Firmware "update": Is this thing safe to fly or what?

I've yet to receive mine it's today hopefully

As its new what firmware do you think it will have on it and more importantly should I leave it as it is?

Is the update mandatory to work with the DJ apps?
Yours may come updated?

My replacement p3 finally came earlier this week. Background: My "old" P3 was completely bricked after latest update, compass was fully corrupted and unfixable.

New unit: Did a careful "cold" IMU calibration. Compass calibration. Mine came with the old firmware (I don't think any shipping now are fully updated to 1.26). Everything went great. Only issue I had was it took about 10 minutes and ten logins/"clicking next" to finally register my unit on my S6.. It kept freezing, reloading, "success" and then make me do it again and again..with different P3 names. FINALLY it worked and I could fly and it flew flawless. WILL NOT BE UPDATING FIRMWARE EVER AGAIN. Ruined 3 weeks of filming on multiple locations.

Reactions: AbsPapa
My replacement p3 finally came earlier this week. Background: My "old" P3 was completely bricked after latest update, compass was fully corrupted and unfixable.

New unit: Did a careful "cold" IMU calibration. Compass calibration. Mine came with the old firmware (I don't think any shipping now are fully updated to 1.26). Everything went great. Only issue I had was it took about 10 minutes and ten logins/"clicking next" to finally register my unit on my S6.. It kept freezing, reloading, "success" and then make me do it again and again..with different P3 names. FINALLY it worked and I could fly and it flew flawless. WILL NOT BE UPDATING FIRMWARE EVER AGAIN. Ruined 3 weeks of filming on multiple locations.
Glad you got a replacement and everything worked out for you!

Glad you got a replacement and everything worked out for you!

Thank you thank you.. Well, I am still waiting on the "processing" of my refund.. Amazon offered me an immediate refund bc the dealer was dragging their feet a little. I knew that would be negative for the dealer, so when the replied I am giving them a shot at it before having Amazon come in an shake them up a little. Unfortunately that means taking a ton of pictures and sending a written agreement saying this is in "new condition". I guess they want to make sure I didn't crash it.. Which is hard to do when it CANT FLY. So yeah I have the new one, but I am still (paid for from new dealer) waiting on my $1,300

Did DJI replace your old one under warranty or did you just scrap your old one and buy a new one?

I have to say this is the first time I've held back on updating my firmware. I'm still on 1.1.9. What specifically gave me reservations about upgrading is reports of reduced range with the FPV and talk of constant disconnects which I already experienced on my last flight with 1.1.9. It didn't ground me though but I thought if this newest firmware makes that issue worse or decreases range then why take the risk. I was hoping any day now dji will release a new firmware that would publicly correct all these reported issues. Especially VPS.

I hope the new DJI Pilot App version 1.20, just released today, doesn't cause anyone further problems.

RedHotPoker

I've taken a few 20,000' flights going about a mile away at certain points. All is good.

I haven't really posted it here yet, but I just want to speak up and say that I am one of the ones having issues after upgrading to 1.2.8 on my P3A. I can still fly, but I'm seeing weird issues. First of all, it just doesn't seem as rock solid stable in the air like it did before. I also had a weird issue last night when flying. I had full bars on both signal meters, and lots of sats, but the readout at the top of the screen said "NO SIGNAL." The video feed continued working flawlessly, so I ignored the "NO SIGNAL" sign, but it's still really weird stuff that's been happening.

My update went well also. I posted a YouTube video on my channel showing my stability and Pilot App test after the firmware and Pilot App upgrade. Channel is TWorldTV. Not an exciting video (thankfully), but did hover tests, telemetry tests, rotations, etc. All went well and had continued to go well after my upgrade. I performed the tests to see how my bird would react to the update. I kept it lower to the ground, and in a secluded area in case there was a mishap. Enjoy. Not a plug for my video, just a suggestion that everyone do the same if you're scared to fly your quad after an upgrade.
I watched your video yesterday and was happy I'm a fellow p3 owner. I was hoping you'd cover the new app version as well. Specifically the gimbal mode as I don't see it in my app anymore

Did DJI replace your old one under warranty or did you just scrap your old one and buy a new one?

The dealer is going to let me return the defective unit for a full refund, avoiding me having to go through the DJI warranty process. I assume they will do the DJI return/wait from their end. Amazon has told me DJI's warranty for a DEFECTIVE product issue not caused by the buyer is absurd (6-12 weeks and no guarantee of even getting a replacement) and they will process a refund/return if the dealer gives that as the only way go. My thoughts are that no dealer wants the wrath of amazon coming down on them for not refunding the buyer and if proper evidence is given that it wasn't a crash, they will refund/replace and then handle the DJI mess. Amazon doesn't mess around with this stuff and told me if I got any pushback that they would take care of it immediately. I didn't want to punish the dealer, so gave them another chance after they tried to get me to do a DJI claim, and finally got them to agree if I sent pictures of the undamaged unit with a statement that I didn't crash or damage it physically.

This may be a little off topic, but I'm doing the firmware update. When I power up the bird with the SD card containing the update the bird makes a continuous noise. Actually, it's 3 short bursts that repeats. Sounds like it might be coming from the gimball. Anybody know anything about this? I'm a newbie; one flight and this is my first update.

This may be a little off topic, but I'm doing the firmware update. When I power up the bird with the SD card containing the update the bird makes a continuous noise. Actually, it's 3 short bursts that repeats. Sounds like it might be coming from the gimball. Anybody know anything about this? I'm a newbie; one flight and this is my first update.
I am definitely no expert, but I had difficulty similar to yours when I tried to update. My update would not automatically start when I powered my craft up. You might not want to update anyway. Have you been reading some of the problams arising after some have updated?

Mines arrived but I cannot open it tonight, its my daughters prom night, priorities and all that ;)

I will check it tomorrow so I have something to look forwards too :)

I thought this last update was going to sort out my problems, it updated fine, but is riddled with issues that I am seeing all over the forums, VPS gone, drifting, under 3m it wants to land, reduced signal range...
What I don't understand is why the "die hards" get so defensive when someone suggest that it may not be safe to fly. Most of you who don't have these issues dont know what those of us who have the issues are going through. Initially I thought it was just my tablet then it was proven to be the P3P...

It seems every update makes it less safe... FACT!

As I have always said DJI should be ashamed of what they are releasing... yip I said it...

60 flights in two weeks and no issues with the new firmware. Tested VPS at 3ft and it followed over a hill maintaining 3ft the whole way. GPS solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl