizon indicator, battery level), but there is no data. No actual altitude or heading info. I got the fast green blinking lights on start up so I know it had good GPS (plus I tested forced failsafe and it returned to home), but I'm not getting any data. The little diamond in that shows direction to home just sits in the middle the entire time. But like I said it knows where home is because failsafe worked, but I'm not seeing the data on my monitor. The battery level seems to be all that I actually get.

Second, the BTU unit, which I daisy chained to the mini iOSD, does not seem to work. I believe I'm suppose to get a solid blue light but I get red. Nothing shows up when I search for a signal on my iPhone.

Third would be the battery. I was a little surprised at the low battery auto land kicking in. I thought I'd get some type of audible warning first, but maybe I didn't hear it. The LEDs went to quickly flashing red, and the unit tried pretty hard to land itself. On the ship's battery, I had one full bar plus one flashing. I guess that seems a little too soon to start the auto land sequence, I'm now paranoid about being far away from home and having the thing decide to land all of a sudden. I'm fairly new to the phantom so perhaps my understanding of the battery and the low voltage series of steps is not very high. Is it suppose to return to home and auto land or just decide to land wherever it is?

Thanks for the help

Did you upgrade the OSD firmware? It wont work properly until you do. BTU I cannot speak to. As for the battery, once you get the OSD running you'll be able to track the battery run down much more closely. If you want to be safe, don't let the battery get down to the third warning which I think is 10.6V. It will reduce the throttle automatically so you'll have to go almost full throttle to keep it from landing too hard.

Right on thanks. The update got my iOSD working, and now I know I can stop fiddling with the BTU for now. I think my battery is draining a bit faster than I expected, but it is pretty cold where I am so perhaps that is having an impact.

Yep, updating the iOSD is a must. Gives you nice data. Just installed mine a few days ago and updated it. Great flight today with it. Having OSD and FPV is like having a microwave. You think you don't need it but once you get one, you can't do without it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl